Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

  1. Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,766
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       08 Dec 2015 #80

    unko said: View Post
    Thanks for this. However it doesn't work 100% here : when i do right clic/open with, i have only 3 entries here, and the default windows viewer is not one of them..
    At the bottom, do you see " Choose another app " ?
    If yes, click it > use the scrollbar on the right, do you see Windows Photo Viewer ?
    If yes, click it > at the bottom, check the box " always use this app to open......" > clock OK when done.

    Will that work ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 120
    Windows 10 x64
       10 Dec 2015 #81

    That worked, its now appearing in the "open with" menu However the issue for associations remains..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,766
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       10 Dec 2015 #82

    unko said: View Post
    That worked, its now appearing in the "open with" menu However the issue for associations remains..
    I am sorry, I prefer not to leaf through pages of replies to find yours. There are 9 pages, 82 replies total.
    Would you be so kind to elaborate the issue of file association ?
    Thank you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 120
    Windows 10 x64
       10 Dec 2015 #83

    You could've just looked above, it's just my former message.. As it says, I only have TIFFs formats in the "picture viewer" association window.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,766
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       10 Dec 2015 #84

    Do it the old fashioned way...............
    Right click at Start > select Control Panel > top right at View by, click the pointer and select small icons > select Default Programs > select Associate a file type....... > left side, scroll down to .jpg > click it > under Current Default, does it say Windows Photo Viewer ?
    If yes, your are set.
    If no, top right, click Change Program > does the popup box show Windows Photo Viewer on the list ?
    If yes, click it and click OK.
    If no, at the bottom, click More apps > use the scrollbar to find Windows Photo Viewer and select it > click OK when done.

    Repeat the steps above with .png files.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 123
    Win 10 x64 Home
       18 Dec 2015 #85

    I'm having a problem with Windows Photo Viewer since the November update.
    Every time I open a pic in "Pictures" on C:\ (an SSD), my mechanical storage drives start up and the pic won't open until said drives are spinning.

    Since I use the Photo Viewer a lot I had to go back to the old one which is inconvenient given that Logitech drivers are bugged with scrolling.

    Windows 10 starts up those drives at every opportunity, any excuse and they start up but they're never actually being accessed, they just spin up for no reason.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,766
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       18 Dec 2015 #86

    elbeasto said: View Post
    Since I use the Photo Viewer a lot I had to go back to the old one ....................
    What is " the old one " ?
    I only know of one Windows Photo Viewer which comes with Windows 7.
    The one included in Windows 10 is called Photo, not Photo Viewer.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,424
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14971
       18 Dec 2015 #87

    elbeasto said: View Post
    I'm having a problem with Windows Photo Viewer since the November update.
    Every time I open a pic in "Pictures" on C:\ (an SSD), my mechanical storage drives start up and the pic won't open until said drives are spinning.

    Since I use the Photo Viewer a lot I had to go back to the old one which is inconvenient given that Logitech drivers are bugged with scrolling.

    Windows 10 starts up those drives at every opportunity, any excuse and they start up but they're never actually being accessed, they just spin up for no reason.
    Hello elbeasto,

    This would be from having Turn off hard disk after turned on in your power plan settings. You can set this to "Never" or a longer time so that you don't have to wait as often.

    Hard Drive - Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle or Never - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Power Plan Settings - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 123
    Win 10 x64 Home
       18 Dec 2015 #88

    Hi Brink.
    Ta for the reply but...

    What I'm getting at is that they don't need to start up at all if the image being opened is on C drive.
    Why spin up D and E drives if the image resides on C, a nice quiet SSD?

    This is a huge problem with Windows 10.

    e.g: I just now opened Settings>Network & Internet> All my drives spin up... for why win10? why are you so bad?

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello elbeasto,

    This would be from having Turn off hard disk after turned on in your power plan settings. You can set this to "Never" or a longer time so that you don't have to wait as often.

    Hard Drive - Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle or Never - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Power Plan Settings - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    davidhk said: View Post
    What is " the old one " ?
    davidhk said: View Post
    I only know of one Windows Photo Viewer which comes with Windows 7.
    The one included in Windows 10 is called Photo, not Photo Viewer.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.


    Sorry I meant go back to the Windows 10 Photos App, sorry for the confusion there.
    Last edited by elbeasto; 18 Dec 2015 at 16:45.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 16,424
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 14971
       18 Dec 2015 #89

    Elbeasto,

    I never understood why it has to spin all drives up either instead of just the one you're trying to open, but if you set Turn off hard disk after to never, it'll stop it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Solved Is Windows Photo Viewer gone?
I noticed a few builds ago (maybe 10162) that you could no longer set Windows Photo Viewer as the default picture opener. Now, it seems that MS is forcing you to use the Photos "app" instead. Is anyone else getting this issue?
Software and Apps
Windows Photo Viewer error
Cough. Hi there fellow forumers. I need your help. I've already know this problem of mine is a rather common problem among Windows 10 users. When I wish to open a picture with our good old Windows Photo Viewer, simply nothing happens or even if...
Software and Apps
Jpg photo unable to open in windows photo viewer.
Hai, Jpg photo unable to open in windows photo viewer. i reset default apps. i choose default apps by file type. 28169281702817128172 Regards. bala.
General Support
Solved Replacement for Windows Photo Viewer?
I really liked the Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 7... The photo viewer built into Windows 10 is terrible. Anyone know any good replacements? Something light weight.
Software and Apps
Solved Windows Photo Viewer - wrong colors?
Greetings. When watching photos in Windows Photo Viewer all colors are added a "yellow" look. How do I change that so it looks normal? If I resize the window so there are borders, they are yellow allso! Look at attached eksample.
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums