Advise wanted for new anti virus application  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 60
    Windows 10Pro
       #1

    Advise wanted for new anti virus application


    Hi.
    I've been having a few issues with Avast so I decided to remove it and look for another application.

    Big mistake,... it's taken several hours to get my PC backup and running, with lots of issue uninstalling and then after a reboot the Avast installer started and reinstalled itself, that and the following uninstall took over an hour and half to complete !

    Once I'd got rid of it and my PC was working well I installed AVG, not knowing it was the same company.
    After another hour installing, I gave up reboot and cleaned the PC again.

    I think the speed issue is at avast/avg's end. When the installer was downloading it was very slow. Testing my download speed it's fast with no issues.

    Now I'm looking for advise on what antivirus app to us. I'm happy to use free, and will consider buying.

    I already have Super AntiSpyware, Malwarebytes free and windows defender installed.
    What would people recommend ?

    Thanks
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 13,301
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 21H2 19044.1526
       #2

    I currently run Malwarebytes and windows defender with no problems.
    I had to uninstall Norton from another machine due to slowdowns
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 6,300
    22H2 64 Bit Pro
       #3

    TomT said:
    Hi.
    I've been having a few issues with Avast so I decided to remove it and look for another application.

    Big mistake,... it's taken several hours to get my PC backup and running, with lots of issue uninstalling and then after a reboot the Avast installer started and reinstalled itself, that and the following uninstall took over an hour and half to complete !
    Did you use the dedicated removal tool?

    Using the Uninstall Utility for Avast Antivirus | Official Avast Support
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,038
    Windows 10/11 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #4

    @TomT -

    Ensure that Avast is completely uninstalled - cleanly.

    Windows Defender for your AV and FW.
    Malwarebytes Free on-demand to further check (second opinion.)
    SuperAntiSpyware Free on-demand to further check (third opinion.)

    That should do it on the basic level.

      My Computer


  5. Posts : 18,321
    Windows 11 Pro
       #5

    TomT said:
    I already have Super AntiSpyware, Malwarebytes free and windows defender installed.
    What would people recommend ?

    Thanks
    I would recommend that you remove Super AntiSpyware and Malwarebytes too. I've got about 10 computers on my home network running nothing but Windows Defender and common sense and the only malware problem I have ever had was on my late father-in-laws computer and he had no common sense whatsoever and would click on every popup window and link in email that came up. A simple disk cleaning, deleting all temporary internet files would fix his indiscretions. His computer was also the only one in the house that ever had any problems with Windows updates/upgrades.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 329
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       #6

    NavyLCDR said:
    I would recommend that you remove Super AntiSpyware and Malwarebytes too.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 60
    Windows 10Pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Callender said:
    Yes I did. Still took a very long time for it to complete.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 579
    Windows10 Home 64 bit v. 22H2 bld. 19045.2604
       #8

    Quite some time ago, I accidentally installed Avast on my system. I left a box checked on another app. update and ended up with the unwanted AV on the system. I ended up prowling the registry and deleting any reference to Avast to rid the system of the app. FWIW I've run Norton 360 (and now with LifeLock) for years. I have never had an issue with Windows updates with Norton running and the performance issues of the past have gone away with updates to Norton. The only performance hit is when a scheduled full system scan runs and even then it only affects loading a program. Once the program loads, it runs pretty much like normal and the Norton scan takes a backseat to the other app. I have the full scan scheduled for one night a week when the system isn't being used. Otherwise the only indication Norton is running a scan or an update is when a results notice pops up.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5,038
    Windows 10/11 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #9

    NavyLCDR said:
    I would recommend that you remove Super AntiSpyware and Malwarebytes too.
    Why?

    I have found they MBAM and to a much lesser degree, SAS, to be useful.
    IMHO, Don't put all your eggs into one basket.

    The "Common Sense" methodology is great for people that have it.

    Security must be done in layers.

      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5,038
    Windows 10/11 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #10

    jamis said:
    Quite some time ago, I accidentally installed Avast on my system. I left a box checked on another app. update and ended up with the unwanted AV on the system. I ended up prowling the registry and deleting any reference to Avast to rid the system of the app. FWIW I've run Norton 360 (and now with LifeLock) for years. I have never had an issue with Windows updates with Norton running and the performance issues of the past have gone away with updates to Norton. The only performance hit is when a scheduled full system scan runs and even then it only affects loading a program. Once the program loads, it runs pretty much like normal and the Norton scan takes a backseat to the other app. I have the full scan scheduled for one night a week when the system isn't being used. Otherwise the only indication Norton is running a scan or an update is when a results notice pops up.
    I would run all scans manually or at off hours, if your system remains on.

      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums