Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop not accepting Bitlocker Recovery Keys


  1. Posts : 40
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro
       #1

    Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop not accepting Bitlocker Recovery Keys


    I wanted to start in Safe Mode because my TrackPad is not working (I may have originally done something to turn it off altogether when I got the computer eight months ago) but it asks me for my Bitlocker Recovery Key each time...I don't remember ever setting this up but I finally found it and enter the six numbers but it tells they are incorrect (there are about eight listed, i tried 2-3 of them but none of them worked, the recovery ID matches what my computer says).


    Is there a way around this? Thanks


    Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1415)
      My Computer

  2. MaloK's Avatar
    Posts : 1,439
    Windows 7 Pro
       #2

    The BitLocker recovery key is a 48 Digit chain, If you can access the laptop normally you can get you recovery keys.

    In an administrative command prompt:

    Code:
    manage-bde -protectors C: -get
    Repeat the command for every encrypted drives in your system.

    Note all the recovery keys you need.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 40
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    MaloK said:
    The BitLocker recovery key is a 48 Digit chain, If you can access the laptop normally you can get you recovery keys.
    In an administrative command prompt:

    Code:
    manage-bde -protectors C: -get
    Repeat the command for every encrypted drives in your system.

    Note all the recovery keys you need.
    And what will this do then, stop it from asking for the BL key each time I try to start in Safe Mode?
      My Computer

  4. MaloK's Avatar
    Posts : 1,439
    Windows 7 Pro
       #4

    No, But it will give you access to your Encrypted drives.
      My Computers

  5. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,750
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 21H1 (19043.1023
       #5

    surfer2938 said:
    but I finally found it and enter the six numbers but it tells they are incorrect (there are about eight listed, i tried 2-3 of them but none of them worked, the recovery ID matches what my computer says).
    The eight-digit key is the key ID that tells you what recovery key to use (imaged edited for security reasons...

    Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop not accepting Bitlocker Recovery Keys-screenshot-2022-01-02-095446.png

    Here you see the Key ID code and next to it is the corresponding recovery key. So if the codes E80024E, you'll need to find the corresponding key which here would be 16965-175505.... That's the 48-digit key you need to input.

    Hope that helps
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 40
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Hi
    I only have one device though, mine looks like this (minus the red smudges of course):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop not accepting Bitlocker Recovery Keys-screenshot_20220106-092200.png  
      My Computer

  7. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,750
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 21H1 (19043.1023
       #7

    OK, so what's the issue?

    Simply input the 48-digit code (Recovery Key) when asked for. Make sure the keys are correctly inputted.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 40
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    sygnus21 said:
    OK, so what's the issue?

    Simply input the 48-digit code (Recovery Key) when asked for. Make sure the keys are correctly inputted.
    I guess I misunderstood what they were asking for you, I thought it was eight separate six digit codes but you're saying it's one 48-digit code that should be entered in a row (I'll try it).

    Thanks it worked!
    Last edited by surfer2938; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:52.
      My Computer

  9. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,750
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 21H1 (19043.1023
       #9

    surfer2938 said:
    I guess I misunderstood what they were asking for you, I thought it was eight separate six digit codes but you're saying it's one 48-digit code that should be entered in a row (I'll try it).

    Thanks it worked!
    Happy to hear it. And thanks
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums