At least 4 retries with this update to get to .321 on a Home 64bit Acer Laptop. Each could not complete and went into undoing changes.
I have done the remove SoftwareDistribution folder. Actually I renamed it. A new folder appeared. With Windows defender shut off and internet connection off used the .msu file and it did not install either-same routine of undoing changes.
sfc /scannow says no errors.
The two other updates did install -Flash Player, Malicious software tool and Defender definition but not the update.
One oddity during the install process when a restart is begun a message box appears over the restart blue screen referencing an error with explorer.exe It is there so briefly I don't get a chance to record the numbers that might indicate the error nor do I get to click on the cancel button ...it just disappears and the restart process goes on.
I went back to command prompt and removed new SoftwareDistribution and renamed the old SoftwareDistribution then the history file is back.
Meanwhile my main desktop updated smoothly even though I used the .msu first . I discovered .msu not include the other additional updates so had to go through the Update routine. Afterwards disk cleanup took a very long time for the 3.9TB. Only the DCom error is in desktop event viewer the appreadiness errors are now gone.
At the moment the Laptop Update setting says up to date and the version is at .222
The Laptop is turned off and I'm considering the benefits of restoring a Reflect Image done just previous to this whole patch routine. This would mean starting all over again with this 'patch' and no guarantee of success.
IF both machines failed I would really be ranting
Edit: renaming etc of Distribution folder was done at Command Prompt(admin) and TheWindowsClub site has only the recommend to clear the SoftwareDistribution, disable antivirus and try again....been there done that.