How to Install a CAB File in Windows 10
InformationA cabinet is a single file, usually with a .cab extension, that stores compressed files in a file library. Some Windows 10 updates are redistributed in the .cab archive format.
You can use the DISM /Add-Package command with Windows cabinet (.cab) files to install or remove updates, service packs, language packs, and to enable or disable Windows features.
This tutorial will show you how to install a .cab file in Windows 10.
You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to install a .cab file.
OPTION ONETo Install CAB file using Context Menu
1. For how, see: How to Add or Remove Install CAB Context Menu in Windows 10
OPTION TWOTo Install CAB file in Command Prompt
NoteFor more details about the DISM /Online /Add-Package command usage, see:
- DISM Operating System Package (.cab or .msu) Servicing Command-Line Options
- How to use DISM to install a hotfix from within Windows | Ask the Core Team
1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"Full path of .cab file"
NoteSubstitute Full path of .cab file with the actual full path of the .cab file's location.
Code:DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\windows10.0-kb3197356-x64_d6fad26f376b0d75ead84ab704fb760cf8b5e34e.cab"
3. If prompted to restart the computer, type Y.
For some strange reasons my Win 10 x64 tries always to run DISM (or SFC) 32bit.
To make it work fine I've had to use a small trick: "C:\windows\sysnative\DISM ..."