How to Backup and Restore Quick Access Toolbar in Windows 10 File Explorer
InformationThe Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) is a small, customizable toolbar that exposes a set of Commands that are specified by the application or selected by the user.
After you have added items to the Quick Access Toolbar in File Explorer and set QAT to show above or below the Ribbon, you may wish to back up your QAT settings. You will then be able to restore or apply the backup to any account on any Windows 10 PC.
This tutorial will show you how to backup and restore File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar settings in Windows 10.
NoteThe Quick Access Toolbar settings are saved to the QatItems binary value in the registry key below. The downloadable .bat file below exports the Ribbon key below to back up QAT to a Quick_Access_Toolbar_Backup.reg on your desktop.
- Option One: To Back Up File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar Settings
- Option Two: To Restore File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar Settings
EXAMPLE: Quick Access Toolbar in File Explorer
OPTION ONETo Back Up File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar Settings
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.
3. Unblock the .bat file.
4. Run the .bat file to apply.
5. You will now have a Quick_Access_Toolbar_Backup.reg file created on your desktop as the backup of your Quick Access Toolbar settings. Save it to where you like to keep it stored at.
OPTION TWOTo Restore File Explorer Quick Access Toolbar Settings
1. Double click/tap on the Quick_Access_Toolbar_Backup.reg file from Option One to merge it and apply the backed up QAT settings to the current user account.
2. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.
3. If File Explorer is currently open, then you can either navigate to another folder or close and reopen File Explorer to apply.
- How to Add or Remove Quick Access Toolbar Items in Windows 10 File Explorer
- How to Show Quick Access Toolbar Above or Below Ribbon in Windows 10 File Explorer
- How to Reset Quick Access Toolbar to Default in Windows 10 File Explorer