How to Reset Open and Save As Common Item Dialog Boxes to Default in Windows
InformationStarting with Windows Vista, the Common Item Dialog (CID) supersedes the older Common File Dialog when used to open or save a file. The Common Item Dialog is used in two variations: the Open dialog and the Save as dialog. These two dialogs share most of their functionality, but each has its own unique methods.
The Open dialog box lets the user specify the drive, directory, and the name of a file or set of files to open.
The Save As dialog box lets the user specify the drive, directory, and name of a file to save.
This tutorial will show you how to reset the view settings of Open and Save As Common Item Dialog boxes back to default for your account in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.
NoteThe registry keys below store the view settings of Open and Save As dialog boxes. The downloadable .reg file in the tutorial below will delete these registry keys to reset the Open and Save As dialog boxes to default. These registry keys will automatically be recreated the next time you open a Open or Save As dialog.
EXAMPLE: Open and Save As dialog boxes
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below.
2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.
3. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.
4. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.
5. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.