Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

  1. Joined : Mar 2016
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10
       2016-10-26 #180

    I've had a couple of updates recently after which I had to run the "Restore" and "Install" commands. All good.
    Yesterday however the lock screen came up again from Hibernation. BUT..........there were no updates.
    I ran "Restore" successfully, but when I ran "Install" it said: "sorry, your LogonController.dll has an unknown MD5"
    Very frustrating and I am getting to the point of surrender to Microsoft.................., BUT, that's not me!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Mar 2016
    Posts : 18
    Windows 10
       2016-10-27 #181

    Fixed it: I have 3 computers with windows 10, all are up-to-date with winver. 1607.14393.321
    I copied the LogonController.dll & the .bak files from a computer that has NO logonscreen to a memory stick and copied them to my "faulty" computer. After a re-boot I still had the logonScreen. Then I ran the "Restore" & "Install" commands and now it's all OK again.
    But, what caused the system to show up with a LogonScreen in the first place is still a mistery.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 14
    10
       2016-10-27 #182

    Any ideas how to re-enable a lockscreen that has stopped appearing since updating to the Anniversary Update? I realise this is the stated goal of most people on this thread, but I am using a tablet where a lockscreen is essential. The reg file in the OP makes no difference. Will copying the LogonController.dll from another similar (but not identical) tablet where the lockscreen does appear do the trick? I have just such a tablet to hand...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,568
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14986
       2016-10-27 #183

    ssme said: View Post
    Any ideas how to re-enable a lockscreen that has stopped appearing since updating to the Anniversary Update? I realise this is the stated goal of most people on this thread, but I am using a tablet where a lockscreen is essential. The reg file in the OP makes no difference. Will copying the LogonController.dll from another similar (but not identical) tablet where the lockscreen does appear do the trick? I have just such a tablet to hand...
    Hello ssme,

    Double check to see if this below may be the issue.

    If you turn on Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen, then you will need to make sure that you have Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing checked in your visual effects settings to prevent the lock screen background not displaying properly.
    Lock Screen Background - Change in Windows 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 14
    10
       2016-10-28 #184

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello ssme,

    Double check to see if this below may be the issue.



    Lock Screen Background - Change in Windows 10
    Just checked and that's not the issue, sadly. It seems as though Windows 10 "forgets" it's meant to show the lock screens, as everything is set up to have them appear. Something was obviously switched in the AU update, and now there's no way to get them back.

    (I realise how contrary I sound in this thread where everyone else is striving to do the exact opposite )
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,568
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14986
       2016-10-28 #185

    ssme,

    You might see if running a SFC /SCANNOW command may help if you have a corrupted or modified system file at fault.

    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 14
    10
       2016-10-28 #186

    Brink said: View Post
    ssme,

    You might see if running a SFC /SCANNOW command may help if you have a corrupted or modified system file at fault.

    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Tried that too Found no problems at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,568
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14986
       2016-10-28 #187

    I'm not sure what else to suggest other than a repair install may help.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Nov 2016
    Posts : 6
    W10pro
       2 Weeks Ago #188

    Hello everybody...and glad to be here.
    I'm trying to understand the 4 options to "disable ... disable ... disable ... disable the damn lock screen"!.
    I have an intel NUC used for a HTPC with installed Windows 10 pro. There only 1 user (me as a administrator). All the configs are set to don't ask for password at startup, there isn't screensaver, no sleep, no turn off display etc...

    I think then that the lock screen it's another thing. Because it's said, if i have a W10 pro the only method valid its THREE.
    But you're saying i need to "force" login at startup computer, then logout , then force sleep, then log again to this method works.
    It will disable the lock screen when a user locks the computer, signs out, and resume from sleep.
    I don't understand.
    If i have the "don't ask for password" at startup it's this method valid?

    thanks
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,568
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14986
       2 Weeks Ago #189

    orbtwin said: View Post
    Hello everybody...and glad to be here.
    I'm trying to understand the 4 options to "disable ... disable ... disable ... disable the damn lock screen"!.
    I have an intel NUC used for a HTPC with installed Windows 10 pro. There only 1 user (me as a administrator). All the configs are set to don't ask for password at startup, there isn't screensaver, no sleep, no turn off display etc...

    I think then that the lock screen it's another thing. Because it's said, if i have a W10 pro the only method valid its THREE.
    But you're saying i need to "force" login at startup computer, then logout , then force sleep, then log again to this method works.
    I don't understand.
    If i have the "don't ask for password" at startup it's this method valid?

    thanks
    Hello orbtwin, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    It means that the option will disable the lock screen seen when a user performs those actions. None of which are for at startup, but since you have Windows set to automatically sign in to your account at startup, you won't see the lock screen at startup anyways.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
How to Enable or Disable Built-in Elevated Administrator Account in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the hidden built-in elevated Administrator account in Windows 10. You must be signed in as an administrator...
Tutorials
Sign-in Screen Background Image - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
How to Enable or Disable Sign-in Screen Background Image in Windows 10 Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the lock screen and enter your credentials on the Sign-in screen to...
Tutorials
Hibernate - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
How to Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10 Hibernate is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops, and might not be available for all PCs (PCs with InstantGo don't have the hibernate option). While sleep puts your work and...
Tutorials
Disable the Lock Screen?
Is there any way to disable the Lock Screen instead so it won't show on startup? Thanks
Customization
Aero Shake - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
How to Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Windows 10 Your screen(s) can get cluttered if you have a lot of opened app windows. Aero Shake lets you quickly minimize all opened windows except the current active window by shaking its title bar....
Tutorials
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums