Sandboxie error: SBIE2102 File too large 957837253  


  1. Posts : 358
    Windows 10 Home 21H2
       #1

    Sandboxie error: SBIE2102 File too large 957837253


    I have Sandboxie 5.31.6 on Windows 10 Pro.

    I get the following error
    - SBIE2102 File too large 957837253

    If the final number is bytes, then I've never seen a file that size

    I would be grateful for any advice.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 56,676
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #2

    OldGrantonian said:
    I have Sandboxie 5.31.6 on Windows 10 Pro.

    I get the following error
    - SBIE2102 File too large 957837253

    If the final number is bytes, then I've never seen a file that size

    I would be grateful for any advice.
    That's just under 1TB, and suspiciously about the same total as the usable/available space on a 1TB drive. What were you doing when you got that error?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 654
    Windows 10 Home
       #3

    OldGrantonian said:
    I have Sandboxie 5.31.6 on Windows 10 Pro.

    I get the following error
    - SBIE2102 File too large 957837253

    If the final number is bytes, then I've never seen a file that size

    I would be grateful for any advice.
    Hi Grantonian, I am going to give you two answers, a short one and a long one.

    In short, almost 100% of the time when you get that message, you can ignore it, close it, and continue doing what you are doing. And not mind it.

    The long one. By default, to programs running in a sandbox, files outside the sandbox are Read only. Before files can be modified by sandboxed programs, a copy of the file has to be migrated/copied into the sandbox. By default, the maximum size of files that can be copied into the sandbox is 49MB. Whenever a sandboxed program wants to modify a file that's larger than 49MB, a Sandboxie message 2102 gets issued. This is why you got the message.

    You have 3 choices. One, ignore and close the message and continue doing what you are doing. Two, increase the size for files that are copied into the sandbox. The problem with doing this is that, if you increase the size allowed for files to be copied, the copying process might take a while. The 49MB default size covers most situations. Personally, I have never had a need to change the 49Mb default size.Three, if the sandboxed program is a program you "trust", you can allow it to have Direct file access to the large file. You set this up in Sandbox settings>File migration. By doing this you would be allowing the bypassing of the sandboxing effect on this file. The file would no longer be Read only. Changes to this file would go straight through, they would not stay in the sandbox. And you wont get the message.

    Bo
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 358
    Windows 10 Home 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #4

    .
    f14tomcat said:

    That's just under 1TB, and suspiciously about the same total as the usable/available space on a 1TB drive. What were you doing when you got that error?
    .
    Apart from Chrome browsing, the only executables that I've run today are Anki and Windows Defender.


    You can see my other Win Def post today. The window was empty.


    Soon after that the SB error popped up.


    After your reply, I rebooted.


    Win Def now works OK, but I still get the SB error.


    I'll scan all the installed executables on OS (C:), and then report back on this thread.


    Thanks.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 56,676
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #5

    OldGrantonian said:
    .
    .
    Apart from Chrome browsing, the only executables that I've run today are Anki and Windows Defender.


    You can see my other Win Def post today. The window was empty.


    Soon after that the SB error popped up.


    After your reply, I rebooted.


    Win Def now works OK, but I still get the SB error.


    I'll scan all the installed executables on OS (C:), and then report back on this thread.


    Thanks.
    Make sure you read Bo's post to see if that's your situation.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 358
    Windows 10 Home 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #6

    .
    Hi @bo elam. Thanks for your usual detailed response.
    .
    bo elam said:
    ...almost 100% of the time when you get that message, you can ignore it, close it, and continue doing what you are doing.
    .
    That was my first response.

    But the message kept returning after maybe 15-30 seconds. Each time I closed - it returned.

    I wasn't too keen on having a 1TB file in my sandbox - as @f14tomcat mentioned.

    .
    bo elam said:
    ...files outside the sandbox are Read only. Before files can be modified by sandboxed programs, a copy of the file has to be migrated/copied into the sandbox.
    .
    I'm fine with that.
    .
    bo elam said:
    Two, increase the size for files that are copied into the sandbox. The problem with doing this is that, if you increase the size allowed for files to be copied, the copying process might take a while. The 49MB default size covers most situations.
    .
    Well, I increased the size by one step. And - so far - the nag hasn't recurred


    But I'm not quite sure how a single-step increase can accommodate a 1-TB file - but "ours is not to reason why".

    Thanks.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 654
    Windows 10 Home
       #7

    OldGrantonian said:
    .Thanks for your usual detailed response.
    You are welcome, Grantonian.
    OldGrantonian said:
    .
    But the message kept returning after maybe 15-30 seconds. Each time I closed - it returned.

    I wasn't too keen on having a 1TB file in my sandbox - as @f14tomcat mentioned.
    You can keep message 2102 from reappearing/being issued. In Sandbox settings>File migration, Click, "Dont issue a message when a file is too large to migrate". Look at bottom of screen.

    Sandboxie error: SBIE2102 File too large 957837253-6.jpg

    The 957837253 figure in your message was in bites, not KB. So, that was a 913 MB file, not 913GB.

    The Sandboxie message gives you more information than the size, it also gives you the name of the file that's too large to be copied into the sandbox. So, after knowing the name, you can navigate to the file. And find out what it is. See here below. One way I know how to reproduce the 2102 SBIE message is by running a Firefox installer in a sandbox, to upgrade Firefox in a sandbox. So, I just did that now, and got the 2102 message. In the message (picture below), you can see the name of the file (xul.dll), the name of the sandbox where the message was issued and file size.

    Sandboxie error: SBIE2102 File too large 957837253-2.jpg

    The figure there above, in bytes, matches the size of the file in KB here, in the Firefox installation folder. Look for xul.dll at the bottom of this picture.

    Sandboxie error: SBIE2102 File too large 957837253-4.jpg

    OldGrantonian said:
    .
    Well, I increased the size by one step. And - so far - the nag hasn't recurred
    Good to hear.

    Bo
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums