Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       24 Sep 2015 #1

    Renamed PC name not showing in MS account devices


    Hi

    This is more frustrating than anything. I installed Windows 10, and after signing in with my Microsoft account I remembered to rename the PC from the DESKTOP-blah name to something more memorable. However, when I look at the devices in my Microsoft account settings (https://account.microsoft.com/devices) I still see the old name. I've removed the PC from the MS account devices, and switched to a local account on the PC then back to my MS account again, but it re-adds the PC with the old name each time.

    Any ideas how I get my MS account to forget about the old name altogether?

    Duncan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       24 Sep 2015 #2

    An update:

    I reset Windows through Settings/Update & Security/Recovery, removing my user account, applications and settings completely and starting again with a local account. It came up with a new computer name, DESKTOP-blah2, so I renamed it and restarted before I signed in with my Microsoft account for the first time.

    After verifying my account with the Authenticator app and waiting for a bit, lo and behold the computer re-appears in my devices list online - With the DESKTOP-blah2 name! How is that even possible given that it had that name for less than a minute, during which time I was only signed in with a local account!??

    I think at this point I might give up as it seems I'm doomed to see my computer referred to by its silly default name forever

    Unless anyone has any bright ideas?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 1,888
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       24 Sep 2015 #3

    Just a thought, use web browser and type in the address field: onedrive.com and sign in with your MS Account. Click on the wheel on top right of the browser->Options and check if your PC Settings is saved in onedrive under device backups.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       24 Sep 2015 #4

    Thanks for your reply.

    As it happened, I had a backup in there for the same PC (with the same memorable name) from before I wiped Windows 8.1 and installed Windows 10. I've now removed it as it was no longer relevant anyway.

    As an aside, OneDrive itself manages fine with the memorable name - it hasn't tried to use the DESKTOP-blah2 name at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       25 Sep 2015 #5

    Created an account to post here as well. Having the same issue after reinstalling Windows 10 (fourth time in a week last night) trying to see if I could refresh the PC name. No avail.

    Spent 3 hours with Microsoft Support and got hung up on after countless, "We're transferring to so and so department."

    This was just working two weeks ago doing the first clean install. After encountering some bugs with the built-in Windows apps, I tried again, and the PC name no longer syncs to my account. Still having issues after another reinstall and a 'Reset' suggested by a support tech. Very frustrating indeed!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       26 Sep 2015 #6

    wdogg590 said: View Post
    Created an account to post here as well. Having the same issue after reinstalling Windows 10 (fourth time in a week last night) trying to see if I could refresh the PC name. No avail.

    Spent 3 hours with Microsoft Support and got hung up on after countless, "We're transferring to so and so department."

    This was just working two weeks ago doing the first clean install. After encountering some bugs with the built-in Windows apps, I tried again, and the PC name no longer syncs to my account. Still having issues after another reinstall and a 'Reset' suggested by a support tech. Very frustrating indeed!!!
    I know it's not great news for you, but it's encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the name of the PC when Windows first gets activated, as when I reset my PC I was never asked to activate again so it may have done so before I got the chance to rename it. Just speculating though. If you manage to get it sorted out I'd be grateful if you could post back here to let me know.

    Thanks

    Duncan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       26 Sep 2015 #7

    DuncanP said: View Post
    I know it's not great news for you, but it's encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the name of the PC when Windows first gets activated, as when I reset my PC I was never asked to activate again so it may have done so before I got the chance to rename it. Just speculating though. If you manage to get it sorted out I'd be grateful if you could post back here to let me know.
    Hi Duncan, this thread was literally the only thing I saw on this 'issue'. Good to know what at least one of the many are having such an issue.

    When I got up from my nap today, I went to my devices under my Microsoft account and, "what, the name updated?!"

    It's possible my constant nagging got someone at MS to refresh my accounts, but I'm thinking because of all the PC's upgrading to Windows 10, their servers are just loaded. It took my PC a day and a half to show the updated name on my account after Resetting my PC from the Recovery page in Settings app. But yeah, I was also getting DESKTOP-xxxxxxx. It's just how Windows 10 does things now I suppose. And since the key is wired to the motherboard, it's not necessary for us to reinsert any keys.

    Renaming our PC in the Settings app or System Properties is definitely the right way to do it, we're not crazy Duncan! It sucks but the only option in this case is to wait it out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    27 Sep 2015 #8

    DuncanP said: View Post
    I know it's not great news for you, but it's encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the name of the PC when Windows first gets activated, as when I reset my PC I was never asked to activate again so it may have done so before I got the chance to rename it. Just speculating though. If you manage to get it sorted out I'd be grateful if you could post back here to let me know.

    Thanks

    Duncan
    It took my name changes days to show up in My Account.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 11
    windows 10
       27 Sep 2015 #9

    I had the same issue and it was resolved with the adice duncanp is giving, mine now works on the 2 new machines, but I cant join network from laptop which is windows 10 home now.

    Another issue to solve.

    1
    DuncanP said: View Post
    An update:

    I reset Windows through Settings/Update & Security/Recovery, removing my user account, applications and settings completely and starting again with a local account. It came up with a new computer name, DESKTOP-blah2, so I renamed it and restarted before I signed in with my Microsoft account for the first time.

    After verifying my account with the Authenticator app and waiting for a bit, lo and behold the computer re-appears in my devices list online - With the DESKTOP-blah2 name! How is that even possible given that it had that name for less than a minute, during which time I was only signed in with a local account!??

    I think at this point I might give up as it seems I'm doomed to see my computer referred to by its silly default name forever

    Unless anyone has any bright ideas?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       05 Oct 2015 #10

    Hi

    Another update. The name has now finally changed in the devices list! It's still showing as the old name in the Family page however, but fingers crossed that will eventually update as well.

    Thanks for all the comments everyone.

    Duncan
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Files and Folders Not Showing on External Devices
Hello, I have this issue where the files and folders on an external device (such as an external HDD and USB) are not showing up, yet the device is visible. I only started getting this issue after I connected my USB to another computer which makes me...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Multiple Devices upgraded to Win 10 Home with same MS account
Hello Guys, I have upgraded 3 devices from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (Home) Device Default OS Upgraded to
Installation and Setup
Garmin devices in device manager but not showing in explorer.
Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and everything works fine apart from this. I have Garmin edge 510 and 200 cycle computers, when plugged into the computer they are seen by windows and show up in device manager under disk drives. (as they...
Drivers and Hardware
Microsoft Account - Add or Remove Trusted Devices
Add or Remove Trusted Devices Associated with your Microsoft Account in Windows 10 When you try to view or edit sensitive info related to your Microsoft account—like your credit card details—Microsoft might ask you for a security code first, to...
Tutorials
Now check which devices are accessing your Google Account
Read more...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums