Page 58 of 86 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       2016-05-25 #570

    The only reason I changed it was because they weren't working.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 1
    Win10 64bit
       2016-05-27 #571

    New Alienware laptop, clean install on Windows 10 64bit (Home)


    Dear Kari

    I'm so glad I've found this website. Thank you for taking the time to prepare this tutorial. I have a brand new Dell Alienware Laptop arriving next week, and want all my user data on Drive D:.

    I know the processors "amd64", and I know the location I want the User data to be located D:\Users.

    The only issue I have is I'm not sure where the "install.wim" will be located, as Windows is pre-installed but not set-up (registered).

    Regards

    ANDREW
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       2016-05-30 #572

    Accounts and permissions


    Dear Kari,

    I'm the same user (danielari) with a new name (danielbcn). Somehow, I could not log back into tenforums so I had to register again. I wanted to ask your help with a problem I run into while starting to follow the tutorial. I did the first step re: changing the user. Then I stopped. I wanted to get the laptop from a friend to be able to continue with the tutorial on video. But... meanwhile I noticed that Windows was not letting me do certain things I always did. It was telling me that I needed admin permissions. Then I guess I did something stupid. I went and gave myself those permissions following some online instructions. And I don't remember if I changed the permissions for Admin or for Daniel. Anyways... whatever stupidity I did, now, whenever I reboot, Windows 10 takes about an hour to start. I get that blue screen with the spinning circle. And when Win 10 starts, I lose some info, like, for example, Gmail does not remember my accounts, etc. I searched the Web and it seems that this waiting one hour for Windows to start is due to some problem with accounts and permissions. And I don't want to experiment any more out of fear of losing all admin rights to my own computer.

    Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

    Thanks a lot in advance,

    Daniel



    Kari said: View Post
    Sysprep (Windows System Preparation Tool) is the native built-in Windows tool that does the job in this procedure, getting instructions about what it is expected to do from a script called Answer File.




    If you have external storage available for backing up your personal data, the easiest way is to copy your files to external storage.

    I edited my previous post, making the list in it numbered. Check that list: In step 1 you can copy your files to external storage instead of making a new partition on your hard disk. In step 7 you can either remove all partitions and create new ones or simply format existing partitions and use them. In step 9 you can copy your personal data from external storage to your new user folders. You can then forget the step 10.



    These tutorials are from our sister site the Seven Forums but they apply to Windows 10, too:

    Kari
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,081
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-05-30 #573

    danielbcn said: View Post
    I did the first step re: changing the user. Then I stopped. I wanted to get the laptop from a friend to be able to continue with the tutorial on video. But... meanwhile I noticed that Windows was not letting me do certain things I always did. It was telling me that I needed admin permissions. Then I guess I did something stupid. I went and gave myself those permissions following some online instructions. And I don't remember if I changed the permissions for Admin or for Daniel. Anyways... whatever stupidity I did, now, whenever I reboot, Windows 10 takes about an hour to start. I get that blue screen with the spinning circle. And when Win 10 starts, I lose some info, like, for example, Gmail does not remember my accounts, etc. I searched the Web and it seems that this waiting one hour for Windows to start is due to some problem with accounts and permissions. And I don't want to experiment any more out of fear of losing all admin rights to my own computer.

    Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!
    I read your post quoted above a few times and in all honesty I must say I don't understand it. I have not a faintest clue what you have tried to do, how and which permissions you have changed and so on.

    This procedure does in no circumstances cause Windows to need an hour to boot. Nor does it cause you to lose any info.

    Please explain as detailed as you can what you did, from start to finish.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       2016-05-30 #574

    Hi Kari,

    My apologies for explaining myself so badly. I'll try it again.

    (Please note that I'm not implying that your tutorial is the culprit of the problem I have. All the opposite, I created the problem myself.)

    One of the first steps in your tutorial is to Activate admin account > Sign out from my own account > Sign in to admin account > Deactivate all current user accounts. That's what I did (I cannot guarantee I didn't make any mistake).

    At this point, I stoped following the video because I thought it would be better to get a laptop from a friend and follow the video there (as I would not have access to the video in the same PC while rebooting or doing some necessary tasks).

    Took me a couple of days to get the laptop. BUT, before I got it, I noticed that Windows would not let me do some normal tasks (for example, deleting or renaming some files) because it understood I had no Admin rights. Then I looked all over the Web and found an explanation about how to get those rights. I went to the Rights window for the Daniel account and clicked the necessary boxes to grant myself admin rights. I don't remember where I did that. Anyways.. the thing is that since I did that, Windows takes a life time to reboot, some times an hour. And I have seen the same problem reported by oter people in the Internet. Apparently, it is related to the accounts and the permisions.

    So my question is:

    Is there a way to reset those accounts? Should I delete them and create them again? Will I still have admin rights? And how to do it. Right now I only have two users: Admin (the default one) and Daniel. I only want to reset premissions for my Daniel account. That's all. I think I did something wrong with my permissions and this is giving a burden to Windows when I reboot.

    Or do I have to go through the repair Windows process?

    I hope this explanation makes more sense.

    Thanks a lot,

    Daniel




    Kari said: View Post
    I read your post quoted above a few times and in all honesty I must say I don't understand it. I have not a faintest clue what you have tried to do, how and which permissions you have changed and so on.

    This procedure does in no circumstances cause Windows to need an hour to boot. Nor does it cause you to lose any info.

    Please explain as detailed as you can what you did, from start to finish.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Feb 2015
    3rd Rock
    Posts : 137
    Windows 10 Digital Entitlement
       2016-05-30 #575

    Clean installed IP build 14352 over the weekend. Some screen shots are a bit different, and it added an extra reboot after installation, during which it was setting up devices, but other than that, everything seems like it went flawlessly, as usual
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,081
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-05-30 #576

    danielbcn said: View Post
    One of the first steps in your tutorial is to Activate admin account > Sign out from my own account > Sign in to admin account > Deactivate all current user accounts. That's what I did (I cannot guarantee I didn't make any mistake).

    At this point, I stoped following the video because I thought it would be better to get a laptop from a friend and follow the video there (as I would not have access to the video in the same PC while rebooting or doing some necessary tasks).

    Took me a couple of days to get the laptop. BUT, before I got it, I noticed that Windows would not let me do some normal tasks (for example, deleting or renaming some files) because it understood I had no Admin rights. Then I looked all over the Web and found an explanation about how to get those rights. I went to the Rights window for the Daniel account and clicked the necessary boxes to grant myself admin rights. I don't remember where I did that. Anyways.. the thing is that since I did that, Windows takes a life time to reboot, some times an hour. And I have seen the same problem reported by oter people in the Internet. Apparently, it is related to the accounts and the permisions.
    First, I think you are confusing admin rights and permissions, they are two totally different things.

    I hope I got you correctly now. You started to watch the video about Method Two, following the instructions, and then interrupted the process after disabling all user accounts except the built-in admin.

    My advice is to simply reinstall Windows, if you don't have a system image to restore. It seems that your system is quite badly messed up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       2016-05-30 #577

    Yes, you understood well.

    Really? There is no other treatment other than surgery?

    Daniel


    Kari said: View Post
    First, I think you are confusing admin rights and permissions, they are two totally different things.

    I hope I got you correctly now. You started to watch the video about Method Two, following the instructions, and then interrupted the process after disabling all user accounts except the built-in admin.

    My advice is to simply reinstall Windows, if you don't have a system image to restore. It seems that your system is quite badly messed up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,081
    Windows 10 Pro
       2016-05-30 #578

    If you still have access to your local admin account, you could try this at your own risk:
    • Backup all personal content from your own account to an external storage
    • Disable all accounts except built-in admin
    • Sign in to built-in admin
    • Delete / remove all user account (except of course the built-in admin!)
    • Reboot
    • Again, sign in to built-in admin which is now the only user existing
    • Create a new user account for yourself, make it an admin account
    • Sign out from built-in admin
    • Sign in to your new account
    • Run repair install to fix Windows
    • Restore your backed up personal data to your new account

    The above can only be recommended if you have a huge amount of installed software that you'd rather not reinstall.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Apr 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       2016-05-30 #579

    Thank you very much, Kari. Highly appreciated! You are like the Windows fairy!

    Daniel

    Kari said: View Post
    If you still have access to your local admin account, you could try this at your own risk:
    • Backup all personal content from your own account to an external storage
    • Disable all accounts except built-in admin
    • Sign in to built-in admin
    • Delete / remove all user account (except of course the built-in admin!)
    • Reboot
    • Again, sign in to built-in admin which is now the only user existing
    • Create a new user account for yourself, make it an admin account
    • Sign out from built-in admin
    • Sign in to your new account
    • Run repair install to fix Windows
    • Restore your backed up personal data to your new account

    The above can only be recommended if you have a huge amount of installed software that you'd rather not reinstall.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 58 of 86 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
"Folder access denied" C:\Users\<truncated name>\One Drive
Unable to delete folder, unable to change permissions, and unable to get One Drive to read to Documents folder correctly. I have attempted five times and each time it fails. So I try to delete the One Drive folder so I can reboot and try again,...
General Support
Solved Cannot move documents folder
I am trying to move my documents folder from the external drive I put it on before installing Win10. It looks like its going to move, then says its done but nothing has moved. Any ideas?
General Support
More Users Move to Windows XP Ahead of Windows 10 Launch
Source
Windows 10 News
Solved Startup Folder Location
Exactly where is the Startup Folder for Windows 10 located? Thank you.
General Support
Solved Linking to Users folder on different drive
Hello, Has anyone had any trouble linking the C:\users folder on another machine? I have successfully done this all the last 3 installs of windows I have done following these instructions: How To Change User Profile Location in Windows 8 without...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:09.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums