Windows 10: Is Windows defender and Malwarebytes pro enough? (Win10) Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)
       06 Jan 2016 #11

    Hi:

    joshleeman said: View Post
    Defender and mwb pro on my machine as well, never had any issue and left all settings to default. I read somewhere something about setting an exclusion in each for the other but I never did that. The only odd thing that happens to me is when I open windows defender through the windows 10 new window and then view defender until you see what looks exactly like what MSE window used to look like, I get a white brick wall icon in system try until I restart my pc. Maybe its a coincidence but I seems like my fans run real hard whenever that happens as well until restart.
    For most users and most computers with most of the popular AVs, it's not necessary to set mutual exclusions between Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Premium and the AV.

    But each computer is unique.

    If you wish to set those exclusions, the steps below outline the process for MBAM exclusions in the AV and the screen cap below shows an example of excluding the AV's folder in MBAM.

    Cheers,
    MM
    ------------------

    Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:


    For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe


    For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

    Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it, as well.

    Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
    Code:
    data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 220-Exclusion-2016-01-06_7-05-34.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    08 Jan 2016 #12

    Defender and mwb pro on my pc's for years, never a problem
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 43
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Build 1607
       09 Jan 2016 #13

    I personally like Defender and MWB Pro, I set everyone up from Friends, Family and Clients on this as I have not in many years have had anyone come back to me for a Virus problem even though they are prone to it based on the browsing history they put their computer through.

    As I always tell people the main reason I like this setup is both are a active level protection but Defender provides your signature based definition and MWB Pro uses a heuristic scans. It is a very nice combo as many other individual AV's usually only provide one or the other and even in most cases where they do provide both it is still a majority one or the other.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    14 May 2016 #14

    I second MBAM Pro and Windows Defender. Malwarebytes has this new thing out called Anti-Exploit, but I don't know why anti-exploit is a thing all of a sudden.. kinda feels like a business tactic.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)
       14 May 2016 #15

    Hi, @Double:

    Double said: View Post
    I second MBAM Pro and Windows Defender. Malwarebytes has this new thing out called Anti-Exploit, but I don't know why anti-exploit is a thing all of a sudden.. kinda feels like a business tactic.
    MBAM is an anti-malware product -- like your AV, it protects against the "what" of malware.
    MBAE is an anti-exploit product -- it works differently, against the "how" of malware. The Free version protects browsers and plug-ins. The Premium version can be configured with custom shields to protect any internet facing application. More information here. And the FAQs are here.
    MBARW-BETA is a new, BETA product specifically targeting ransomware; the technology will be eventually rolled into MBAM.
    Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) is currently a standalone anti-junkware tool.
    MBAR-BETA is the standalone anti-rootkit product -- much of its technology is already incorporated into MBAM.

    I do not work for the company and am not a software developer. The different tools have been developed to stay abreast of the changing malware landscape. However, it's my understanding that there are valid technical and other reasons for keeping some of these tools as separate, standalone products, rather than trying to roll all of them into a "suite".
    But I'm sure the that developers and product team members would be happy to elaborate on that better than I can, to the extent possible in a public forum, over at the Malwarebytes forums.

    Cheers,

    MM (unaffiliated in any way with Malwarebytes and just a home user)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 May 2016 #16

    Hellishdream said: View Post
    In my experience with Norton and Malwarebytes they can play well together, but running 2 AV programs isn't recommended as they can create conflicts and other annoying issues. I am also a CC sub and I do not use Norton I use Malwarebytes as its never let me down . Even when removing some pesky rootkits . Again this is merely my personal opinion , I have been working in tech support for 6+ years , and always recommend Malwarebytes especially since its free (granted free version doesn't have all the features of the Pro version).
    I'm not TonyB but I'm in his situation. I like the overall coverage I get from Comcast/Norton. Can I use Malware Pro but just turn off the AV?

    x509
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 May 2016 #17

    MoxieMomma said: View Post
    Hi:



    For most users and most computers with most of the popular AVs, it's not necessary to set mutual exclusions between Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Premium and the AV.

    But each computer is unique.

    If you wish to set those exclusions, the steps below outline the process for MBAM exclusions in the AV and the screen cap below shows an example of excluding the AV's folder in MBAM.

    Cheers,
    MM
    ------------------

    Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:


    For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe


    For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

    Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it, as well.

    Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
    Code:
    data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
    Thanks. Great info here. I'm new to this forum and I'm really loving it. High signal to noise ratio.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 8,180
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       15 May 2016 #18

    x509 said: View Post
    I'm not TonyB but I'm in his situation. I like the overall coverage I get from Comcast/Norton. Can I use Malware Pro but just turn off the AV?

    x509
    Malwarebytes is an excellent program but it is not an AV, it is an anti Malware program. I use it myself, but I also use an AV. While Malwarebytes is a good program, you still need an anti virus program with it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)
       15 May 2016 #19

    essenbe said: View Post
    Malwarebytes is an excellent program but it is not an AV, it is an anti Malware program. I use it myself, but I also use an AV. While Malwarebytes is a good program, you still need an anti virus program with it.
    +1
    It's very important to remember that MBAM is NOT an AV. Even with MBAM Premium, one needs a robust AV.

    Cheers,
    MM
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    19 May 2016 #20

    I'm using MBAM and Win Defender.

    What AV do people recommend? McAfee was installed on the machine when it was delivered but I would never give them any money (I detest their fear mongering marketing and I've heard it's not much good).

    How about EmsiSoft? Is that a comprehensive AV?

    Also, after uninstalling McAfee, I note that there are two folders left (but now I can only see one "McAfee" in Program Files (x86). Can I just delete this folder? The folder within that is Temp, and within that there are a whole bunch qxz folders.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Latest Version Malwarebytes Anti Exploit in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
89528 Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Stand Alone Beta Latest beta version 1.09.1.1410 / 12 May 2017 Download page*** Changelog: Fix for a False positive with WMI protection Fix for an ASLR block with MS Office due to a conflict with...
Latest Version of Malwarebytes in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Latest Version of Malwarebytes Released Version 3.1.2.1733 Release Date: May 10th 2017 Malwarebytes download link Malwarebytes Trial Download Page Release Notes: Malwarebytes 3.1 (Latest version)
I noticed problems with my build 10074 install (upgraded from 8.1 - not a clean install) and found that it was getting progressively worse (mostly internet problems). I also noted that MBAE had started posting a notice that it was protecting...
Solved Windows defender off ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Uninstalled Panda and now windows defender is stuck off, Not clearly listed in windows features any one know which feature defender is listed as in turn windows features on or off :/ Thanks in advance, Cheers. Defender is still listed in...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54.
Find Us