Do we really need anti-virus/anti-malware software? e.g. BitDefender?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 234
    Window 10
       #1

    Do we really need anti-virus/anti-malware software? e.g. BitDefender?


    Hello

    Do we really need anti-virus/anti-malware software?

    I have been using BitDefender Total Security (v2019), but GBP 70.00 seems expensive. Plus I am wondering how much it slows my PC down...

    J
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 19,872
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 234
    Window 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I have previously had bad experiences with free software.

    Could you summarise for me. I am quite dylsexic and only read with difficulty.

    Thank you so much

    J
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 2,470
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       #4

    ship69 said: View Post
    I have previously had bad experiences with free software.
    J,

    Windows defender is already included in Windows 10. It is not free but you have paid for it already [either directly as an OS retail purchase or indirectly within the cost of your computer].

    Many of us regard Windows defender as being a sufficent anti-malware defence tool. And independent testers agree - www.avtest.org

    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 234
    Window 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Try3 said: View Post
    J,

    Windows defender is already included in Windows 10. It is not free but you have paid for it already [either directly as an OS retail purchase or indirectly within the cost of your computer].

    Many of us regard Windows defender as being a sufficent anti-malware defence tool. And independent testers agree - www.avtest.org

    Denis
    But is it worth having a security SUITE?

    Also I saw somewhere people recommending Windows Defender to be used with (I think) MalwareBytes.

    What am I missing - will Windows Defender defend against "phishing" and "ransomware"? (TBH, I only have a vague idea of what they are!)

    Background
    I am not an advanced user. I just want something simple that I can install and more or less forget about - bar my running the occasional update...

    J
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 2,470
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       #6

    Yes, it is worth having a security application. Otherwise, you'd be open to infection if, for example, you visit a normally trustworthy website and it [or its advertisements] have been booby-trapped by hackers.

    You can add an additional security application if you wish but you would need to study the links you were given before if you wanted to understand what to add & how to manage them.

    Windows defender does not protect against phishing. Your own actions are what protects you against phishing.

    Windows defender can protect you against ransomware.

    Windows defender is already in Windows 10 so you do not even need to "install and more or less forget about" it - you can simply "more or less forget about" it. And Windows update ensures that you do not even have to worry about having to take action to update it. By the way, "occasional update" is not appropriate when referring to security applications - all security applications are updated daily or even multiple times a day.

    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec



  7. Posts : 234
    Window 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Try3 said: View Post
    Yes, it is worth having a security application. Otherwise, you'd be open to infection if, for example, you visit a normally trustworthy website and it [or its advertisements] have been booby-trapped by hackers.
    You can add an additional security application if you wish but you would need to study the links you were given before if you wanted to understand what to add & how to manage them.
    Windows defender does not protect against phishing. Your own actions are what protects you against phishing.

    Windows defender can protect you against ransomware.
    Windows defender is already in Windows 10 so you do not even need to "install and more or less forget about" it - you can simply "more or less forget about" it. And Windows update ensures that you do not even have to worry about having to take action to update it. By the way, "occasional update" is not appropriate when referring to security applications - all security applications are updated daily or even multiple times a day.
    Denis
    So if I'm going to get a suite, then I am tempted by "F-Secure SAFE" (or the TOTAL version) which it seems was well reviewed on av-test.org

    Test F-Secure SAFE 17 for Windows 10 (192309) | AV-TEST

    Any strong views?

    J
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 3,832
    Home 1903 x64 10.0.18362.267
       #8

    ship69 said: View Post
    But is it worth having a security SUITE?
    No. The first line of defense is the browser, you can use extensions like:

    Emsisoft Browser Security - Chrome Web Store

    Bitdefender TrafficLight - Free Add-on for Secure Web Browsing


    On top of it a secure DNS, blocking known malware domains, like Cleanbrowsing Security or Neustar Threat.

    https://cleanbrowsing.org/ip-address#security

    UltraRecursive DNS on the Global Anycast Network | Neustar
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. ignatzatsonic's Avatar
    Posts : 810
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #9

    ship69 said: View Post
    So if I'm going to get a suite...............................Any strong views?

    J
    Yes.

    I emphatically would NOT advise you to make a choice based on whether or not the application was a so-called "suite".

    I would instead be interested in how effective it was and whether I halfway understood it and could use it as intended.

    Windows Defender is likely enough unless you have an unusual case (such as regular deliberate visits to high risk web sites or other indifference to good browsing habits) or tend to be the worrying kind. If so, add on something like Malwarebytes. I do use the latter, but it rarely if ever detects anything. I continue to use it nonetheless because I am, to some extent, the worrying kind.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 234
    Window 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    Yes.

    I emphatically would NOT advise you to make a choice based on whether or not the application was a so-called "suite".

    I would instead be interested in how effective it was and whether I halfway understood it and could use it as intended.

    Windows Defender is likely enough unless you have an unusual case (such as regular deliberate visits to high risk web sites or other indifference to good browsing habits) or tend to be the worrying kind. If so, add on something like Malwarebytes. I do use the latter, but it rarely if ever detects anything. I continue to use it nonetheless because I am, to some extent, the worrying kind.

    A few people seem to be saying the Windows Defender is all you need.

    Can it really be that the entire Anti-virus/Anti-malware industry (on Windows 10) is now redundant?
    i.e. All those applications are in effect one giant scam?!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
What is the best anti-malware software? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
What is the best anti-malware software?
Every...i mean every anti malware blocked by unknown malware/virus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
i have looked up this issue and apparently this must be a new one since there is no solution what so ever, even the hidden admin account is defenseless, here is what's going on 1. the PC got infected on windows defenders watch, the infection...
Anti-virus and Anti-malware?? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
1. Do I need a particular anti-malware software , in addition to Anti-virus? 2. Is the paid version of Avast good and sufficient enough to reduce risks? 3. Is "malware" a collective term that includes ransomware, adware, spyware ...... or are...
Most anti-virus/anti-malware method of browsing in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
It seems that so many anti-virus products are decent and do a fair job of protecting your computer, whether or not you pay for them. And all reviews I've read over the years usually conclude that free is best, because the "extra stuff" you get...
Solved Malwarebytes anti-malware home premuim found a virus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hey guys my Malwarebytes anti-malware home premuim found a virus on 12/28/2015 the virus is called Registry Keys: 2Trojan.Agent, HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\IMAGE FILE EXECUTION OPTIONS\MRT.exe, Quarantined, , Trojan.Agent,...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:11.
Find Us