How to Reset Details and Preview Pane Width Size to Default in Windows 8 and 10
InformationThe details pane shows you see the most common properties associated with the selected file. File properties provide more detailed info about a file, such as the author, the date you last changed the file, and any descriptive tags you might have added to the file.
The preview pane shows you see the contents of a file, such as image or text files, without having to open it with an app.
You can adjust the width of the details pane or preview pane in File Explorer by dragging its left border to the left or right for the width you want. The details pane and preview pane share the same width setting. This is also a global setting that gets applied to all explorer windows in only your user account.
This tutorial will show you how to reset the width of the details pane and preview pane in explorer back to default for your account in Windows 8 and Windows 10.
NoteThe downloadable .reg file below in this tutorial deletes the DetailsContainerSizer binary value in the registry key below to reset the navigation pane width.
EXAMPLE: Details Pane and Preview Pane default width in File Explorer
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below.
2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.
3. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.
4. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.
5. If you currently have File Explorer open, then close and reopen or navigate to another folder to apply.
6. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.
- How to Show or Hide Details Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10
- How to Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10
- How to Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows
- How to Reset Folder View Settings to Default in Windows 10