1. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 24
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit
       04 Sep 2015 #1

    Windows Defender annoying message!!!!


    "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer"

    Appears at every reboot.

    How do I turn off this f*@king message? I've uninstalled Avira and now have only MSE running which according to MS is now called/migrated to Windows Defender and built in to Win10. When I look at Update & Security the Windows Defender settings are all greyed out and switched ON.

    When I click on the relevant system tray the icon it is called MS Security Essentials!

    When I go to Programs and Features it appears as MS Security Essentials

    So MS make up your mind, it's either one or the other. More importantly how do I get rid of this annoying message?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (build 10586)
       04 Sep 2015 #2

    For some reason, Microsoft Security Essentials is sometimes carried over from Windows 7 in an upgrade, although Windows 10 already has Windows Defender which offers protection from spyware and viruses. MSE can't be uninstalled because when you try to run the uninstaller, it thinks that you are trying to install it in Windows 10 and says that you don't need it, although you're trying to uninstall it. You could try manually removing the registry entries and files, but I wouldn't recommend that. You could also try refreshing the computer, which will get rid of Defender but also all of your other programs, unfortunately, or downgrade back to Windows 7, uninstall it there, and upgrade back to Windows 10 which will take a while.

    Microsoft may release a fix sometime, so I'd recommend waiting for an update before doing any of this which resolves the problem.

    Refresh the computer: Windows 10 Forums
    Downgrade to Windows 7: How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (build 10586)
       04 Sep 2015 #3

    Note that you only have 1 month to downgrade. Otherwise, you're stuck with 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 10,898
    Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 TP / Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Pro
       05 Sep 2015 #4

    When an AV program isn't completely removed, you can't turn on Windows Defender.

    Best to try to uninstall Avira manually, how to uninstall Avira manually
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 24
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit
       10 Sep 2015 #5

    You said: View Post
    For some reason, Microsoft Security Essentials is sometimes carried over from Windows 7 in an upgrade, although Windows 10 already has Windows Defender which offers protection from spyware and viruses. MSE can't be uninstalled because when you try to run the uninstaller, it thinks that you are trying to install it in Windows 10 and says that you don't need it, although you're trying to uninstall it. You could try manually removing the registry entries and files, but I wouldn't recommend that. You could also try refreshing the computer, which will get rid of Defender but also all of your other programs, unfortunately, or downgrade back to Windows 7, uninstall it there, and upgrade back to Windows 10 which will take a while.

    Microsoft may release a fix sometime, so I'd recommend waiting for an update before doing any of this which resolves the problem.

    Refresh the computer: Windows 10 Forums
    Downgrade to Windows 7: How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1
    Thank you for your reply I think I'll have to live with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 149
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       16 Sep 2015 #6

    You said: View Post
    Note that you only have 1 month to downgrade. Otherwise, you're stuck with 10.
    Or you just re-download the ISO for Windows 7 and re-install it... making a backup of current files first of course...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 24
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit
       16 Sep 2015 #7

    garydexter said: View Post
    Or you just re-download the ISO for Windows 7 and re-install it... making a backup of current files first of course...
    The only worry I have with that is when I previously tried to upgrade to 10 using the media creation tool to create a Win10 installation media and install it, it would not recognise my product key. When I allowed the upgrade via the system tray notifications it worked fine.
    What do you think?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 149
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       16 Sep 2015 #8

    It won't take the Windows 7 product key - correct

    A. you need to do an in-place upgrade first
    B. Activation will occur when you are in Windows 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 24
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit
       16 Sep 2015 #9

    garydexter said: View Post
    It won't take the Windows 7 product key - correct

    A. you need to do an in-place upgrade first
    B. Activation will occur when you are in Windows 10
    Correct

    I've done 'A'.
    'B' I know this already.

    Not sure what question or concern you're trying to answer, could you please clarify.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 149
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       17 Sep 2015 #10

    Gusgf said: View Post
    Correct

    I've done 'A'.
    'B' I know this already.

    Not sure what question or concern you're trying to answer, could you please clarify.
    The only worry I have with that is when I previously tried to upgrade to 10 using the media creation tool to create a Win10 installation media and install it, it would not recognise my product key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can't disable "Windows Defender: This app is turned off..." Message
Hello! I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 recently on two separate PCs. After the upgrade, I installed Bit Defender Internet Security on both of them. My problem though is with only one of the two machines. On one of the PC's, as Windows...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
ISO corruption , very annoying.
I am using the links provided by "ten forums" , i have the "https everywhere" extension enabled , could this be an issue. Thanks
Installation and Setup
Solved Very annoying pop-up
I keep seeing this very annoying pop-up but cannot work out how to stop it. It often pops up in Wordpad or Word, and in other places too. 32359 It looks as if it is for people to write on with a tablet pen and Windows then interprets the...
Software and Apps
Annoying .exe file
30952 can somebody help me to remove this? It open once in while. Thanks #windows10home
Software and Apps
Mega annoying fault (all Windows not just W10)
Hi there I seem to have a really annoying fault on ANY windows OS (doesn't happen on Linux). Sometimes the HDD's seem to be "quiesced" and if say I use Windows explorer it takes (or seems to take) ages for the program to work (or any other...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums