How to Change Default Shortcut Name Extension Template in Windows 7, 8, and 10
A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC.
When you right click or press and hold on a file, folder, or drive and click tap on either Create shortcut or Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut), a shortcut to that file, folder or drive will be created with the - Shortcut extension at the end of the filename by default.
This tutorial will show you how to change the shortcut name extension template to what you want for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
This will only affect shortcuts that you create afterwards, and will not affect shortcuts that already have the - Shortcut file name extension.
EXAMPLE: Shortcut name extension template
1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter.
2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.
3. In Registry Editor, browse to the key at the location below. (see screenshot below)
If you do not have a NamingTemplates key (not there by default), then right click on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type NamingTemplates, and press Enter.
4. In the right pane of the NamingTemplates key, double click/tap on the ShortcutNameTemplate string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)
If you do not have a ShortcutNameTemplate
value (not there by default), then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the NamingTemplates
key, click/tap on New
, click/tap on String Value
, type ShortcutNameTemplate
, and press Enter.
To undo this custom shortcut name extension template, you would just need to delete the ShortcutNameTemplate
5. Type the value data below you want to use as the default shortcut extension name template, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
(To remove "- Shortcut" extension)
(For custom extension name)
"%s - Extension Name.lnk"
Substitute Extension Name in the value data above with the actual extension name you want instead.
For example: "%s - Link.lnk"
6. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.