Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

  1. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 & Windows 7 & macOS Sierra (Hackintosh)
       2016-09-16 #780

    Hey, hi all
    Have read almost all the replies and didn't find someone with a problem like mine.

    I've used this method 3 times now (last was 5 days ago) and in each I found a bug and don't know what could be.
    The bug is, it's not a big deal but... I'll like to get it fixed in some way, that some folders appear in english (my install is in Spanish (MX) 'cause now Cortana supports it ) and is only when I follow this tutorial, if I do a clean normal install all seems fine (just the one that at the C: drive instead of "Archivos de programa" it shows as "Program Files"
    Name:  Captura.PNG
Views: 400
Size:  4.0 KB

    The bug that annoys me:
    Name:  2016-09-15.png
Views: 399
Size:  27.9 KB Name:  2016-09-15 (1).png
Views: 401
Size:  7.5 KB

    As I said, it's not a big deal, if you know how to fix it, let me know, please. Also, great tutorial and you seem to be a really nice Admin 'cause all the time you spend answering peoples questions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 59
    Windows 10
       2016-09-16 #781

    nesmeck said: View Post
    Hey, hi all
    Have read almost all the replies and didn't find someone with a problem like mine.

    I've used this method 3 times now (last was 5 days ago) and in each I found a bug and don't know what could be.
    The bug is, it's not a big deal but... I'll like to get it fixed in some way, that some folders appear in english (my install is in Spanish (MX) 'cause now Cortana supports it ) and is only when I follow this tutorial, if I do a clean normal install all seems fine (just the one that at the C: drive instead of "Archivos de programa" it shows as "Program Files"
    Name:  Captura.PNG
Views: 400
Size:  4.0 KB

    The bug that annoys me:
    Name:  2016-09-15.png
Views: 399
Size:  27.9 KB Name:  2016-09-15 (1).png
Views: 401
Size:  7.5 KB

    As I said, it's not a big deal, if you know how to fix it, let me know, please. Also, great tutorial and you seem to be a really nice Admin 'cause all the time you spend answering peoples questions.
    few post before yours...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 & Windows 7 & macOS Sierra (Hackintosh)
       2016-09-16 #782

    pietro said: View Post
    few post before yours...
    Yeah, i found it
    Well, I'll wait then...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       2016-09-22 #783

    When moving the User's personal folders

    • Documents
    • Favourites
    • Music
    • Pictures
    • Searches

    It still shoes them in the User's home directory correct? It is just that the files are stored elsewhere? Is there a way to completely remove the folders entirely? For example. I will never use the default ~/Music directory.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 13
    W10
       2016-09-26 #784

    Hello again Kari,
    I have used your relocation of user folders technique on both Win7 and Win10 with much success. Yesterday however, I ran into the first time that I think having my users folders on a separate physical drive may have caused a problem.
    I am using a software tool called MCEBuddy to rename and compress recorded TV shows. Recently I upgraded this software, which requires the user to uninstall the previous installation. The software is supposed to automatically write backup files to the user's home directory upon uninstall so that when s/he installs the new version it can find and apply all the previous settings. This useful feature did not work for me, as described in this discussion with the developer of MCEBuddy:
    MCEBuddy 2.x - updated - lost settings
    Can you think of a reason associated with relocating the user directory that might have caused this failure? Does maybe the %HOMEPATH% system variable point in the wrong place or something?
    Thanks for any thoughts or tips on this situation.
    Kieran
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 59
    Windows 10
       2016-09-27 #785

    pietro said: View Post
    bug advice for anniversary update. downloaded the iso for my Language, italian. clean install and relocate. the start menu have some voices in english, so few folders (ie: users\public). installing w10 without relocating it is all in italian...
    downloaded english iso, anniversary update. bug present too. strange no one noticed the problem.

    (
    i'm using w10 pro 64bit and the command

    c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep /oobe /reboot /unattend:<herepathtoxmlfile>
    )

    edit: to be more accurate about the english version. names are all in english but... in the start menu few items change position and public subfolders change name
    Last edited by pietro; 2016-09-28 at 08:12.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,054
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-09-28 #786

    Note   Note
    Due resons related to my real life, mostly my neurological health issues, I have been quite inactive in this thread during the past weeks.

    Everything is looking better now and I am able to "get back in the saddle" , I will go through all unanswered posts within next 48 hours and will from now on reply to your posts faster.

    My apologies for delay and all inconvenience it has caused.

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 13
    W10
       2016-09-28 #787

    Kari said: View Post
    Note   Note
    Due resons related to my real life, mostly my neurological health issues, I have been quite inactive in this thread during the past weeks.

    Everything is looking better now and I am able to "get back in the saddle" , I will go through all unanswered posts within next 48 hours and will from now on reply to your posts faster.

    My apologies for delay and all inconvenience it has caused.

    Kari
    Wow! Thanks for the note, Kari, and here's to your full & quick recovery. Glad you're back and on the mend.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       2016-10-03 #788

    Great tutorial - thought I would share my hair raising issue


    Great tutorial - Thanks.

    I came across a huge problem (possibly self inflicted) on my system which I resolved but I thought I'd share in case anyone else needed to avoid a small heart attack.

    So I followed the instructions as listed,

    First Heart Attack.

    My Users folder was in the region of 40gb in size on a 120gb (compressed) SSD, hence why I needed to make this change. Be prepared to wait, mine took over 2 hours once the windows loading screen came on, to complete the transfer. I'm assuming the system makes a lot of changes during the moving of the Users folder.

    During this period the HDD light was always active but there were a few moments that I thought something had gone drastically wrong. Luckily the Ryder Cup was on which therefore reduced the temptation to terminate the process, which would undoubtedly have been catastrophic.

    The Lesson - Be patient and don't panic if the HDD light is still active.

    Second Heart Attack
    So I returned after the humiliation of the Ryder Cup defeat (what a great Ryder Cup though) expecting to see the same stupid revolving windows icon, but to my surprise I was graced with a windows setup screen, PHEW!

    So I raced through the settings and I can't remember at any point a section for adding a new user. However was possibly an oversight on my own part in the rush to get done. Anyway, the system restarted and I was faced with a login screen with no users on it, my poor heart once again began to strain as I tried to log in as an administrator / old account / made up account, as none of these worked began entering the emergency response number into my mobile phone in preparation of the inevitable cardiac arrest.

    Instead of panicking further I retired to bed and decided to tackle the problem in the morning.

    Wakey Wakey
    So I'm up, sorting the kids for school, my heart can't take much more, and I realise that getting into safe mode would surely be the way forward but I've never seen the option to get into safe mode in Windows 10 unless actually logged in. I've tapped F8 F5, all of them to no avail.

    Introducing Google....

    Search - 'disabled a windows 10 user account. I'm locked out'

    found this
    https://appuals.com/account-has-been-disabled-please-see-your-system-administrator/

    The folks at Microsoft know just how much of a goof the average Windows 10 user can be, which is why all copies of Windows 10 have a hidden account named Administrator that has administrative privileges. In the event that something happens to your primary Windows 10 account, you can lean on this hidden Administrator account and create a new account with administrative privileges for yourself using this account. The hidden Administrator account is only accessible when a computer is in safe mode.
    At the sign-in screen, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and click on the Power button located at the bottom of the screen. From the menu that pops up, click on Restart, all while holding down the Shift.

    Only let go of the Shift key when the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears.
    In the Advanced Recovery Options menu, click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings > Restart. When your computer restarts and you are greeted with a blue screen with a horde of different options, press the numerical key on your keyboard that corresponds with the Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt

    When your computer boots up, you will be able to see the hidden Administrator Log into it.
    Open the Start Menu, type cmd into the Search bar and click on the search result titled cmd to open a Command Prompt.

    Once you are in here, all becomes easy. Don't follow the rest of the instructions on the link as the are for a different purpose but instead directly activate your accounts you previously deactivated;

    net user <accountname> /active:yes

    Do this for each one and then simply close the cmd box and the system should restart.

    On restart everything works perfectly and the user folder is in the new location.

    If this saves a single person from the nightmare of thinking you could have lost all your work, pictures, porn (joking) etc then I'm glad to help. If it doesn't help anybody then take this as me celebrating my my newly found low blood pressure.

    Heart Attacks Over
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 83
    Win 7 Ultimate
       2016-10-05 #789

    leonfinch said: View Post
    Great tutorial - Thanks.

    I came across a huge problem (possibly self inflicted) on my system which I resolved but I thought I'd share in case anyone else needed to avoid a small heart attack.

    So I followed the instructions as listed,

    First Heart Attack.

    My Users folder was in the region of 40gb in size on a 120gb (compressed) SSD, hence why I needed to make this change. Be prepared to wait, mine took over 2 hours once the windows loading screen came on, to complete the transfer. I'm assuming the system makes a lot of changes during the moving of the Users folder.

    During this period the HDD light was always active but there were a few moments that I thought something had gone drastically wrong. Luckily the Ryder Cup was on which therefore reduced the temptation to terminate the process, which would undoubtedly have been catastrophic.

    The Lesson - Be patient and don't panic if the HDD light is still active.

    Second Heart Attack
    So I returned after the humiliation of the Ryder Cup defeat (what a great Ryder Cup though) expecting to see the same stupid revolving windows icon, but to my surprise I was graced with a windows setup screen, PHEW!

    So I raced through the settings and I can't remember at any point a section for adding a new user. However was possibly an oversight on my own part in the rush to get done. Anyway, the system restarted and I was faced with a login screen with no users on it, my poor heart once again began to strain as I tried to log in as an administrator / old account / made up account, as none of these worked began entering the emergency response number into my mobile phone in preparation of the inevitable cardiac arrest.

    Instead of panicking further I retired to bed and decided to tackle the problem in the morning.

    Wakey Wakey
    So I'm up, sorting the kids for school, my heart can't take much more, and I realise that getting into safe mode would surely be the way forward but I've never seen the option to get into safe mode in Windows 10 unless actually logged in. I've tapped F8 F5, all of them to no avail.

    Introducing Google....

    Search - 'disabled a windows 10 user account. I'm locked out'

    found this
    https://appuals.com/account-has-been-disabled-please-see-your-system-administrator/

    The folks at Microsoft know just how much of a goof the average Windows 10 user can be, which is why all copies of Windows 10 have a hidden account named Administrator that has administrative privileges. In the event that something happens to your primary Windows 10 account, you can lean on this hidden Administrator account and create a new account with administrative privileges for yourself using this account. The hidden Administrator account is only accessible when a computer is in safe mode.
    At the sign-in screen, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and click on the Power button located at the bottom of the screen. From the menu that pops up, click on Restart, all while holding down the Shift.

    Only let go of the Shift key when the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears.
    In the Advanced Recovery Options menu, click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings > Restart. When your computer restarts and you are greeted with a blue screen with a horde of different options, press the numerical key on your keyboard that corresponds with the Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt

    When your computer boots up, you will be able to see the hidden Administrator Log into it.
    Open the Start Menu, type cmd into the Search bar and click on the search result titled cmd to open a Command Prompt.

    Once you are in here, all becomes easy. Don't follow the rest of the instructions on the link as the are for a different purpose but instead directly activate your accounts you previously deactivated;

    net user <accountname> /active:yes

    Do this for each one and then simply close the cmd box and the system should restart.

    On restart everything works perfectly and the user folder is in the new location.

    If this saves a single person from the nightmare of thinking you could have lost all your work, pictures, porn (joking) etc then I'm glad to help. If it doesn't help anybody then take this as me celebrating my my newly found low blood pressure.

    Heart Attacks Over
    Good post. Very informative.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 79 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
"Folder access denied" C:\Users\<truncated name>\One Drive
Unable to delete folder, unable to change permissions, and unable to get One Drive to read to Documents folder correctly. I have attempted five times and each time it fails. So I try to delete the One Drive folder so I can reboot and try again,...
General Support
Solved Cannot move documents folder
I am trying to move my documents folder from the external drive I put it on before installing Win10. It looks like its going to move, then says its done but nothing has moved. Any ideas?
General Support
More Users Move to Windows XP Ahead of Windows 10 Launch
Source
Windows 10 News
Solved Startup Folder Location
Exactly where is the Startup Folder for Windows 10 located? Thank you.
General Support
Solved Linking to Users folder on different drive
Hello, Has anyone had any trouble linking the C:\users folder on another machine? I have successfully done this all the last 3 installs of windows I have done following these instructions: How To Change User Profile Location in Windows 8 without...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums