Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

  1. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 27
    Windows 10
       2016-08-30 #50

    I want to sell this PC to other. How do I make sure my MSA unlinked properly from this machine?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,448
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14971
       2016-08-30 #51

    trashcanbin10 said: View Post
    I want to sell this PC to other. How do I make sure my MSA unlinked properly from this machine?
    Hello trashcanbin10,

    You can remove the PC from your Microsoft account to help do so.

    Microsoft Account - Remove Devices
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 11
    10
       2016-08-31 #52

    Hi
    I discovered this forum and I have read carefully this tutorial. It covers a very important issue for me, which is replacing the motherboard in Windows 10.
    My system is a Windows 10 Pro build 1607.
    I do not have a Microsoft account and I did not want to, but I've noticed that if I want to change the motherboard or processor, I must have an account.
    However I continue with some doubts:
    - how many times can I change the processor?
    - how many times can I change my motherboard?
    - can I change a motherboard from socket 1150 to socket 1151?
    - and from chipset H81 to chipset Z97?
    - or I must stay at the same chipset? (E.g. H81)
    - Is there a tutorial to explain what are the steps to make these changes?
    - can i buy and use an used motherboard or CPU that was already in use in another computer with windows 10?

    Thanks in advance
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,448
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14971
       2016-08-31 #53

    Hello Inet, and welcome to Ten Forums.

    Microsoft will not reveal the exact details on how and how many times in a time frame since they do not want people to be able to use the knowledge for piracy.

    Changing the CPU will not affect anything.

    Changing the socket or chipset will require to change the motherboard to one that has what you want included.

    Just remember that an OEM license is non transferable. It can't be used to activate another PC or same PC with new motherboard.

    Only a retail license is transferable.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,350
    Windows10
       2016-08-31 #54

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello trashcanbin10,

    You can remove the PC from your Microsoft account to help do so.

    Microsoft Account - Remove Devices
    It is not fully understood by many users that unlinking your digital licence from your MSA does not remove your digital licence from the MS activation servers. More interestingly, it seems transferring licence to new device does not appear to delete the digital licence for the old device!

    This creates an interesting legal issue i.e. if you transfer the digital licence to a new pc, and wipe old pc of windows 10, then sell pc, you as owner have fully complied with EULA.

    However if new owner installs windows 10, it will still activate automatically - is new owner using it illegally?

    The answer is probably yes but how would such a user know - it would just seem good luck to them.

    It is certainly not the seller's responsibility of course.

    I sometimes wonder if MS really cares that much - just getting everybody in Windows 10 seems to be more important than worrying about full EULA compliance?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 11
    10
       2016-08-31 #55

    cereberus said: View Post
    It is not fully understood by many users that unlinking your digital licence from your MSA does not remove your digital licence from the MS activation servers. More interestingly, it seems transferring licence to new device does not appear to delete the digital licence for the old device!

    This creates an interesting legal issue i.e. if you transfer the digital licence to a new pc, and wipe old pc of windows 10, then sell pc, you as owner have fully complied with EULA.

    However if new owner installs windows 10, it will still activate automatically - is new owner using it illegally?

    The answer is probably yes but how would such a user know - it would just seem good luck to them.

    It is certainly not the seller's responsibility of course.

    I sometimes wonder if MS really cares that much - just getting everybody in Windows 10 seems to be more important than worrying about full EULA compliance?
    Touchdown! lol
    It's also my feeling. Microsoft currently wants everyone to migrate to Windows 10 at any price and this will bring problems for many users. And Microsoft is not helping to solve that.
    The case of sell/buy used motherboards is one of them. A user risk to buy a very expensive motherboard, and then not be able to use it because it is "stuck" to the old user account. So at this point I do not buy any used board that has already been used in windows 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-09-02 #56

    Hi everyone, just registered to post some interesting details.

    I how two machines, one custom built PC and other a Dell Laptop. On both machines I have digital license activated using the free upgrade from Win 7 Pro (PC) and Win 8.1 (Laptop).

    On both machines I have just logged in to "Mail and Calendar" app using a Microsoft account while still using Local Account for login.

    After reading this thread I was curious to see if at all I have these devices linked to my MSA or not and voila they are, see attached.

    AFAIK I never linked my MSA to Windows login and still I see these two devices in my account.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image916.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	99513
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 83
    Win 7 Ultimate
       2016-09-06 #57

    Yes. Thank you . Is there any way / any place I can still download 14371?

    cereberus said: View Post
    You had to be on version 14371 onwards to link the account.

    If you login with a local account, you had to manually link it. I did a lot of testing, and I discovered

    1) if you go back to a local account - the digital link gets removed!

    A couple of use even tried going offline, then reverting to a local account but sooner or later the MSA account caught up removing the link - not sure how though.

    2) it only remembers the last digital licence install in the MSA.

    So if you had installed home and digitally activated it and linked to MSA, then later installed pro and digitally activated it linking to MSA, the home link gets removed ie you can only have one digital link per device per ms account. The workaround is to use a separate MSA for each install.

    3) there is a very low limit how many times you can transfer a key - I did it two or three times (can't remember exactly but no more for sure), and it objects saying it has been moved too often. Of course this happened after 5 times on old product key activation, but then you could use telephone activation to reinstate key.
    Let's say I do the following:
    1) I do not go back to a local account and my last login on the given HWID is using the MSA. But later I end up nuking the VHD after Linkage is successful. Then? I never give MS a chance to access that HWID + Win 10, until if some point in future we do go to Win 10.

    2) My goal is not to have Linkage of HOME & PRO on one machine to my MSA.
    My goal is to Link multiple machines (all with Pro) to my MSA

    3) My goal at the moment is not even to transfer, but just to have a linkage/ place reference for the "Activated HWID" somewhere - and MSA seems to be the place for it.
    Last edited by xbliss; 2016-09-13 at 01:13.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 83
    Win 7 Ultimate
       2016-09-06 #58

    Big brother to the next level
    milanmk said: View Post
    Hi everyone, just registered to post some interesting details.

    I how two machines, one custom built PC and other a Dell Laptop. On both machines I have digital license activated using the free upgrade from Win 7 Pro (PC) and Win 8.1 (Laptop).

    On both machines I have just logged in to "Mail and Calendar" app using a Microsoft account while still using Local Account for login.

    After reading this thread I was curious to see if at all I have these devices linked to my MSA or not and voila they are, see attached.

    AFAIK I never linked my MSA to Windows login and still I see these two devices in my account.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image916.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	99513
    The Laptop-XXXXX & PC-XXXX are the Windows Computer Names you have given right?
    How & where is it able to pick up your Hardware device model? e.g. Inspiron 3542
    Also, what is the "data item" thing you blurred under the Inspiron & above the Win 10 Core? (Wondering what else they are picking up)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-09-07 #59

    xbliss said: View Post
    Big brother to the next level

    The Laptop-XXXXX & PC-XXXX are the Windows Computer Names you have given right?
    How & where is it able to pick up your Hardware device model? e.g. Inspiron 3542
    Also, what is the "data item" thing you blurred under the Inspiron & above the Win 10 Core? (Wondering what else they are picking up)
    The Laptop-XXXXX & PC-XXXX are the Windows Computer Names you have given right?
    Yes

    How & where is it able to pick up your Hardware device model? e.g. Inspiron 3542
    No idea

    Also, what is the "data item" thing you blurred under the Inspiron & above the Win 10 Core?
    That is my Dell Service Tag number
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Cannot Link Microsoft Account / Setup Cortana !!
Hello, Could someone help me please. I'm trying to setup Cortana and have been doing for some time now. I've fixed the issues regarding "Not Available in your Country / Region" by setting all my settings to UK and made sure they're all the same....
Software and Apps
Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account
I just updated to Windows 10 and the account I migrated from Windows 7 won't let me link my Microsoft account. Windows Store crashes when I click Sign In, and any other button that would bring up a dialog box is just unresponsive (Cortana, User...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account
Hi all, When I click on the link to associate my Microsoft Account to my Local Account (after upgrading from Windows 7), it simply does nothing. Click, click, click. Similarly, when I try to log in the Windows store app, I get an application...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Microsoft releases new license terms for Windows 10: Biggest surprise?
Source
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Releases Major Windows 10 Update, Adds Dolby Digital Plus...
Source
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums