Folder Protection Question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 389
    Windows 10 (21H1)
       #1

    Folder Protection Question


    How can I place hard protection on a folder to prevent Defender and all other security software from nuking the contents they don't like?

    -thank you
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,643
    Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit 21H2
       #2

    That would mean the folder probably has some Pirated Software or Cracks.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #3

    MourningStar said:
    How can I place hard protection on a folder to prevent Defender and all other security software from nuking the contents they don't like?

    -thank you
    Windows Security/Virus and Threat Protection Settings/Exclusions/+Add an exclusion/folder...
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,643
    Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit 21H2
       #4

    You can also Zip the contents of the folder.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,614
    Windows 10 Home
       #5

    spunk said:
    That would mean the folder probably has some Pirated Software or Cracks.
    Not always. I have plenty of ligit software and utilities in my ScanExclude folder, along with excludes listed in a few security programs.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 389
    Windows 10 (21H1)
    Thread Starter
       #6

    RolandJS said:
    Not always. I have plenty of ligit software and utilities in my ScanExclude folder, along with excludes listed in a few security programs.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 389
    Windows 10 (21H1)
    Thread Starter
       #7

    spunk said:
    That would mean the folder probably has some Pirated Software or Cracks.
    . This reply is a little silly I have old legit W95-era apps that still work on W10, but a few are getting nuked. No idea why some do and others don't.

    Edwin said:
    Windows Security/Virus and Threat Protection Settings/Exclusions/+Add an exclusion/folder...
    This reply is very helpful - thank you Edwin!

    spunk said:
    You can also Zip the contents of the folder.
    This reply is also 'somewhat' helpful - thank you (totally forgot about this one...)
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 24,530
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    spunk said:
    You can also Zip the contents of the folder.
    MourningStar said:
    This reply is also 'somewhat' helpful - thank you (totally forgot about this one...)

    Actually Defender can scan inside a .zip file as easily as it can any other folder. You would need to password protect the files when you zip them, a feature that's missing in Explorer. Use 7-Zip or similar.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 389
    Windows 10 (21H1)
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Bree said:
    Actually Defender can scan inside a .zip file as easily as it can any other folder. You would need to password protect the files when you zip them, a feature that's missing in Explorer. Use 7-Zip or similar.
    This reply is helpful - thank you Bree
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 227
    Win 10 1809 LTSC
       #10

    Either exclude the folder, or go to the defender log and whitelist all the entries, Defender usually quarantines rather than wiping.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums