Hi everybody out there,
having unsuccessfully tried to get help on German boards,
I have registered here. Maybe someone can help me.
I upgraded to Win10 in August and everything went fine until October 17, where my PC's event log states that
KB 3097617 failed to install due to 0x800f0816
Five days later the error code changed to 0x80070002
WIndows messages told me that updates could not be installed (as did and DOES the update procedure itself every time I tell my PC to "Reboot").
A manual install from the MS Website of the said Update failed on October 24th as well.
KB 3105216 installed successfully on October the 25th.
Then the cumulative Upgrade KB 3105210 started installing (but remained unsuccessful) on October 31st. It's basically the same problem just switched to the new update as far as I get it.
Event log first gave out error 0x800f0816 again with this new package, the error code changing to 0x80070002 on November 8th.
Another manual install from the MS website failed on November 8th.
My computer runs fine but the issue keeps me troubled because Updates should work fine in my opinion.
So finally I decided (more or less in despair) to try the new Win10 (Reset State) option in the Win10 Settings / Recovery section.
The machine gave me a (quite long) list of programs I would have to reinstall from scrap after creating an image of C: (which I did on drive W). But THEN: It told me the Reset could not be executed and now I'm here.
This is my PC:
System : Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 10.00.10240 (x64)
Mainboard : ASUS P8H67-M PRO
System BIOS : AMI (OEM) 3904 04/27/2013
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4C 8T 3.61GHz/3.8GHz, 3.6GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 8MB L3)
Slot : FC LGA1155
Gesamtspeicher : 8GB DIMM DDR3
Speichercontroller : ASUS Core (Sandy Bridge) DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 4GB DIMM DDR3 1.33GHz 128-bit
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (5CU 640SP SM5.2 1.12GHz/1.4GHz, 2MB L2, 4GB 5.4GHz 128-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (250GB, SATA600, SSD, SED) : 233GB (C)
Seagate ST31000524NS (1TB, SATA300, 7200rpm) : 932GB (D)(W)(X)
Generic- SD/MMC (USB2) : k.A. (F)
Generic- Compact Flash (USB2) : k.A. (G)
Generic- SM/xD-Picture (USB2) : k.A. (H)
Generic- MS/MS-Pro (USB2) : k.A. (J)
HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 (SATA150, BD-RE, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) : k.A. (I)
Hard disk (C) : 233GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (250GB, SATA600, SSD, SED)
Hard disk (D) : 247GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Seagate ST31000524NS (1TB, SATA300, 7200rpm)
Hard disk (W) : 684GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Seagate ST31000524NS (1TB, SATA300, 7200rpm)
Hard disk (X) : 8MB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Seagate ST31000524NS (1TB, SATA300, 7200rpm)
I've just tried to upload my CBS.log here (Somebody said experts could get something out of it - I can't),
but it's size is 4.74MB (maybe due to the same error thing) so I can't upload it here your site has just told me.
I'm grateful for every little hint I can get.