How to Check for and Install System Updates on Xbox One
InformationThe Xbox One console features updatable software. This software includes the operating system as well as many system, game, and media apps for the Xbox One. During a system update, the software on your console is updated through a download-and-install process. The system software updates may sometimes update the systemís firmware, but this is not common for most updates.
System updates help improve your experience with the addition of new features as well as improvement of existing features. The updates will be downloaded from the Xbox Live service directly to your Xbox One and subsequently installed.
There are two types of system updates youíll see: available system updates and mandatory system updates.
For more details, see:
- Learn About System Updates on Xbox One
- Xbox One Operating System Versions and System Updates
- Xbox One Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool
This tutorial will show you how to manually check for and install system updates on Xbox One.
NoteIf you want to play or communicate on Xbox Live, you must have the latest console software.
New games might also require the update before you play them.
Kinect games might not play properly if your console software is not up to date.
1. Scroll left from the Home screen to open the guide, select Settings, and select All settings. (see screenshot below)
2. Select System on the left, and select Console info & updates. (see screenshot below)
3. Select Update console (if available). (see screenshot below)
NoteIf an update is available, the button will display Update Available.
If your console is already on the current release build, the button will be grayed out and will display No update available.
4. When ready to start updating, select Start update or press A on your Xbox One wireless controller. (see screenshot below)
5. Xbox One will now start updating. (see screenshot below)
6. When updating has finished, Xbox One will restart. (see screenshot below)
7. Xbox One will now apply the update. (see screenshot below)
8. You will now be returned to the Home screen.
9. If you check for updates again, you will notice the new OS version number. (see screenshot below)