Can you get a virus/malware from powerbank?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,035
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #31

    Try3 said:
    To save everybody else time, please note that the OP is only connecting the powerbank to the ac input connection of his computer.

    That's what the Dell PowerBank PW7015L does - it's a tool for delivering its stored charge at 19.5V, up to 2.3A to the ac input connection of his computer.

    Its USB outputs are anciliary ones for charging phones etc [5V, < 2.1A].
    - Its misleading 18000mAh declared capacity was measured at these outputs despite their being the anciliary ones.
    - Its capacity for its main 19.5V output is about 3300mAh.

    Denis
    Yes Try3, that is correct. I wanted to know if malware could be transferred this way from the powerbank to my laptop through through that connection. I know that if this was a pure powerbank without usb ports, i believe this is 100% impossible right?


    But because this has 2 usb ports, that is when im not sure since even if you don't connect it that way, well it has usb portz.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 56,064
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #32

    Pins 2 and 3 are dead, not connected to anything. Only pins 1 and 4 are active. Pin 1 is +5v and pin 4 is ground. Pins 2 and 3 are there (maybe) but there are no wires connected to them. It is impossible for disconnected pins to carry anything. They are MUTE, DEAD, DUMB pins.

    Can you get a virus/malware from powerbank?-2019-10-01_12h47_34.png

    All common USB connectors
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 1,035
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #33

    bro67 said:
    Post a picture of the box.
    I now see 2 sellers selling this on ebay. This box is exactly like mine. If you look at the 2nd pic, you see on the back how it shows for argentina use only


    This seller only posted front of box but im sure its the same one.

    Dell notebook power bank plus PW7015L 65w | eBay



    This seller posted front and box and you can see the for argentina only in back of it.


    Dell notebook power bank plus PW7015L | eBay



    This is how the original dell box looked when i bought it from dell directly months ago

    DELL PERIPHERALS PW7015L POWER COMPANION 18000 MAH | eBay


    What are your thoughts here? I mean the people that are selling the box i have, im guessing they bought it off amazon recently and trying to resell it on ebay? But with the fees, im not sure this is even possible with the price they are selling it at. Could they be selling it because the box looked weird as well? But one of the 2 sellers do look like resellers.


    Or you think its possible suddenly changed the box to this? But that is impossible right since back says for argentina use only?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,634
    Mac OS Catalina
       #34

    Dell had the box graphics changed.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,035
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #35

    bro67 said:
    Dell had the box graphics changed.

    You mean recently? How do you know? Or you are assuming this?


    If they did, then im fine with that. But why does it says For Argentina Use only then?


    Does it make sense these items were sent to Argentina or Latin America and then these got shipped to amazon.com? So if i buy this from dell.com right now, you telling me the box will look like this? I can't imagine this because well there is no way it shows for argentina use only right?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6,902
    Win 11 Home
       #36

    paulyjustin said:
    You mean recently? How do you know? Or you are assuming this?


    If they did, then im fine with that. But why does it says For Argentina Use only then?


    Does it make sense these items were sent to Argentina or Latin America and then these got shipped to amazon.com? So if i buy this from dell.com right now, you telling me the box will look like this? I can't imagine this because well there is no way it shows for argentina use only right?
    Easy solution is to contact the seller directly.

    How is anyone here going to be able to tell you exactly where it came from, what exactly is in it or
    if it will only work in argentina.

    Call amazon or dell directly.

    Contact eBay sellers thru the message system.

    You are making a big deal out of nothing.

    You have to stop with the multi questions for every little thing after a member posts.
    Their best is never good enough for you, just like all the other threads you have going.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 383
    Windows 10 Home
       #37

    COMPUTIAC said:
    Easy solution is to contact the seller directly.

    How is anyone here going to be able to tell you exactly where it came from, what exactly is in it or
    if it will only work in argentina.

    Call amazon or dell directly.

    Contact eBay sellers thru the message system.

    You are making a big deal out of nothing.

    You have to stop with the multi questions for every little thing after a member posts.
    Their best is never good enough for you, just like all the other threads you have going.
    Well said!!!!!!!
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,035
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #38

    I contacted amazon. They told me it came directly from amazon.com... not 3rd party. I said then why does it show this and they said well one theory was these were sent to argentina or latin america... then amazon bought it from them. Then they sell it on amazon.com to us customers.


    They said its also possible there were no more of those boxes available and dell shipped them with these boxes. But i have hard time thinking they would send this to US customers. That makes no sense.


    I just contacted dell US site directly and they confirmed to me... the boxes that was sent with this power companion months ago... is the same as it is now. No graphics or anything was changed etc... They said if you buy it now from dell, it will be same box that i got months ago when i bought it from dell.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 6,902
    Win 11 Home
       #39

    paulyjustin said:
    I contacted amazon. They told me it came directly from amazon.com... not 3rd party. I said then why does it show this and they said well one theory was these were sent to argentina or latin america... then amazon bought it from them. Then they sell it on amazon.com to us customers.


    They said its also possible there were no more of those boxes available and dell shipped them with these boxes. But i have hard time thinking they would send this to US customers. That makes no sense.


    I just contacted dell US site directly and they confirmed to me... the boxes that was sent with this power companion months ago... is the same as it is now. No graphics or anything was changed etc... They said if you buy it now from dell, it will be same box that i got months ago when i bought it from dell.
    Then its settled, buy it from dell.

    No more questions are needed.

    Please mark this thread as Solved !
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 13,301
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 21H2 19044.1526
       #40

    It is common practice, and it has to do avoiding taxes and tariffs and Maximizing profits. Routing materials
    through other countries has been going on for years. If you have a problem with that you should
    write your congressman or what ever politician represents you.
    If you don't believe that its the same goods which come in your countries box,
    Then return it to Amazon along with your reasoning.
    I have had good service from Amazon when I returned an Item, they sent me a replacement
    over night delivery . No hassle at all.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums