"This setting is managed by your administration" Windows Defender

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #1

    "This setting is managed by your administration" Windows Defender


    Hi, so I have this problem that ALT + Enter doesn't work in any games for me so I thought I'll look around Windows settings, maybe something is messed up and I get this "Some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation" and I remembered about Windows Defender, because I had something like that with it too. I fixed it before but that doesn't seem to work this time, I get "This setting is managed by your administrator" in WIndows Defender settings. This is my OWN computer.

    Windows 10 Home x64, so I can't change anything is Group Policy.
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,018
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2

    This is my OWN computer.
    Some settings are hidden or managed by your organisation
    Hi, many people are confused by this and the question is often asked. Just search the forum and you will see that.

    If, for any reason, a setting change is made that corresponds to one that could be made in the registry by the group policy editor available in Pro upwards, you will get this message.

    For example: you may have edited the registry, merged a registry file, used a 3rd party tweaker.....

    All the group policy editor does is change certain registry values.

    This message is also sometimes seen after a clean install of certain Windows editions, oddly.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Hi, many people are confused by this and the question is often asked. Just search the forum and you will see that.


    If, for any reason, a setting change is made that corresponds to one that could be made in the registry by the group policy editor available in Pro upwards, you will get this message.

    For example: you may have edited the registry, merged a registry file, used a 3rd party tweaker.....

    All the group policy editor does is change certain registry values.

    This message is also sometimes seen after a clean install of certain Windows editions, oddly.
    I already tried looking for it but most of the solutions are with Group Policy and I don't have that on Windows 10 Home. Well, and I use CCleaner to clean my registry if it matters.
      My Computer

  4. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,018
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #4

    Have you found any references related to the particular screen where you see it?

    Note: the message is NOT an error message. It is merely indicative of a registry change from default corresponding to one that could be applied by group policy.

    Please post a screenshot of that.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post. Thanks.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    dalchina said:
    Have you found any references related to the particular screen where you see it?

    Note: the message is NOT an error message. It is merely indicative of a registry change from default corresponding to one that could be applied by group policy.

    Please post a screenshot of that.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post. Thanks.
    Advanced Keyboard Settings

    "This setting is managed by your administration" Windows Defender-screenshot_1.png

    Windows Defender (tried the method with deleting Windows Defender from registry, didn't help)

    "This setting is managed by your administration" Windows Defender-screenshot_2.png

    I had Malware Bytes installed if it matters, but I uninstalled it and it still didn't go away.
      My Computer

  6. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,018
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #6

    Thank you. Given that, you can do some specific searches.

    For example, I searched for
    Windows Defender real-time protection greyed out

    See:
    https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/w...tection-virus/

    tried the method with deleting Windows Defender from registry
    I have no idea what that means. You can't 'delete' an installed program as such, especially something like Defender.

    I can't find an obvious reference for the keyboard one, so suggest you search. If there is a function that doesn't work, that would give you something specific to search for, and a reason to do so. There is nothing obvious on that screen as shown that is disabled, for example.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #7

    dalchina said:
    Thank you. Given that, you can do some specific searches.

    For example, I searched for
    Windows Defender real-time protection greyed out

    See:
    https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/w...tection-virus/


    I have no idea what that means. You can't 'delete' an installed program as such, especially something like Defender.

    I can't find an obvious reference for the keyboard one, so suggest you search. If there is a function that doesn't work, that would give you something specific to search for, and a reason to do so. There is nothing obvious on that screen as shown that is disabled, for example.
    Even in that link you gave me, he deletes Windows Defender key in Registry that's what I meant. Surprisingly, it worked this time, maybe because of that .reg file or malware delete with HitmanPro. Thanks.

    The reason why I looked into keyboard settings in the first place is because ALT + Enter doesn't do anything for me in any games, it should put them into windowed mode or fullscreen. And I tried searching but as I said, most methods include Group Policy or deleting a key in registry for a specific thing like NoLockScreen but I can't find anything about advanced keyboard settings. There was only one method to disable Secure Boot in BIOS but it's already disabled.
      My Computer

  8. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,018
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #8

    Could it be that key combo has been reassigned by something else?

    And have you otherwise verified the ALT key is working?

    And it may be that ALT + Enter no longer works in Win 10 for whatever obscure reason - it's not a Windows key combination, but specific to programs. Why am I suggesting this? Because on a superficial search, others are having problems with it too...

    Why doesnt Alt+Enter fullscreen work in Windows 10? - Super User
    - suggests perhaps using F11

    See:
    "This setting is managed by your administration" Windows Defender-1.jpg
    from
    Table of keyboard shortcuts - Wikipedia
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    dalchina said:
    Could it be that key combo has been reassigned by something else?

    And have you otherwise verified the ALT key is working?

    And it may be that ALT + Enter no longer works in Win 10 for whatever obscure reason - it's not a Windows key combination, but specific to programs. Why am I suggesting this? Because on a superficial search, others are having problems with it too...

    Why doesnt Alt+Enter fullscreen work in Windows 10? - Super User
    - suggests perhaps using F11

    See:
    "This setting is managed by your administration" Windows Defender-1.jpg
    from
    Table of keyboard shortcuts - Wikipedia
    I'm sure that the ALT key is working, all of the ALT codes like ALT + 0321 are working fine. And those combos that you mentioned don't work either. I'm not sure if that combo was reassigned, I didn't do anything myself because I don't even know how to do that.
      My Computer

  10. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,018
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #10

    On mine- (random example Groove) F11 does nothing, Win + SHIFT + ENTER -> borderless/no title bar maximised/ restored down

    F11- Waterfox (Firefox) and Edge - maximised/restored without borders

    Can you confirm yours does not do that?
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums