How to Create a Cortana Settings Shortcut in Windows 10
InformationCortana is included as an integrated part of the desktop in Windows 10. Cortana is one click away on the taskbar, helping you find the things you need while proactively bringing you information you care about. Cortana can help you search in Windows 10 for apps, settings, and files as well as searching the web. Cortana learns your preferences to provide relevant recommendations, fast access to information, and important reminders. You can access Cortana with your voice by clicking the microphone icon, then speaking to set reminders or ask about weather, sports, finance and other content from Bing. If you’re really adventurous, go into Cortana Settings, enable hands free use to say “Hey Cortana,” and you won’t need to click on the microphone icon. Cortana can learn your preferences and provide smarter recommendations over time. You can manage Cortana’s Notebook to add interests from Bing like news, sports, finance and weather so Cortana can proactively offer recommendations and information for you. Keep in mind, Cortana is new to the desktop – things might not work as expected.
For more information about Cortana, see: What is Cortana - Microsoft Windows
This tutorial will show you how to create or download a shortcut that opens directly to Cortana settings for your account in Windows 10.
TipStarting in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10547, you can now use Cortana with local accounts as well as with a Microsoft account.
- Option One: To Download a Cortana Settings Shortcut
- Option Two: To Manually Create a Cortana a Settings Shortcut
EXAMPLE: Cortana settings
OPTION ONETo Download a Cortana Settings Shortcut
1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.
3. Unblock the .zip file.
4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.
5. If you like, go to step 4 in OPTION TWO below to download and use a custom icon for this shortcut.
6. If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar, Pin to Start, add to All apps, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.
OPTION TWOTo Manually Create a Cortana Settings Shortcut
1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.
2. Copy and paste either location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
NoteIf you do not have a US English Windows 10 installed, then you will need to change the en-US folder name in the command below for the folder name with your language instead for this to work.
3. Type Cortana Settings for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.
4. Click/tap on the Download button below to download a custom Cortana.ico file to use for this shortcut. Unblock the .ico file, then move it to where you would like to keep it saved at.
5. Right click or press and hold on the new Cortana Settings shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.
6. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)
7. Click/tap on the Browse button, navigate to and select the Store.ico file from step 4 above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
NOTE: You can use any icon that you would like instead though.
8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 6)
9. If you like, you can Pin to Taskbar, Pin to Start, add to All apps, add to Quick Launch, assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.
- How to Turn On or Off Cortana in Windows 10
- How to Turn On or Off Hey Cortana in Windows 10
- How to Have Cortana Learn your Voice for 'Hey Cortana' in Windows 10
- How to Change the Name Cortana Uses for You in Windows 10
- How to Turn On or Off Cortana Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10