I cannot disable Antimalware Service in Win 10 Home

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 80
    Windows 10 Home Version:21H2 Build:19044.1469
       #1

    I cannot disable Antimalware Service in Win 10 Home


    Hi

    I'm using my pc for audio work and i want to keep it permanently offline, so I need to disable all these background services taking up my resources. I followed some instructions I found from the internet and nothing works.
    My version: Windows 10 Home 1903 build: 18362.1082

    I ran REGEDIT as administrator.

    Then went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
    Created a DWORD 32bit, named it DisableAntiSpyware

    Then I create a Key inside Windows Defender folder, named it Real-Time Protection, then put in there the following DWORD 32 bit:

    DisableBehaviorMonitoring
    DisableOnAccessProtection
    DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable

    Everything at value 1, hexadecimal base. Then I restarted windows, and indeed Antimalware service wasnt running anymore, until... I restarted a few times and the pesky thing was there.

    I had a look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender, and the DisableAntiSpyware that I created wasnt there anymore.

    Please help.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 36,383
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    Note that Defender is itself defended against attacks, and will try to enable itself again if disabled, other than by a 3rd party AV being installed.
    How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

    In Windows 10, you can turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus real-time protection, but it will only be temporary. Windows will automatically turn real-time protection back on if it's off for a while.
    I believe you are seeing known behaviour.

    Your specs say you have Pro, so I would have suggested rather than fiddling with the registry, you might have better luck using the group policy editor - however the title refers to Home.
    I cannot disable Antimalware Service in Win 10 Home-1.png

    Some of the options there appear to be appropriate.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 18,634
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1889 (x64) [21H2]
       #3

    saresu said:
    Hi

    I'm using my pc for audio work and i want to keep it permanently offline, so I need to disable all these background services taking up my resources. I followed some instructions I found from the internet and nothing works.
    My version: Windows 10 Home 1903 build: 18362.1082

    I ran REGEDIT as administrator.

    Then went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
    Created a DWORD 32bit, named it DisableAntiSpyware

    Then I create a Key inside Windows Defender folder, named it Real-Time Protection, then put in there the following DWORD 32 bit:

    DisableBehaviorMonitoring
    DisableOnAccessProtection
    DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable

    Everything at value 1, hexadecimal base. Then I restarted windows, and indeed Antimalware service wasnt running anymore, until... I restarted a few times and the pesky thing was there.

    I had a look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender, and the DisableAntiSpyware that I created wasnt there anymore.

    Please help.




    Get Autoruns, here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...loads/autoruns

    Install it, and run the program. In the programs search box, type: windows defender

    UNcheck everything except what's marked with RED dot. Reboot the computer.
    Then open "Services" and disable the Windows Defender entries.



    I cannot disable Antimalware Service in Win 10 Home-image1.png





    That's it. That will stop Windows Defender, completely.
    Last edited by Ghot; 23 Sep 2020 at 02:33.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 80
    Windows 10 Home Version:21H2 Build:19044.1469
    Thread Starter
       #4

    dalchina said:
    Note that Defender is itself defended against attacks, and will try to enable itself again if disabled, other than by a 3rd party AV being installed.
    How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Defender Antivirus in Windows 10



    I believe you are seeing known behaviour.

    Your specs say you have Pro, so I would have suggested rather than fiddling with the registry, you might have better luck using the group policy editor - however the title refers to Home.
    I cannot disable Antimalware Service in Win 10 Home-1.png

    Some of the options there appear to be appropriate.
    Hi, No longer PRO. I should have had updated my specs. Sorry. That's why I'm using regedit

    - - - Updated - - -

    Ghot said:
    Get Autoruns, here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...loads/autoruns

    Install it, and run the program. In the programs search box, type: windows defender

    UNcheck everything except what's marked with RED dot. Reboot the computer.
    The open Services and disable Windows Defender entries.



    I cannot disable Antimalware Service in Win 10 Home-image1.png





    That's it. That will stop Windows Defender, completely.

    I didnt find any file related to windows defender



    I cannot disable Antimalware Service in Win 10 Home-2020-09-23-16_30_05-window.png
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 18,634
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1889 (x64) [21H2]
       #5

    saresu said:
    Hi, No longer PRO. I should have had updated my specs. Sorry. That's why I'm using regedit

    - - - Updated - - -




    I didnt find any file related to windows defender



    You have to type: Windows defender in the search box at the top left of Autoruns.

    Where it says: filter
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 80
    Windows 10 Home Version:21H2 Build:19044.1469
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Ghot said:
    You have to type: Windows defender in the search box at the top left of Autoruns.
    Yep.

    Zero results.
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 18,634
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1889 (x64) [21H2]
       #7

    saresu said:
    Yep.

    Zero results.
    You see the picture I posted, right?



    Maybe your registry edits worked...try this... in the taskbar search box type: Services

    The scroll down to the W's and see if you can disable the Windows defender service(s)

    Just double click on any Windows Defender Service, and see if you can choose "disable" in the drop down box.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 80
    Windows 10 Home Version:21H2 Build:19044.1469
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Ghot said:
    You see the picture I posted, right?
    Yes. And I believe we're communicating in English.

    Top left of Autoruns, there's a box called Filter, type "windows defender". Got it.

    But no results came. Nothing.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 18,634
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1889 (x64) [21H2]
       #9

    saresu said:
    Yes. And I believe we're communicating in English.

    Top left of Autoruns, there's a box called Filter, type "windows defender". Got it.

    But no results came. Nothing.


    Ok, do this...

    go back up to my original post and download Autoruns again, from the Microsoft link... it's a newer version.
    Then uninstall the one you have now, and INSTALL the one from Microsoft.

    The only other difference is I'm on Win 10 Home v2004, rather than 1903?


    The version of Autoruns I'm using is the 13.98 version... the one from the Microsoft link.
    I couldn't disable the Windows Defender Services, until I did the Autoruns step. They were all greyed out, in Services.




    /edit

    Maybe @dalchina can check with Autoruns, for us. Even though he is on Win 10 Pro, he IS on version 1903, like you are.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 80
    Windows 10 Home Version:21H2 Build:19044.1469
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Ghot said:
    Ok, do this...

    go back up to my original post and download Autoruns again, from the Microsoft link... it's a newer version.
    Then uninstall the one you have now, and INSTALL the one from Microsoft.

    The only other difference is I'm on Win 10 Home v2004, rather than 1903?


    The version of Autoruns I'm using is the 13.98... the one from the Microsoft link.
    I couldn't disable the Windows defender Services, until I did the Autoruns step. They were all greyed out.




    /edit

    Maybe @dlachina can check with Autoruns, for us. Even though he is on Win 10 Pro, he IS on version 1903, like you are.
    Which of them should I use?
    Autoruns.exe
    Autoruns64.exe
    Autoruns64a.exe Autorunsc.exe
    Autorunsc64.exe
    Autorunsc64a.exe

    I tried some of them anyway and I got the same result, which is nothing.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums