Windows 8 and Windows 10 download device drivers by default. But in some situations you don’t want that, such as:
- Newer drivers are causing issues with your system
- You want to use the original driver instead of the driver Windows provides you
- You want to see if the old driver works better.
- You got a newer driver then Windows provides.
There are many more situations, but those are the most common ones. We will explain how you can disable the automatic download of drivers in Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Disable Automatic Device Driver Download
1. Open File Explorer
and go to This PC.
2. Then click on System Properties
Windows 10: System Properties
3. Under the Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings
group, click on Change settings.
Windows 10: Workgroup Change Settings
4. Click on the Hardware
5. Under the the Device Installation Settings group, click on Device Installation Settings
Windows 10: Device Installation Settings
6. Now click on No, Let me choose what to do
, then select Never Install Drivers from Windows Update.
7. Click on Save Settings
, a system reboot is then necessary for the changes to take effect.
Windows 10: Driver Software
To enable the automatic download again, just repeat steps 1 trough 5 and then choose Yes, do this automatically
Tags: device driver
Share This Post:
About This Author
2014 & 2015 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Windows Experience Yuri specializes in troubleshooting (crash analysis and devices), system resource utilisation and system performance. He is also very interested in Customer Security. Yuri can be found as Windows Community Moderator and Wiki Author on Microsoft Answers and is active on different communities all across the web.