He told me to undo the cable to the modem and touch the end of the wire at the center when things slowed down, so I just did. Checked Internet speed again and lo and behold, it worked! I'm still not up to speed, but at least now I have 11.61 Mbps!
OMGoodness, it jumped from 8% to 15% while I was typing!
I'm still going to bed and let Build 10159 hopefully update.
wynona, you need to go to task manager, go to services, and restart the service while the update is going. restarting the service it should stop it and then it should start again by itself. if nothing happens the first time, do it again. but don't stop the dl. do it while it is going on. this should get you through, and pretty quickly. if it doesn't, there is definitely something else going on. good luck.
Anyway, I'm up to 44% downloaded now; took the cable out of the modem, spit on it and put it back . . . OK, OK, I didn't spit on it! Anyway, my download speed has gone from 2.39 Mbps to 11.61 Mbps, although that's not quite where it should be.
And, before you ask, no, the cable was not loose. I always use a pair of very small pliers to tighten down any cabling. Have to use them to undo it as well.