Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    South Australia
    Posts : 393
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       2014-12-25 #110

    Excellent tutorial! Worked first time exactly as explained!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,077
    Windows 10 Pro
       2014-12-25 #111

    Thanks Colin . Nice to know you finally got your ISO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2014
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts : 716
    Windows 10 Build 14267
       2015-01-19 #112

    ~edited~

    As far as I could see that app shown in the first post uses the same idea of this script.

    1) It extracts all the contents of the ESD file to a folder

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edstoiso-1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	392.6 KB 
ID:	10463

    2) It creates an ISO from the "ISO folder"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edstoiso-2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	412.5 KB 
ID:	10465

    3) Now I have JM1_CPRA_X64FRER_EN-US_DV9.iso ready for a fresh install...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edstoiso-3.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	10466

    Source script: decrypt.zip

    Credits: qad, abbodi1406, murphy78 - ESD decrypter/script work

    Nice !

    Last edited by Vladimir; 2015-01-19 at 19:48.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,077
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-01-19 #113

    Vladimir said: View Post
    As far as I could see that app shown in the first post is a GUI for this script.
    ...
    ...
    Credits: qad, abbodi1406, murphy78 - ESD decrypter/script work

    Nice !

    I am not sure what your point is. If it is to imply that I have taken credits of the work of someone else, check the tutorial and this whole thread once again.

    To start, this note is to see at the very beginning of the tutorial:

    information   Information
    Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, I have just edited the script to remove unnecessary code and corrected some errors and finally made these step by step instructions.


    A further explanation can be found in post #43:

    Kari said: View Post
    strollin said: View Post
    Hats off to everyone involved in making this available.
    Just for the records, this is how tutorials are often made .

    As is quite common with tutorials, the method told in this one is absolutely not invented nor found out by me. I got the original script from a friend in May when trying to find a way to create 8.1 install ISO from the ESD file and was getting frustrated when I did not find the right arguments and parameters to use with DISM to do it. Got the script as email attachment, the original script has none whatsoever information about the author. I only found out the original author after reading this post today. Thanks for that info!

    I forgot the whole script until I stumbled upon this thread of fellow geek topgundcp ​yesterday. I thought that I have that script, edited and shortened for just creating the ISO, tested it with Build 9860 and it worked. Made the tutorial crediting topgundcp, not crediting the author of the original script because I did not know who had made it but making it clear that the tool is based on another script from another author.

    Somehow I feel now I need to make this absolutely clear: I did not try to take credits for the idea nor the original esd-decrypter-v3 script. Credits where they belong.

    Kari
    (I've highlighted the important parts in above quote.)

    In my opinion I have done everything possible to make it clear that the batch file my edited and simplified tool is based on is not my creation, how I found it, and why I had not credited the original author (batch file or the ZIP packet containing it has none whatsoever information about the author).

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2014
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts : 716
    Windows 10 Build 14267
       2015-01-19 #114

    Kari said: View Post

    I am not sure what your point is. If it is to imply that I have taken credits of the work of someone else, check the tutorial and this whole thread once again.

    To start, this note is to see at the very beginning of the tutorial:

    information   Information
    Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, I have just edited the script to remove unnecessary code and corrected some errors and finally made these step by step instructions.


    A further explanation can be found in post #43:

    Kari said: View Post
    strollin said: View Post
    Hats off to everyone involved in making this available.
    Just for the records, this is how tutorials are often made .

    As is quite common with tutorials, the method told in this one is absolutely not invented nor found out by me. I got the original script from a friend in May when trying to find a way to create 8.1 install ISO from the ESD file and was getting frustrated when I did not find the right arguments and parameters to use with DISM to do it. Got the script as email attachment, the original script has none whatsoever information about the author. I only found out the original author after reading this post today. Thanks for that info!

    I forgot the whole script until I stumbled upon this thread of fellow geek topgundcp ​yesterday. I thought that I have that script, edited and shortened for just creating the ISO, tested it with Build 9860 and it worked. Made the tutorial crediting topgundcp, not crediting the author of the original script because I did not know who had made it but making it clear that the tool is based on another script from another author.

    Somehow I feel now I need to make this absolutely clear: I did not try to take credits for the idea nor the original esd-decrypter-v3 script. Credits where they belong.

    Kari
    (I've highlighted the important parts in above quote.)

    In my opinion I have done everything possible to make it clear that the batch file my edited and simplified tool is based on is not my creation, how I found it, and why I had not credited the original author (batch file or the ZIP packet containing it has none whatsoever information about the author).

    Kari
    You didn't get my point. I'm just saying that the idea is the same !

    ~edit~

    I corrected my words in previous post to make it clear !

    Last edited by Vladimir; 2015-01-19 at 19:51.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,077
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-01-19 #115

    Thanks for explaining that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    2015-01-29 #116

    Kari said: View Post
    Note   Note
    Although the below results and conclusions are by far not absolute facts but simply results of my testing, I am convinced they are valid and true conclusions. I have tested each and every installation scenario listed below at least twice on a physical machine and twice on a virtual machine and can reproduce each test result on physical and / or virtual machines.

    The below is simply my opinion, facts as I believe them to be at the moment. You are welcome to show any errors in them and post your findings.


    The reason why some users do not get the install.esd file it being replaced by install.wim is now quite clear: if Windows 8.1 has been in-place upgraded to Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9841, or if a cleanly installed Build 9841 has been repair installed (an in-place upgrade to same version and edition), Windows uses the old WIM file format to deliver upgrade to Build 9860.

    Notice that adding the Windows Media Center to Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9841 causes the internal version information to be changed to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. Due this, before upgrading to build 9860 the build 9841 must be repair installed, thus causing the build upgrade being in WIM format instead of ESD even if the original build 9841 was installed clean.

    By default only a cleanly installed Build 9841 which has never been repair installed uses the new ESD file format for upgrade. We need to "distract" Windows to make it think it's all new and fresh, never been upgraded .

    To do this and get the upgrade in ESD format and about 30% smaller download on a Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 TP upgraded system, or on a Windows 10 TP system which has had at least one repair install, do the following before starting the upgrade build download from PC Settings > Update and recovery > Preview builds:

    1.) Close all open applications, open Explorer, delete the following folders:

    • C:\RecoveryImage
    • C:\$Windows.~BT (system folder, UAC asks your permission, click OK to accept deletion)
      • This is a hidden folder, be sure to enable showing Hidden Items, otherwise you won't see it and might forget to delete it

    2.) Delete the file C:\$UPG$PBR.MARKER (system file, UAC asks your permission, click OK to accept deletion), close the Explorer.

    3.) Open the Registry Editor (WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter), browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

    4.) Delete both the DWORD Upgrade (right pane) and KEY Upgrade (left pane), see screenshot. The system warns you that skies can fall down if you delete these items, just laugh loud and accept the deletion:5.) Still in Registry Editor, browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus, if either DWORD CleanupState or DWORD GeneralizationState has any other value than 7, change it to 7 by double clicking the DWORD in question and entering the new value:6.) Close the Registry Editor

    7.) Go to PC Settings > Update and recovery > Preview builds and start downloading the new build. When downloaded click Install. Be patient, it takes some time and worst part is there's no indicator to show how it's proceeding. In my tests now for instance after first reboot while installing the new build, I had 20 to 26 minutes (depending on if vm or real machine) a totally black screen with nothing on it, no pointer or indicator before next reboot.

    That's it. The above process (steps 1 to 6) takes no longer than a minute or two, when I timed it I did the whole process in well under one minute. You can then upgrade to new build and create a bootable ISO as told in this tutorial for further installations.

    Note   Note
    To be prepared for the next build upgrade you might want to delete the file DONOTREPLACE.txt in C:\RecoveryImage. If the file is present when upgraded to next build the install.esd file will not be replaced with the new one. Windows will be upgrade but the esd file will remain build 9860.

    Kari
    Is the note above about removing the "do not replace.txt" the reason I could not create an iso file on the last build either?.
    On this latest build I have just let windows do the upgrade. I have tried to make an ISO from the ESD and had the same problems as last time (I end with install.esd.bak) and no ISO file made.

    Its not a big problem for me I still have all my apps and games with the upgrade. I just thought I was doing something wrong when following the procedure at the begining of this thread. It worked great for my first new build Upgrade.
    Best regards Topper.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,077
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-01-29 #117

    toppergraph said: View Post
    Is the note above about removing the "do not replace.txt" the reason I could not create an iso file on the last build either?.
    On this latest build I have just let windows do the upgrade. I have tried to make an ISO from the ESD and had the same problems as last time (I end with install.esd.bak) and no ISO file made.

    Its not a big problem for me I still have all my apps and games with the upgrade. I just thought I was doing something wrong when following the procedure at the begining of this thread. It worked great for my first new build Upgrade.
    Best regards Topper.
    I am not sure if that's a problem, you should be able to create the ISO in any case. Anyway, this process is no longer needed as you can download the latest (at the moment Build 9926) ISO file directly from Microsoft in 25 languages: Download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    2015-01-29 #118

    Kari said: View Post
    toppergraph said: View Post
    Is the note above about removing the "do not replace.txt" the reason I could not create an iso file on the last build either?.
    On this latest build I have just let windows do the upgrade. I have tried to make an ISO from the ESD and had the same problems as last time (I end with install.esd.bak) and no ISO file made.

    Its not a big problem for me I still have all my apps and games with the upgrade. I just thought I was doing something wrong when following the procedure at the begining of this thread. It worked great for my first new build Upgrade.
    Best regards Topper.
    I am not sure if that's a problem, you should be able to create the ISO in any case. Anyway, this process is no longer needed as you can download the latest (at the moment Build 9926) ISO file directly from Microsoft in 25 languages: Download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows

    Kari
    As I thought, that is what I had to do for the last Build. I shall download as suggested just for my Clean Install dvd`s Library and continue just upgrading from now on. As I said I just thought it was me being Thick.
    Thanks for reply: Topper.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 323
    Windows 10x64 14965
       2015-02-23 #119

    Created an .iso from an 8.1 .esd file without a problem with your script, but I'm attempting to change the label on the disk and can't do it. I've tried it several different ways with administrative privileges and it still says I lack the necessary authority to do it. Not a big deal but I'm just really puzzled why.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Bootable File Manager?
Hello, is there any bootable file manager out there because I want to do the following things before installing Windows. 1. Format my C:\ drive with Windows 7.1 2. Move contents from my F:\ drive to C:\ 3. Install Windows 10 of F:\ This is...
General Support
System Information File - Create in Windows 10
How to Create a System Information File in Windows 10 MSINFO contains in depth pertinent information about your system and is often used by Seven Forums members when helping users solve issues, especially during debugging BSOD crash...
Tutorials
Solved An Alternative to Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 install.esd File
Here's an alternative in addition to Kari's Tutorial: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8SCzhbycA NOTE: It is better to create an ISO contaning install.wim so if you...
Installation and Setup
Solved USB Download Tool won't create bootable USB using 9926 .ISO
I just wondered if anyone had had any issues creating a bootable USB using the Download Tool with the 9926 .iso? I've tried multiple times now but it just gets stuck at 94% and I end up having to close the program down via Task Manager. Someone I...
Installation and Setup
New - Rufus v2.0.639 - Create bootable USB drives
Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums