Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

  1. Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,050
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-02-10 #30

    OK, after checking this it seems ADK for Win10 was released 28th of January. I cannot understand why I did not find it this weekend when searching.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 927
    Windows 8.1, 10
       2015-02-10 #31

    Kari said: View Post
    seems it's going to be a long day as I have to remake half of the video and the tutorial .
    Sorry about that...

    One thing I noticed in the video, is that you use the sysprep command with the /shutdown parameter.

    When I tried this at the weekend, using VirtualBox, in EFI mode, then it wouldn't let me press F12 to boot from a WinPE disk at the next startup and would always go back into Windows (which I didn't want).

    It did this a few times until I came up with this theory... I think this might be because Windows 8 onwards default to a 'fast startup' which means a shutdown doesn't do a full shutdown, but instead is doing a form of hibernate. So instead I shutdown myself after the sysprep using this command in the command prompt, which seemed to work better as it is a full shutdown.
    Code:
    shutdown /s /t 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,050
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-02-11 #32

    DavidY said: View Post
    One thing I noticed in the video, is that you use the sysprep command with the /shutdown parameter.

    When I tried this at the weekend, using VirtualBox, in EFI mode, then it wouldn't let me press F12 to boot from a WinPE disk at the next startup and would always go back into Windows (which I didn't want).

    It did this a few times until I came up with this theory... I think this might be because Windows 8 onwards default to a 'fast startup' which means a shutdown doesn't do a full shutdown, but instead is doing a form of hibernate. So instead I shutdown myself after the sysprep using this command in the command prompt, which seemed to work better as it is a full shutdown.
    Code:
    shutdown /s /t 10
    Thanks for letting me know that @David.

    I use Hyper-V virtual machines in making the tutorials, the procedure as described works on Hyper-V. I will give the tutorial a "facelift" today and add alternative Sysprep command for scenarios like yours where the vm cannot be booted with WinPE / recovery disk afterwards.

    In your case now before the tut has been updated, use the QUIT switch instead of SHUTDOWN:
    Code:
    %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /quit /unattend:X:\MyAnswerFile.xml
    This runs the Sysprep with your answer file but stays in Audit Mode desktop when done. Now shutdown or restart simply by pressing WIN+X to open Start system menu and select Shutdown or Restart.
    Name:  2015-02-11_06h39_00.png
Views: 1411
Size:  30.7 KB
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 927
    Windows 8.1, 10
       2015-02-11 #33

    Kari said: View Post
    Now shutdown or restart simply by pressing WIN+X to open Start system menu and select Shutdown or Restart.
    Name:  2015-02-11_06h39_00.png
Views: 1411
Size:  30.7 KB
    Thanks for that Kari,

    Unfortunately I won't get a chance to try it again for a couple of days, but I suspect that Win-X then Shutdown will have the same problem. Restart is probably OK , as it doesn't do a hybrid hibernate. Again this is just my theory rather than something I've tested properly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,050
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-02-11 #34

    DavidY said: View Post
    Unfortunately I won't get a chance to try it again for a couple of days, but I suspect that Win-X then Shutdown will have the same problem. Restart is probably OK , as it doesn't do a hybrid hibernate. Again this is just my theory rather than something I've tested properly.
    In any case, use the QUIT switch with Sysprep, then after it has finished you can use the shutdown -s -t 1, or if the WinPE or imaging boot disk is in drive, the shutdown -r -t 1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 805
    10 Pro Preview x64
       2015-02-11 #35

    DavidY said: View Post
    When I tried this at the weekend, using VirtualBox, in EFI mode, then it wouldn't let me press F12 to boot from a WinPE disk at the next startup and would always go back into Windows (which I didn't want).
    David, to boot from another disk in VirtualBox you can just shut down and add it to the top (by changing the SATA port numbers). For example I just did this this morning to use CentOS to delete junk left over from KB3001652 failed install that I couldn't delete using Windows. VirtualBox will boot the first thing it finds.

    Attachment 12386
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,050
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-02-11 #36

    @Adam, may I use your screenshot? I am currently working with getting the tut and video up to date trying to get it done today, a lot of work still to do. It would speed my process if I didn't have to install to me relatively unknown VirtualBox only to get screenshots.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 805
    10 Pro Preview x64
       2015-02-11 #37

    Kari said: View Post
    @Adam, may I use your screenshot? I am currently working with getting the tut and video up to date trying to get it done today, a lot of work still to do. It would speed my process if I didn't have to install to me relatively unknown VirtualBox only to get screenshots.
    Sure - of course. If you want some more let me know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,050
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-02-11 #38

    adamf said: View Post
    Kari said: View Post
    @Adam, may I use your screenshot? I am currently working with getting the tut and video up to date trying to get it done today, a lot of work still to do. It would speed my process if I didn't have to install to me relatively unknown VirtualBox only to get screenshots.
    Sure - of course. If you want some more let me know.
    If you could post screenshots of the whole process, how do you change the boot order on UEFI vm when it's shutdown, to boot from CD/DVD? I'll add text and arrows .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 805
    10 Pro Preview x64
       2015-02-11 #39

    @Kari - here you go.

    1. Create VM under VirtualBox like this..
    Attachment 12403

    2. Setting for storage are like this - boot from ISO.

    Attachment 12404

    3. Install Windows, download ADK, make PE ISO as per tutorial.
    4. Shutdown windows from inside the VM (same as normal).
    5. Select your VM (picture 1 above) and click on settings (yellow cog) and then storage tab.
    6. Right click on the icon of the CD (on the RHS of the picture below) and change the ISO from Windows install ISO to the PE ISO that you created
    Attachment 12405

    7. Start the VM and you boot into PE.
    Attachment 12402
    Last edited by adamf; 2015-02-11 at 09:10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Default User Profile - Customize in Windows 10
How to Customize Default User Profile for New Accounts in Windows 10 Default User Profile is stored in a hidden folder in main profile folder Users. When a new user is created, either when installing Windows or any time later, Windows uses this...
Tutorials
Customize the Windows 10 Log-On and Log-Off Screen
how Customize the Windows 10 Log-On and Log-Off Screen in Build 10240? i like a black color! :confused:
Customization
Sysprep fails - Windows 10 build 10162
Hello Guys I'm trying to sysprep a Windows 10 Enterprise build 10162 so that i can capture, but i'm getting some errors and hope you guys have some sort of solution. I've tried removing The upgrade key in HKLM system, but that didn't help. ...
Installation and Setup
Sysprep fails fatally Windows 10 10122
I've tried to go into AUDIT mode to change the User profiles over to a different HDD on 10122. I get a fatal sysprep error. All i've used is an answer file with User profiles set to I:\Users Program Data is not moved, copyprofile not set. Only...
Installation and Setup
NCC Group to audit OpenSSL for security holes
Read more: NCC Group to audit OpenSSL for security holes | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums