MalwareBytes free version? Can only get free trial. NOT the same!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 (1903)
       #1

    MalwareBytes free version? Can only get free trial. NOT the same!


    Hi, I used to do a manual scan every few weeks with MalwareBytes, but I can't seem to do that now.

    Am I missing something? I click the free version and it installs the full version for a free trial, and it is running ALL the time!

    The reason I need it is my laptop is slow enough. I don't want anything running the whole time.

    Any suggestions please?

    Thanks


    64 bit
    Windows Feature Experience Pack
    120.2212.5510
    Last edited by Photo; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:29. Reason: correction
      My Computer

  2. clam1952's Avatar
    Posts : 812
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.928
       #2

    Click on the settings icon on the right then account, should be able cancel the trial and it will revert to free.

    Curiously here on the last update it didn't activate the trial and remained free.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 (1903)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    clam1952 said:
    Click on the settings icon on the right then account, should be able cancel the trial and it will revert to free.

    Curiously here on the last update it didn't activate the trial and remained free.
    Hi thank you.

    I couldn't do anything without having to give them my email address.

    I did not give them my email address, so are you saying I have to register with an email address to have that option?

    Thanks
      My Computer

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,071
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #4

    Photo said:
    Hi thank you.

    I couldn't do anything without having to give them my email address.

    I did not give them my email address, so are you saying I have to register with an email address to have that option?

    Thanks
    Just skip the email part. It's not mandatory.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 38,354
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #5

    If you want you can completely uninstall the software.
    Cache and cookies can be cleaned too.
    Then you can reinstall the software.

    Years ago I'd communicated with their support via email for false positive reads and it was a productive experience.
      My Computer

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,071
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #6

    This is the uninstall that should be used. It is quite thorough and easily walks you thru uninstall/reinstall.

    https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/...s-Support-Tool
      My Computers

  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,474
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #7

    Hi there

    Who needs it any more on latest versions of W10 -- W10 W defender works better than any typical A/V product on HOME type computers / Lans -- don't waste your time any more with 3rd party A.V products on Home systems. In any case these days for (again Home type computers) it's not weird and eseoteric viruses that's the problem --you are much more likely to get scammed by often simple things -- and this needs BRAIN as most of this can't be controlled by software.

    These 3rd party products were fine for previous versions of Windows but are so last century (C20), - quarter way almost through C21 - different problems and solutions are needed.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 (1903)
    Thread Starter
       #8

    f14tomcat said:
    This is the uninstall that should be used. It is quite thorough and easily walks you thru uninstall/reinstall.

    https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/...s-Support-Tool


    Hi thank you all

    I did uninstall, but prior to that, I could not find an option to do anything at all without giving my email address.
    I did fill out the survey when I uninstalled. I told them I didn't want it running all the time.

    Thanks

    - - - Updated - - -

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    Who needs it any more on latest versions of W10 -- W10 W defender works better than any typical A/V product on HOME type computers / Lans -- don't waste your time any more with 3rd party A.V products on Home systems. In any case these days for (again Home type computers) it's not weird and eseoteric viruses that's the problem --you are much more likely to get scammed by often simple things -- and this needs BRAIN as most of this can't be controlled by software.

    These 3rd party products were fine for previous versions of Windows but are so last century (C20), - quarter way almost through C21 - different problems and solutions are needed.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Hi thank you

    The reason I wanted to do a Malware scan was I got something on my laptop called zopener. It was a text file and I googled it. I found that zopener.exe was some sort of trojan or malware.

    So I deleted it, but wanted to do a scan, as I had opened the text file previously. I ran Spybot first and that just found a load of cookies. I did Malwarebytes under the "free trial" and that found nothing!

    So I'm none the wiser. I still don't know if I have malware or not.
    thanks
      My Computer

  9. Technewbie's Avatar
    Posts : 36
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.867
       #9

    I had this same problem, this usually occurs when u re-install without a clean uninstall.

    As said by @f14tomcat, follow this guide whenever u want to re-install Malwarebytes if u don't want a window that u cannot skip unless by giving an email ->
    https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/...s-Support-Tool

    - - - Updated - - -

    Photo said:
    The reason I wanted to do a Malware scan was I got something on my laptop called zopener. It was a text file and I googled it. I found that zopener.exe was some sort of trojan or malware.

    So I deleted it, but wanted to do a scan, as I had opened the text file previously. I ran Spybot first and that just found a load of cookies. I did Malwarebytes under the "free trial" and that found nothing!

    So I'm none the wiser. I still don't know if I have malware or not.
    thanks
    Here is clean version of malwarebytes if you want(install this after u followed the guide I posted in the previous reply) :) ->
    https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

    I also suggest you to scan with kaspersky free cloud if u want to be 100% sure->
    Download Free Antivirus 2021 for PC, Android, iOS | Kaspersky

    & finally if you're sure that the virus was deleted remove both malwarebytes & kaspersky and let windows defender take care of your pc with its real time protection :D
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 (1903)
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Technewbie said:
    I had this same problem, this usually occurs when u re-install without a clean uninstall.

    As said by @f14tomcat, follow this guide whenever u want to re-install Malwarebytes if u don't want a window that u cannot skip unless by giving an email ->
    https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/...s-Support-Tool

    - - - Updated - - -



    Here is clean version of malwarebytes if you want(install this after u followed the guide I posted in the previous reply) :) ->
    https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb4_offline

    I also suggest you to scan with kaspersky free cloud if u want to be 100% sure->
    Download Free Antivirus 2021 for PC, Android, iOS | Kaspersky

    & finally if you're sure that the virus was deleted remove both malwarebytes & kaspersky and let windows defender take care of your pc with its real time protection
    "...the guide I posted in the previous reply) :) ->"

    Thanks
    Sorry I cannot see any other reply from you. Do you mean on another thread?
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums