Uninstall MALWAREBYTES... does it unquarantine malware?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 819
    10
       #1

    Uninstall MALWAREBYTES... does it unquarantine malware?


    Greetings,

    I was helping a friend who got in a situation. So I installed MALWAREBYTES and found a ton of stuff. I quarantined. But then it sort of took over Windows Defender in an undesired way so I uninstalled it. An hour later I wondered --

    -- if the malware it found is now... urm... free again?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 18,201
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19045.1806 (x64) [22H2]
       #2

    The Pool Man said:
    Greetings,

    I was helping a friend who got in a situation. So I installed MALWAREBYTES and found a ton of stuff. I quarantined. But then it sort of took over Windows Defender in an undesired way so I uninstalled it. An hour later I wondered --

    -- if the malware it found is now... urm... free again?

    Depends a lot on whether "the malware" it found was removed, or JUST quarantined. I haven't run MBAM for a while but it used to ask for a reboot to remove everything it couldn't remove from within Windows.
    It shouldn't have permanently left anything in quarantine.

    You could always run the ESET Online Scanner to double check. Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET | ESET


    /e If the problem is really dug in... you might try Bleeping Computer. They will walk you through the removal of ANY infection. Just scroll down to the Security section of their forums, here...
    Bleeping Computer Technical Support Forums
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 913
    Win 10
       #3

    The Pool Man said:
    Greetings,

    I was helping a friend who got in a situation. So I installed MALWAREBYTES and found a ton of stuff. I quarantined. But then it sort of took over Windows Defender in an undesired way so I uninstalled it. An hour later I wondered --

    -- if the malware it found is now... urm... free again?
    No, it does not release the malware. Be aware it will delete the quarantine and if there was a false positive, you would not be able to restore the files even if you reinstall MB.
    Second. Since Malwarebytes is now an antivirus "replacement" it will disable Defender like any other AV program if using the trial or the paid version.
    The trial is installed by default and if you are not going to use your key or purchase a subscription you need to deactivate the trial and defender will come back on.
    Or you can turn off Malwarebytes from registering in the Windows security center.
    Uninstall MALWAREBYTES... does it unquarantine malware?-turn-off-register-secuity-center-mb.png
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,416
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 64 bit
       #4

    Porthos said:
    No, it does not release the malware. Be aware it will delete the quarantine and if there was a false positive, you would not be able to restore the files even if you reinstall MB.
    Second. Since Malwarebytes is now an antivirus "replacement" it will disable Defender like any other AV program if using the trial or the paid version.
    The trial is installed by default and if you are not going to use your key or purchase a subscription you need to deactivate the trial and defender will come back on.
    Or you can turn off Malwarebytes from registering in the Windows security center.
    Uninstall MALWAREBYTES... does it unquarantine malware?-turn-off-register-secuity-center-mb.png
    That is the biggest mistake Malwarebytes has made by Registering with Windows Security Center by default.
    As you can see a lot of people don't know to turn off that option. Why don't they turn it off by default??

    Jim
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 819
    10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ghot said:
    Depends a lot on whether "the malware" it found was removed, or JUST quarantined.
    Just quarantined. I'll say it didn't make it obvious how to delete what was found. (I was using Quick Assist to help my friend and her screen was significantly smaller than mine... in the eyesight sense.)

    Thanks for your thoughts
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 819
    10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Porthos said:
    Since Malwarebytes is now an antivirus "replacement" it will disable Defender like any other AV program if using the trial or the paid version.
    EEEeek! The version on my systems is just the free expired version. This new approach is a bit pushy.

    Thanks for all your great info!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 124,712
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #7

    I have never turned OFF Malwarebytes from registering in the Windows security center, and I've had no issues or problems.
    Runs just fine with Windows Defender.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 154
    Windows 10
       #8

    OldMike 65, if you let MB register in the security center as as anti-virus then Windows is supposed to shut of Defender as only 1 anti-virus can be registered at a time. You better check to see if your Defender is still working, if both are working and MB is registered then something is not right.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 124,712
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #9

    Digmor Crusher said:
    OldMike 65, if you let MB register in the security center as as anti-virus then Windows is supposed to shut of Defender as only 1 anti-virus can be registered at a time. You better check to see if your Defender is still working, if both are working and MB is registered then something is not right.
    Defender is on, plus when I do shut MB down ....Defender automatically takes over. So when MB is on and running Defender just monitors . I have no issues with the way I have it setup.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 913
    Win 10
       #10

    OldMike65 said:
    Defender is on, plus when I do shut MB down ....Defender automatically takes over. So when MB is on and running Defender just monitors . I have no issues with the way I have it setup.
    Are you sure defender is on? If the Windows security center looks like this Defender is OFF.
    Uninstall MALWAREBYTES... does it unquarantine malware?-secuity-center.png
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums