Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows10
       4 Weeks Ago #1

    Windows 10 Admin password will not work but I can use pin.


    Windows 10 reset by MS. Told to put in new Administrator password, which I did & wrote it down in 2 places. Now will not accept the PW. Can you have a PW and a pin pls, as it will accept the pin. Any ideas?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,945
    Windows 10 IoT
       4 Weeks Ago #2

    Yes you can have a password and a PIN. I have both setup on my laptop. On the Lock/login screen, below where you type them in, there should be a "login method" option. Click that and you can switch from Password to PIN of vice versa. Mine gets set back to Password after some Windows updates and I have to toggle it back to PIN. Every time a new build comes down the PIP it defaults back to Password. If it's set to PIN, and you enter your password, it won't let you log in. You have to tell it which one your typing in.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows10
       4 Weeks Ago #3

    Thanks Alpha. However, my system was reset by MS after not being able to get Updates for nearly 2 mths. The Admin password request flashed up & I set a password. I wrote down in 2 places but despite this it will not recognise the pw. It also asked me to set a pin which I did & it does recognise this & I can log in but will not let me change anything (that I can see) with this login. Any ideas pls. I have seen elsewhere on this forum that people can only use pin but no password, but cannot find it now. Cannot understand the different passwords & do not want to make a mistake. Thanks & kind regards
    Last edited by Doreen10; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:45. Reason: put reason
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,042
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       4 Weeks Ago #4

    This sounds a little shady. How did Microsoft tell you to reset the computer? If you can get in by PIN, are you able to change the password to something new?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,945
    Windows 10 IoT
       4 Weeks Ago #5

    Doreen10 said: View Post
    Thanks Alpha. However, my system was reset by MS after not being able to get Updates for nearly 2 mths. The Admin password request flashed up & I set a password. I wrote down in 2 places but despite this it will not recognise the pw. It also asked me to set a pin which I did & it does recognise this & I can log in but will not let me change anything (that I can see) with this login. Any ideas pls. I have seen elsewhere on this forum that people can only use pin but no password, but cannot find it now. Cannot understand the different passwords & do not want to make a mistake. Thanks & kind regards
    What original issue prompted you to call Microsoft support? Please don't tell me Microsoft called you. Because If they did, it wasn't Microsoft and your system is compromised.

    As far as I know, if you don't know the current password, you can't set a new password. Make sure caps lock and or numlock isn't on and try entering your password again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows10
       4 Weeks Ago #6

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    This sounds a little shady. How did Microsoft tell you to reset the computer? If you can get in by PIN, are you able to change the password to something new?
    I got help from MS website as I could not get the MS Updates for almost 2 months. Had lots of trouble with MS & it kept cutting off. Got the 'chat' box & then he helped me. Accessed my computer & then 'reset' it. I could not speak to him at the time as obviously it had flashed off & was rebooting. Then the new screen came back & the reset asked the questions to set it up. I did ask if this was legit & MS assured me it was their website.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,945
    Windows 10 IoT
       4 Weeks Ago #7

    I don't think you can set a PIN without first setting up a password. I haven't tried it myself, but I don't think you can do it. The prompt to set your password comes first during the Windows install, then setting up a PIN is optional. I use a PIN on my laptop to speed up the logon. On my desktop PC I just use a password and set it to auto log me on. Keep in mind, I'm logging in with my Microsoft Account.

    Are you using a local account or Microsoft Account to log in?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows10
       4 Weeks Ago #8

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    This sounds a little shady. How did Microsoft tell you to reset the computer? If you can get in by PIN, are you able to change the password to something new?
    MS had control of my computer to reset the updates but couldnt. They initiated the Reset. You have me worried now - I called them
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,945
    Windows 10 IoT
       4 Weeks Ago #9

    Doreen10 said: View Post
    I got help from MS website as I could not get the MS Updates for almost 2 months. Had lots of trouble with MS & it kept cutting off. Got the 'chat' box & then he helped me. Accessed my computer & then 'reset' it. I could not speak to him at the time as obviously it had flashed off & was rebooting. Then the new screen came back & the reset asked the questions to set it up. I did ask if this was legit & MS assured me it was their website.
    OK, we asked because there is scam on the go where someone calls you claiming to be from "Windows" or "Microsoft". They then try to convince you to let them remote access your PC. If you let them they start installing spyware etc and sometimes try to lock you out demanding money to let you back in etc. If that had happened it would explain why you password wouldn't work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 7,945
    Windows 10 IoT
       4 Weeks Ago #10

    Doreen10 said: View Post
    MS had control of my computer to reset the updates but couldnt. They initiated the Reset. You have me worried now - I called them
    Make sure what ever phone number your calling them with, is from a reputable source? There are fake sites with fake phone numbers that take you to scammers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 [Can't put in the admin password when try to install]
First of all,Im new with Windows 10... I got this problem a long time ago,I accidentally changed my MS account to Local,and then when I try to log in back as Admin,Its only give me Standard User... Its happen when I try to install sofware,it says...
Software and Apps
Admin password lockup Windows 10
Product Name: P3X7A#ABA Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit) see attached Got this computer on HSN last November didn't open till xmas. In set up thought it was odd I ended up with a sign-on of just using a "pin". Wondered why it...
User Accounts and Family Safety
System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset
Hi Yet again, Windows is frustratingly taking up all of my time and I have tried everything google has to offer to try and fix it but it seems like no one has screwed up as much as I have on whatever forum. Let me explain the problem: I'm...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Windows 10 admin password reset or new account with admin rights
The firm in which I work has a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. There are two user profiles on the computer, the admin and another normal account without administration rights. We have only the password of the account without administrator...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums