Windows 10: Access Blocked on 1083 build

  1.    06 May 2018 #1

    Access Blocked on 1083 build


    Having updated to 1083,I have been having issues with Windows Defender Security in as much I have had to disable it just to load an Epson scanner and printer the printer installed okay but when trying to install scanner I ran into a brick wall and found that by disabling WD It would install,but then found I was getting "Access Blocked not enough permissions"message when trying to scan,searched high and low for answers tried adding it to exclusions but no joy,after pulling out what is left of my hair I disabled Ransomeware protection and that cured it and was able scan,so my question is why as an administrator can I not install a legitimate process,I understand the reason for Ransom ware but not from a user's point of access surely it must come into use when attacked from outside,I will gladly turn it back on if some one can show me what to do to stop my access being denied also I have had similar problems with a few more programmes photos and such like,in fact anything I wish to add
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    06 May 2018 #2

    I think you mean 1803! Have you downloaded the latest driver from Epson's website?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    06 May 2018 #3

    swarfega said: View Post
    I think you mean 1803! Have you downloaded the latest driver from Epson's website?
    Sorry typo on my part yes I meant 1803,the first thing I did was to visit Epson site and download the latest driver,but the Warning message of access blocked came from Defender security
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 May 2018 #4

    grouser said: View Post
    Sorry typo on my part yes I meant 1803,the first thing I did was to visit Epson site and download the latest driver,but the Warning message of access blocked came from Defender security
    Okay I have reviewed what I did when I was getting the Access Blocked message I found the section pertaining to security in windows defender and found the Ransomware section with a sub heading of "Controlled Folder Access"and it was this I turned off which allowed me to scan and save document which was denied if I left it on.and it is this I need help in
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 May 2018 #5

    How do you scan? Do you press a button on the scanner and it sends it direct to your documents folder or do you run a program on windows and choose to scan from there?

    Either way you need to add whatever program is doing the writing to the Allow an app through controlled folder access list.

    If you run a program on your PC it should be easy to find the name of the program - if the writing is initiated by the device over the network perhaps less so. Probably it will be in "C:\Program Files\Epson" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epson"

    Unfortunately mine is HP so I can't tell what yours would be but I had to add "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series\bin\HPScan.exe" like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	187603

    You should be able to find it by looking in Task Manager - if you can see something appear (hopefully with the word "scan" in it) when you try to save your scan you can right click > properties to find out where it is and then add it as above.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	187604
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 May 2018 #6

    We use the Windows Scan app by Microsoft that you can download from the Store.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,852
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       06 May 2018 #7

    grouser said: View Post
    ...the first thing I did was to visit Epson site and download the latest driver, but the Warning message of access blocked came from Defender security
    Downloaded files are usually marked as 'Blocked' for your protection. If you trust the source you need to unblock them before use.

    Tutorial: Unblock File in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    06 May 2018 #8

    lx07 said: View Post
    How do you scan? Do you press a button on the scanner and it sends it direct to your documents folder or do you run a program on windows and choose to scan from there?

    Either way you need to add whatever program is doing the writing to the Allow an app through controlled folder access list.

    If you run a program on your PC it should be easy to find the name of the program - if the writing is initiated by the device over the network perhaps less so. Probably it will be in "C:\Program Files\Epson" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epson"

    Unfortunately mine is HP so I can't tell what yours would be but I had to add "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Deskjet 3050A J611 series\bin\HPScan.exe" like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	187603

    You should be able to find it by looking in Task Manager - if you can see something appear (hopefully with the word "scan" in it) when you try to save your scan you can right click > properties to find out where it is and then add it as above.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	187604
    tried that it didn't work also tried to save scanned file to a folder that is not protected that also failed to work,tried the app from Microsoft did not give a option as to where it was saved,I will carry on with it switched off,and try to find away round this
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Update May 9th 2017: This was replaced by: Cumulative Update KB4019472 Windows 10 v1607 Build 14393.1198 - - Windows 10 Forums Windows 10 PC Version 1607 Build 14393.1066 Windows 10 Mobile build Build 14393.1083
Electric utility had a 115KV transmission line fail early today, with over 100K customers without power. My APC UPS put my computer into hibernation before shutting down. When I turned on the computer, it quickly returned me to the status ante quo,...
Since I updated to 10041 I can not get to my 8.1 notebook shares. No problem with access to the notebook from my Vista system and 10041 can access Vista and Mybooklive shares as before. When trying to access the notebook I get a Windows Security...
I cannot add anything to Quick Access on Build 101240. How can I fix this. 24915
Hi there On previous builds of Windows I was getting strange mappings on the "C" drive from SAMBA - it was only showing Boot and missing the rest of the directory. Other drives were fine ???!! Clean install on build 10074 seems to have fixed the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:06.
Find Us