How to Remove Devices from your Microsoft Account
InformationA Microsoft account is what you use to sign in to Microsoft services such as outlook.com (or Hotmail), Office, OneDrive, Skype, Xbox, Windows, and more. It makes your experiences on devices and services more personal and relevant to you.
Any device (ex: PC, phone, tablet, laptop, Xbox, etc...) that you signed in to with your Microsoft account will be associated with your Microsoft account, and listed under "Your devices" online until you remove the device.
You can sign in to your Microsoft account online to find your phone, get support, and get warranty info for your devices.
You would want to remove a device from your Microsoft account after you no longer have it anymore.
This tutorial will show you how to remove a Xbox One, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, or Windows 10 Mobile device from your Microsoft account.
NoteIf you use and sign in to a removed device again with your Microsoft account, then the device will be associated with your Microsoft account and listed under "Your devices" online again.
When you remove a device from your Microsoft account, the device will still be associated with the Store for getting apps and games. The Store has a limit of 10 associated devices. If you like, you may also wish to remove the device from your Store account.
WarningOnce you remove your phone, you won't be able to use a Find My Phone feature below.
- How to Use Find My Device for Windows 10 Mobile Phone
- How to Ring your Windows 10 Mobile Phone Online
- How to Lock your Windows 10 Mobile Phone Online
- How to Erase your Windows 10 Mobile Phone Online
If you lost your phone, then you should erase it using Find My Phone before you remove it from your Microsoft account.
1. Go to the Your devices page online for your Microsoft account, and sign in if you are not already.
2. Click/tap on the Remove link for the device you want to remove. (see screenshot below)
3. If prompted, sign in with your Microsoft account password to verify. (see screenshot below)
4. Check the I'm ready to remove this device box, and click/tap on Remove. (see screenshots below)
5. The device has now been removed from being associated with your Microsoft account. You can click/tap on Back to Devices if you would like to remove another device. (see screenshots below)
6. It is now recommended to reset your device to remove your Microsoft account and any personal information from it.
- How to Remove Windows 10 Devices from your Store Account
- Add or Remove Trusted Devices Associated with your Microsoft Account in Windows 10
- How to Switch to a Microsoft Account from a Local Account in Windows 10
- How to Add a New User Account in Windows 10