Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

  1. Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,448
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14971
       2015-11-16 #130

    cypherinfo said: View Post
    Great article; as explained here this is not for: "... You will only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10. You will not be able to do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode ..."
    I wonder how to do the same when it is not possible to boot? Thank you.
    Best,
    Hello Cypherinfo,

    I'm afraid that you will not be able to do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode since a repair install is an inplace upgrade.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Jul 2015
    SC
    Posts : 99
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-11-20 #131

    tazmo8448 said: View Post
    I am unable to use any version of W10 .iso.
    I chose the W10 Pro x64 which is what I upgraded to from W7 Pro back in August.
    Any ideas?
    Found out it was the boot partition it was too small (100mb) increased the size by 850mb (thinking bigger than 450 must be better) and bingo the usb bootable W10 image reinstalled the OS or 'refreshed' it as they say these days.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,448
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14971
       2015-11-20 #132

    tazmo8448 said: View Post
    Found out it was the boot partition it was too small (100mb) increased the size by 850mb (thinking bigger than 450 must be better) and bingo the usb bootable W10 image reinstalled the OS or 'refreshed' it as they say these days.
    It makes you wonder why it was so small.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Jul 2015
    SC
    Posts : 99
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-11-20 #133

    Brink said: View Post
    It makes you wonder why it was so small.
    probably a holdover from the W7 upgrade to W10...spent hrs on the phone with MS for another computer and pretty sure thats what was holding up the upgrade on that one too as it was a W7 OS boot partition. its a snap now 'refreshing' the OS no need for a system image really as it saved all my programs and files. thanks you guys and you Brink for always responding...good job TenForums.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,448
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14971
       2015-11-20 #134

    Ah, yeah that could be.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 806
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       2015-11-21 #135

    You can probably update the guide later... As Microsoft appears to have pulled the November TH2 build 10586 update from both MCT and Techbench, all the .iso will be 10240. 10586 will only be delivered by Windows Updates so what would happen if one already had 10586.x installed on the system and they wanted to do a in-place repair upgrade with the 10240 ISO either via MCT or TechBench, unless the updates it downloads as part of the install includes 10586 which will actually be long depending on the speed of the internet connection, they will be SOL since I don't think you can do a repair install by replacing it with a lower build number, 10240 fixing 10586 in this case.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,448
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14971
       2015-11-21 #136

    Hello Almighty1,

    That's correct. The ISO will need to be the same language, architecture, edition, and build as what you currently have installed, or it could fail.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts : 469
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-11-21 #137

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    You can probably update the guide later... As Microsoft appears to have pulled the November TH2 build 10586 update from both MCT and Techbench, all the .iso will be 10240. 10586 will only be delivered by Windows Updates so what would happen if one already had 10586.x installed on the system and they wanted to do a in-place repair upgrade with the 10240 ISO either via MCT or TechBench, unless the updates it downloads as part of the install includes 10586 which will actually be long depending on the speed of the internet connection, they will be SOL since I don't think you can do a repair install by replacing it with a lower build number, 10240 fixing 10586 in this case.
    Windows Update won't deliver the Fall Update to users who have upgraded to Windows 10 in the last 31 days. That's a rolling date, of course.

    You can do a repair install with a lower build number and keep files, but not a lower version number. Builds within the same version do work, however. That is how repair install has always worked. With earlier versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) it was usually the case that the copy of Windows on the hard drive had a higher build number (because of updates) than the build number on the Windows disk used to perform the repair install. But if the Service Pack number was higher on the hard drive than the Windows disk, a repair install was blocked.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 806
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       2015-11-21 #138

    Cbarnhorst said: View Post
    Windows Update won't deliver the Fall Update to users who have upgraded to Windows 10 in the last 31 days. That's a rolling date, of course.

    You can do a repair install with a lower build number and keep files, but not a lower version number. Builds within the same version do work, however. That is how repair install has always worked. With earlier versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) it was usually the case that the copy of Windows on the hard drive had a higher build number (because of updates) than the build number on the Windows disk used to perform the repair install. But if the Service Pack number was higher on the hard drive than the Windows disk, a repair install was blocked.
    Yes, but if you're doing a in-place upgrade repair install, then it is supposed to have the option to download all updates as part of the install so hopefully in this case it does that, but still, the TH2 update itself is 3GB-4GB in size and that in-place upgrade install will take a long time just to download the updates alone if the Internet connection is slow, I have 6Mbps so it will take a few hours just for that alone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Aug 2015
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts : 469
    Windows 10 Pro
       2015-11-21 #139

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    Yes, but if you're doing a in-place upgrade repair install, then it is supposed to have the option to download all updates as part of the install so hopefully in this case it does that, but still, the TH2 update itself is 3GB-4GB in size and that in-place upgrade install will take a long time just to download the updates alone if the Internet connection is slow, I have 6Mbps so it will take a few hours just for that alone.
    Those with metered or slow connections should always make their own .iso from the Windows - BT folder in the root of the "C:" drive. Here is how.

    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...-esd-file.html
    Last edited by Brink; 2015-11-21 at 21:28. Reason: updated link for the same here
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Solved In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps
In-place upgrade, upgrading Windows to a later version or a superior edition of the same version is the only method to upgrade Windows without losing the installed apps and programs. Certain rules apply to an in-place upgrade: The bit version...
Installation and Setup
Solved How do I place a desktop tile on screen in Windows 10
Windows 8.1 had a desktop tile in the start screen. Windows 10 does not appear to have it. Is there a way to get the desktop tile back in windows 10?
Customization
Windows Store missing after doing in-place upgrade from 8.1 to 10
Not sure why this happened, but I did an inplace-upgrade using the .iso created from the Media Tool Creator. When i checked apps on Windows 10, none of my Windows apps where there. I logged into another account and there was also no Windows apps. Is...
Software and Apps
Solved If I don't get the upgrade..., would this work to install windows 10?
If I don't get the upgrade in the next few days, would this work to install windows 10 or should I just wait on an iso download from Microsoft? Please bear with me, it is a little complicated. Will the 10 10240 work to upgrade to the...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 clean install caused Repair Loop Error
Hi everyone, Win 7 user here, wanting to dual boot with Windows 10 preview (on a different partition). So I made a Win 10 usb boot disc, and it installed it fine. Played around with the new Windows for a few mins, whilst it downloaded an...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums