Defender update frequency normal?

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
  1.    15 Dec 2018 #211

    Farvatten said: View Post
    @Ztruker not sure if this applies to your verification situation, but on my machines, every time there's a new Defender version installed into a new platform folder like it created 3 days ago:

    C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows Defender/Platform/4.18.1812.3-0/


    Windows will recreate and restart the 4 Defender tasks in the scheduler to include this latest folder path to the executables.

    For me, it means I always have to go in and disable the Windows scan task as I have my own custom scan that is more reliable and on time and needs to be updated with this newest path.
    I also created a WD Scan task some time ago. It really isn't necessary to disable the Windows WD Scan task although there's no problem with doing so. Occasionally it will run successfully, usually after a restart.
    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Farvatten's Avatar
    Posts : 65
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1809 17763.253
       16 Dec 2018 #212

    Mcd73165 said: View Post
    I also created a WD Scan task some time ago. It really isn't necessary to disable the Windows WD Scan task although there's no problem with doing so. Occasionally it will run successfully, usually after a restart.
    Mark
    Thanks, I too have noticed it will run and not run, yet getting the (0x2) more often than not.

    Windows Defender Scheduled Scan does not work; message 0x2 is returned - Windows 10 Forums

    The problem I have with Defender's scheduled scan task when it does run is it's really unpredictable, often starting then stopping at any mouse movement while I'm in the middle of my work as I have never seen Windows honor my maintenance time window under Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Change Maintenance Settings > Run Maintenance Tasks daily at : [ Time ]

    Nor by adding a trigger in Window's task properties for that matter which again would get reset every month anyway. Just easier to run my own and turn theirs off.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    18 Dec 2018 #213

    Farvatten said: View Post
    Thanks, I too have noticed it will run and not run, yet getting the (0x2) more often than not.

    Windows Defender Scheduled Scan does not work; message 0x2 is returned - Windows 10 Forums

    The problem I have with Defender's scheduled scan task when it does run is it's really unpredictable, often starting then stopping at any mouse movement while I'm in the middle of my work as I have never seen Windows honor my maintenance time window under Control Panel > Security and Maintenance > Change Maintenance Settings > Run Maintenance Tasks daily at : [ Time ]

    Nor by adding a trigger in Window's task properties for that matter which again would get reset every month anyway. Just easier to run my own and turn theirs off.
    Farvatten: Sounds good! Whatever works is all good. Best to you.
    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 6,381
    Windows / Linux : Centos, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
       18 Dec 2018 #214

    Hi there

    If you guys are really serious about protecting your machines you should understand the whole concept of "Event Driven Processes".

    Since a new threat could appear at ANY time -- not predictable in say a typical "Tuesday update" cycle or similar then presumably you want to get your system protected as soon as possible so I'm quite happy for a WD update / definition update to be performed any time it wants to.

    I'm sure some of you on these forums have often heard of highly paid economists or politicians complaining that a country's earnings fall is due to "poor productivity" -- however this is absolute 100% garbage in an essentially modern service driven and event driven process economy-- most post 1st world economies aren't predictable things like production in factories etc -- my favourite question to these people is "How do you measure the productivity of say an Opera Singer" .

    In any case with things like Just In Time ordering and delivery what's the point of producing large inventories of stock, stored in expensive real estate when you've got no idea when or if the demand for it materializes.

    Just let WD do its job whenever it needs to. Consider it as an event driven process or a just in time component.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    4 Weeks Ago #215

    It's a natural manifestation of your client detection interval (22 hours, by default), and the frequency of Defender updates. If the client only checks once a day, then only the latest update will be "Needed", and the others were synchronized in vain.

    If it is your intent to maintain signature files for Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, or Forefront (now part of System Center 2012) via WSUS, I suggest the following:

    Configure an automatic approval rule for the Definition Update classification
    Enable the policy option "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation"
    Configure your clients with a 6-hour detection frequency so that they can regularly get the newest signature file from WSUS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    4 Weeks Ago #216

    arso96 said: View Post
    It's a natural manifestation of your client detection interval (22 hours, by default), and the frequency of Defender updates. If the client only checks once a day, then only the latest update will be "Needed", and the others were synchronized in vain.

    If it is your intent to maintain signature files for Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, or Forefront (now part of System Center 2012) via WSUS, I suggest the following:

    Configure an automatic approval rule for the Definition Update classification
    Enable the policy option "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation"
    Configure your clients with a 6-hour detection frequency so that they can regularly get the newest signature file from WSUS.
    DigitalOceanSiteGroundiPage
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Related Threads
Avast Showing 2 UI's in Task Manager Normal? or Not Normal? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hi All Asked in Avast forum, they said it's normal, but not positive it really is lol, might just swap out to Defender on this System soon, and on newer Gaming Laptop as well
Solved receiving multiple update patches...is this normal? in Windows Updates and Activation
been receiving a lot of patches recently. some as small as 245kb all the way to 300mb.. i was maybe suspecting it has something to do with using a new driver updater called "driver easy" maybe not.. is this normal? and another question is, where in...
Win 10 .Iso update frequency + other question. in Windows Updates and Activation
Hello, I want to ask, under what time interval does MS actually refreshes its .ISO ? (Official site). I understand, the official .iso would have been uploaded after the anniversary update and now I wonder when would be the next .iso update. ...
Windows Defender Scans daily, Can I reduce the frequency (Kenneth?) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hi daily Windows Defender asks to scan my computer and nags the hell out of me about it. How can I reduce this to say once a week instead?
Update 9860 pushed like a normal update in Installation and Upgrade
Booted Win 10 TP under Hyper-V just now and was presented with this: 7365 I really dislike not having any kind of progress indicator.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:09.
Find Us