Windows 10: Windows Defender Scheduled Scan returns result 0x2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    3 Days Ago #1

    Windows Defender Scheduled Scan returns result 0x2


    Hi. There are 4 Windows Defender Scheduled Tasks. All but the periodic scan task result in successful completions (0x0). The Scheduled Periodic scan task results return 0x2. This holds true even if I run the task on demand. I've found that by disabling Real Time Protection then rebooting the machine causes the task to run successfully 1 or 2 times after which the problem occurs again. This holds true on 2 computers (1 laptop and 1 desktop). Some time ago I created my own Windows Defender scheduled scan to run once a week which runs flawlessly. The built in task starts a program in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.16.17656.18052-0\MpCmdRun.exe Scan - ScheduleJob - ScanTrigger 55. The task I created starts a program in "C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan - Scan Type 1. When my task runs a Command Prompt window shows while scanning while the built in scan runs in the background. Has anyone else noticed a problem with the built in Periodic scan task? Again as mentioned earlier, the other 3 built in Defender Scheduled tasks run without any problem.
    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    3 Days Ago #2

    Mcd73165 said: View Post
    Hi. There are 4 Windows Defender Scheduled Tasks. All but the periodic scan task result in successful completions (0x0). The Scheduled Periodic scan task results return 0x2. This holds true even if I run the task on demand. I've found that by disabling Real Time Protection then rebooting the machine causes the task to run successfully 1 or 2 times after which the problem occurs again. This holds true on 2 computers (1 laptop and 1 desktop). Some time ago I created my own Windows Defender scheduled scan to run once a week which runs flawlessly. The built in task starts a program in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.16.17656.18052-0\MpCmdRun.exe Scan - ScheduleJob - ScanTrigger 55. The task I created starts a program in "C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan - Scan Type 1. When my task runs a Command Prompt window shows while scanning while the built in scan runs in the background. Has anyone else noticed a problem with the built in Periodic scan task? Again as mentioned earlier, the other 3 built in Defender Scheduled tasks run without any problem.
    Thanks.
    Hi Mcd73165. This is an old issue that dates way back to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Some folks got the problem immediately. Others get it at a later time. In my case, it started in April after a cumulative update. Microsoft forums are loaded with this issue and a slew of suggestions. Some work -- most don't. The common fix is to do what you did -- create your own scheduled scan. In my case, the problem was solved by another cumulative update, which, from everything I've read, usually does not fix the issue.

    Take a look at this thread I started in April. Windows Defender Errors Solved - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    3 Days Ago #3

    Crizal said: View Post
    Hi Mcd73165. This is an old issue that dates way back to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Some folks got the problem immediately. Others get it at a later time. In my case, it started in April after a cumulative update. Microsoft forums are loaded with this issue and a slew of suggestions. Some work -- most don't. The common fix is to do what you did -- create your own scheduled scan. In my case, the problem was solved by another cumulative update, which, from everything I've read, usually does not fix the issue.

    Take a look at this thread I started in April. Windows Defender Errors Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    Hi, Crizal. Thanks for your input. I don't have the update mentioned in the link you gave me. I didn't realize that many people have this issue. I can't remember if this problem occured before the 1803 update. In any case since my custom Defender scan works perfectly (scheduled to scan once a week) I'm not going to pull may hair out over it. Thanks again!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    3 Days Ago #4

    Mcd73165 said: View Post
    Hi, Crizal. Thanks for your input. I don't have the update mentioned in the link you gave me. I didn't realize that many people have this issue. I can't remember if this problem occured before the 1803 update. In any case since my custom Defender scan works perfectly (scheduled to scan once a week) I'm not going to pull may hair out over it. Thanks again!
    @Mcd73165 -- Glad your custom scan is doing the job. Microsoft is aware of the problem but doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix it. The most perplexing issue is that it doesn't affect everyone at the same time and there doesn't seem to be any conclusive reason why it starts showing up at different times after different updates. Looks like you're good to go.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    2 Days Ago #5

    Crizal said: View Post
    @Mcd73165 -- Glad your custom scan is doing the job. Microsoft is aware of the problem but doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix it. The most perplexing issue is that it doesn't affect everyone at the same time and there doesn't seem to be any conclusive reason why it starts showing up at different times after different updates. Looks like you're good to go.
    Crizal, seems that this problem has existed back to 2016. Can't understand why Microsoft hasn't or won't fix this problem if possible. Thanks again for your feedback.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    2 Days Ago #6

    Crizal said: View Post
    Hi Mcd73165. This is an old issue that dates way back to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Some folks got the problem immediately. Others get it at a later time. In my case, it started in April after a cumulative update. Microsoft forums are loaded with this issue and a slew of suggestions. Some work -- most don't. The common fix is to do what you did -- create your own scheduled scan. In my case, the problem was solved by another cumulative update, which, from everything I've read, usually does not fix the issue.

    Take a look at this thread I started in April. Windows Defender Errors Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    I was effected by this since the AU. Problem is my created scheduled scans don't work. I have four of them created exactly the same on different computers and only one works. I have pulled my hair out trying to figure it out. I've deleted the task and recreated it, still doesn't run. So ridiculous.

    edit: Just noticed that any of my computers that have updated to 1803 haven't run three of the four tasks (one hasn't run any) related to Defender and its been weeks. Shows the 1999 default date. MS just sucks.

    Also noticed that the Old GUI shortcut for Defender created from the tutorial here was broke by 1803. It now opens up Windows Defender Security Center. So no way to even access the old Defender GUI now. Double suck.
    Last edited by bru; 2 Days Ago at 12:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    2 Days Ago #7

    @Mcd73165, @bru -- I've literally spent hours scouring every Microsoft forum I could find and it does make you wonder why MS hasn't fixed something that dates back to the Anniversary Update. From what I've read, MS considers the automatic periodic scan to be a low priority. The implication is that MS feels the real-time protection is just fine since the auto scan would only show something already on your system. Reading the MS forums is fascinating and their responses are, well, bizarre to say the least.

    As for creating your own scheduled scan, they don't work all the time either. In those cases, MS suggests going into task scheduler and changing the scan credentials from system to the user. My neighbor tried that and it only worked once. The other alternative -- run a manual scan and see if that works. The other suggestions are to restart your computer and just let it sit to see if the scan starts, or, run automatic maintenance manually and see if that does the trick.

    My main criticism of this entire situation is very simple -- MS touts Defender, which is built into the system, as a viable security (antivirus) product and they want people to use it. If it doesn't work properly, it should be fixed. Period. How many people out there don't even know how to check the status of Defender or what to do if there is a problem?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 192
    Win 10 pro 64 bit/v.1803/17134.112
       2 Days Ago #8

    I think I'm glad I've got company. Sorry for your troubles. I just checked and have that same error for scan task. I run so many scans out of paranoia that I usually don't notice if these sort of things ever run automatically. I'll see if I can find the tutorial for creating a task and fix it. Be back if I fix it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    2 Days Ago #9

    As for creating your own scheduled scan, they don't work all the time either. In those cases, MS suggests going into task scheduler and changing the scan credentials from system to the user.
    I changed from system to user, but I had to add my user to Windows Credential Manager > Windows Credentials > Generic Credentials ... to get my custom scan to run and it does run consistently on both my PC's.

    Internet or Network Adress: PcName\UserName
    User Name: PcName\UserName
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    2 Days Ago #10

    Eagle51 said: View Post
    I changed from system to user, but I had to add my user to Windows Credential Manager > Windows Credentials > Generic Credentials ... to get my custom scan to run and it does run consistently on both my PC's.
    Internet or Network Adress: PcName\UserName
    User Name: PcName\UserName
    I did that early on, didn't help three of my computers. All four have the exact same custom task created to run a daily scan, yet only one runs.

    This is the error:

    "The operator or administrator has refused the request. (0x800710E0)"

    On the one that works it shows "Incorrect function. (0x80070001)". smh
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    windows defender scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    since 1803 update defender only lets me do quick scan, if I click on advanced defender closes
    Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Quite a while ago I created a Scheduled Task to run a daily manual Defender Quick Scan. It worked fine until the recent Creator's Update/Defender Update (not sure which messed it). I know some things changed with Defender and its path but I...
    Windows Defender Default Scheduled Task - Looking For Information in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I'm looking for some information. If your on 1703, using Windows Defender and it's Default Scheduled Scan. The Last Run Results always shows 0x2 (Failed) ... no matter how the action is run (automatic or manual) Could you check your Windows...
    Windows Defender Showing Items Skipped During Scan after each scan in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hi All Trying Windows Defender to see if I can get used to it and how it affects performance and such, but after each scan popups and says items skipped during scan, my exclusions for Secondlife game, which is required to have it run properly. ...
    Solved Build 10074 Windows Defender scheduled task scans ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I installed Build 10074 as a clean install in a VM. I see Windows Defender running a quick scan MANY times per day. I would prefer it run a quick scan once a week. I disabled the built in Windows Defender Scheduled Scan scheduled task. Windows...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34.
    Find Us