Hi Insiders –
As you may have heard
, the Office Insider program for Windows Desktop is now available in two levels—Office Insider Slow and Office Insider Fast.
So what does this mean to you?
- If you’re already an Office Insider, you’re now automatically enrolled in the Slow level. You’ll continue to receive early builds of Office 2016 once or twice a month, just as you have in the past.
- If you want even earlier access to new features, more frequently, you can opt into the new Fast level and receive weekly builds of Office 2016. The Fast level is a good fit for those who like to be first in line to try features and provide feedback, and who are comfortable using unsupported builds.
Note: Office Insider is designed for consumer customers who receive Office 2016 updates as part of an Office 365 Home, Personal, or University subscription. If you’re a commercial subscriber, it is possible to receive Fast builds, but you must follow these steps
instead of the ones described below.
Already an Office Insider? Here’s how you can change from the Slow to Fast level:
- Ensure that 16.0.7341.2021 is installed, which we released to Office Insiders last week.
- In any Office 2016 app, click File > Account > Office Insider > Change Level.
- Click Update Options > Update Now to install the Office Insider Fast build.
At this point, you should be on version 16.0.7329.1000. To check, click File > Account and look for the version information under the Office Updates heading. Don't worry if you see Version 1610 (Build 7329.1000) instead of 16.0.7329.1000. It's the same build. As an Office Insider on the Fast level, you're just getting a sneak peek at our new naming convention. :-)
Not yet an Office Insider and want to opt into the Fast level?
You’ll need to join the Office Insider program first, so you can install the latest Office Insider Slow build, 16.0.7341.2021
, which contains the new user interface options for opting into the Fast level. (These options are not yet available to our non-Insider audience, and this is currently the only way you can sign up to receive Fast builds.)
- Join the Office Insider program for Windows Desktop.
- On your My Account page, in the Version list, choose either Office Insider - 32-bit or Office Insider - 64-bit, and then click Install.
At this point, you should be on the Slow build, 16.0.7341.2021. To check, click File > Account and look for the version information under the Office Updates heading.
- To opt into the Office Insider Fast level and install the latest Fast build, follow steps 2 through 4 in the procedure above.
After you have the Fast build installed, check out the Shared with Me feature
, which makes it easy to find documents, spreadsheets, and presentations that others have shared with you from OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online.
What's the best way to report issues or leave feedback?
Feel free to use any of the following options.
- In any Office 2016 app, click File > Feedback. If you run into an issue, let us know by clicking I Don't Like Something. To suggest new features or improvements to existing features, click I Have a Suggestion and leave feedback on the app’s UserVoice site, which is like a community suggestion box.
Note: If you don’t see the I Have a Suggestion button shown above, it’s coming soon. In the meantime, you can go directly to these UserVoice sites: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Access, and Visio.
- Report issues or ask questions in the Office Insider community. Our product teams regularly promote Fast features in this forum, As Patrick from the Office Collaboration team has done here, and they'll help answer questions and troubleshoot any issues you find in Fast builds.
- Tweet us at Office Insider (@OfficeInsider).
Since the launch of Office Insider last November
, more than one million Insiders have used pre-release builds of Office across platforms and provided more than 100,000 pieces of feedback. You are instrumental in helping us improve the Office 2016 experience for millions of people around the world.