Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

  1. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 19,749
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       2016-09-03 #310

    bilateral said: View Post
    Okay, interesting. I thought if the computer reboots, the ISO is dismounted. You are saying in this case, Windows will know to remount it if needed.
    Windows will not dis-mount the ISO at all....you will have to when the install is done.
    Actually After installing your Anniversary Update, Windows does close the Windows mounted iso automatically now. I forgot, the older versions did not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 16,386
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       2016-09-03 #311

    @bilateral ... if you have "put" the ISO on a DVD, I presume you mean you have "burned" it to a DVD.

    Regardless of how confident you are in your installation, back it up!!! Before you attempt any upgrade.

    THEN........

    To get you upgraded to the Anniversary Edition....

    Put the DVD in the drive. Go to MY PC. Click on the DVD drive you see there. It will open. Click the SETUP file. Away you go with the upgrade to Anniversary Edition! It will look just like the tutorial in post #301.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10
       2016-09-03 #312

    @tomcat--
    Yes, burned DVD from ISO. It sounds like you are saying it does not really matter whether I use the DVD or the mounted ISO. I can update to AU either way. It seems OldMike prefers mounting the ISO. Makes sense, saves a DVD or flash drive, but I already have a DVD, so I might as well use that. Be a few days before I can make a backup and get to it.

    Michael
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 16,386
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       2016-09-03 #313

    bilateral said: View Post
    @tomcat--
    Yes, burned DVD from ISO. It sounds like you are saying it does not really matter whether I use the DVD or the mounted ISO. I can update to AU either way. It seems OldMike prefers mounting the ISO. Makes sense, saves a DVD or flash drive, but I already have a DVD, so I might as well use that. Be a few days before I can make a backup and get to it.

    Michael
    That's true. You can do either. I've got several machine OS's and if I don't get the update thru Windows in a timely fashion, I usually use Rufus to put it on a thumb drive (same as burning a DVD) and update the others with it. Your choice. ISO mounted from a separate drive is the best choice, though, in your case. I will mention to you one thing. If you use the DVD, after it has finished configuring all the files it needs, the machine will restart. If you still have the DVD in there, it may try to boot from it. When you see that getting ready to happen, eject the DVD. If you miss that chance, you'll probably get a message at the top of your screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD". DO NOT DO THAT!!! Let it go normally, and after it starts the process, eject the DVD. Sounds confusing, I know, but that's why mounting the ISO (on separate drive) and running from that is a lot more foolproof.

    If I've totally confused you, I apologize. Sorry.....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 19,749
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       2016-09-03 #314

    Done it many times from the C-Drive ....never once had a problem, plus I never use rufus, as its not really needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10
       2016-09-03 #315

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    That's true. You can do either. I've got several machine OS's and if I don't get the update thru Windows in a timely fashion, I usually use Rufus to put it on a thumb drive (same as burning a DVD) and update the others with it. Your choice. ISO mounted from a separate drive is the best choice, though, in your case. I will mention to you one thing. If you use the DVD, after it has finished configuring all the files it needs, the machine will restart. If you still have the DVD in there, it may try to boot from it. When you see that getting ready to happen, eject the DVD. If you miss that chance, you'll probably get a message at the top of your screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD". DO NOT DO THAT!!! Let it go normally, and after it starts the process, eject the DVD. Sounds confusing, I know, but that's why mounting the ISO (on separate drive) and running from that is a lot more foolproof.

    If I've totally confused you, I apologize. Sorry.....

    Okay, not really a problem. The machine we are currently discussing is a laptop, so that drive will probably pop out when it finishes. If not, I'll keep my eye on it--I know what to do. I do also have another laptop and two desk machines to update pretty soon, so I will particularly watch out with the desktop machines. I didn't want to mess with those (which have not given corruption msgs.) until I understood what is going on with my laptop.

    BTW, because the laptop has such a weak onboard display, I have not been geared to go to Nvidia for a driver. I just don't expect much from it anyway. But I think I also have Nvidia in the desktop machines, so I may try doing that more with those.

    Michael
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 161
    Windows 10 x64
       2016-09-05 #316

    Downloaded the latest iso from the Media Creation Tool
    Win10_1607_English_x64.iso

    Mounted that file, drive J:
    The install.wim was located in J:\Sources, so: J:\Sources\install.wim


    I then used
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:J:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture-05092016 092342.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	477.0 KB 
ID:	99918

    but still got an error:

    Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found.

    In case of a mounted ISO, is the instruction different then?
    (mounted using Windows Explorer)

    Name:  Capture-05092016 095749.png
Views: 217
Size:  138.3 KB

    Last question:
    Can version 1607 be used to repair 10586.545 ?

    Thanks
    =
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 16,386
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       2016-09-05 #317

    tfwul said: View Post
    Downloaded the latest iso from the Media Creation Tool
    Win10_1607_English_x64.iso


    Mounted that file, drive J:
    The install.wim was located in J:\Sources, so: J:\Sources\install.wim


    I then used
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:J:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture-05092016 092342.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	477.0 KB 
ID:	99918

    but still got an error:

    Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found.

    In case of a mounted ISO, is the instruction different then?
    (mounted using Windows Explorer)

    Name:  Capture-05092016 095749.png
Views: 217
Size:  138.3 KB

    Last question:
    Can version 1607 be used to repair 10586.545 ?

    Thanks
    =
    @tfwul ... The ISO downloaded using Media Creation Tool is in a compressed format, referred to as ESD format. It will not work correctly with DISM. It is fine for installing and doing in-place repairs, but not for DISM. You must use the WIM format ISO from this link: Windows 10 ISO

    Lots of people use the incorrect format and get the error. Many wonder why does MS have two different ISO's. It can get confusing. The contents of the two formats are identical, the only difference is the size of the ISO. The MCT (highly compressed ESD) is about 600-700MB smaller than the un-compressed WIM. MS has supplied two different ones to reduce download times, especially on metered connections. The ESD is the generally used format, but will not run correctly with DISM work.

    Hope this clears up the error for you. Download using the link above, and you should be good to go!

    And to answer your question: Last question:
    Can version 1607 be used to repair 10586.545 ?

    NO

    TC
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Home
       2016-09-05 #318

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    @tfwul ... The ISO downloaded using Media Creation Tool is in a compressed format, referred to as ESD format. It will not work correctly with DISM. It is fine for installing and doing in-place repairs, but not for DISM. You must use the WIM format ISO from this link: Windows 10 ISO

    Lots of people use the incorrect format and get the error. Many wonder why does MS have two different ISO's. It can get confusing. The contents of the two formats are identical, the only difference is the size of the ISO. The MCT (highly compressed ESD) is about 600-700MB smaller than the un-compressed WIM. MS has supplied two different ones to reduce download times, especially on metered connections. The ESD is the generally used format, but will not run correctly with DISM work.

    Hope this clears up the error for you. Download using the link above, and you should be good to go!

    And to answer your question: Last question:
    Can version 1607 be used to repair 10586.545 ?

    NO

    TC
    Hi,
    I have the same problem as tfwul, I used the wim format ISO from the link you gave but dism still can't locate the files.
    The ISO I've downloaded indeed does not have the same build number as my operating system (ISO is 1607, my system is 10586.545), but this is what I get from the download site. Do I need a different version of the ISO? Where can I get it?
    Thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 16,386
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       2016-09-05 #319

    @Nivn ... you still there?? TC
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
SFC Scannow or DISM/RestoreHealth using Image
Windows 10 user. Having some trouble with my system after coming back from a weekend. Nothing major...just having trouble playing some games that require plugins etc Regardless if it's related, I just wanted to run an SFC/Scannow or...
Performance & Maintenance
How to repair your system files using Dism and Sfc in build 10041
Hello, everyone, I've managed to resolve most of my problems with build 10041 by making SFC work. I've opened a thread on Windows Insider's forums explaining how to do it. Check it out:...
Windows Insider
Windows 10 Crashing on CLASSPNP.SYS in safemode and startup repair.
I've just upgraded Windows 7 64-bit HP OEM to Windows 10 Technical preview 64-bit. Extracted the install while booted within 7, install went smoothly, opted to keep all my files, and once the install was finished it went to boot Windows 10. It hung...
General Support
W10 Disk Image Utility Reports Error After Image Creation.
I installed the 32 bit version of W10 on an old Acer laptop to get back up to speed with developments, and one of the first questions or issues that cropped up is when using W10's disk image utility to make a system image. I deliberately wished to...
General Support
Windows 10 TP Repair and Recovery Features
I'm currently running the 10 TP in a virtual machine. I see that the various boot and repair options can be accessed by <shift> Restart from the desktop, however F8 during boot doesn't appear to work. Can someone who is actually running this on...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:20.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums