Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    25 Jul 2015 #11
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Portsmouth Hampshire
    Posts : 1,086
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240

    It is a tricky one if you have updated from preview versions and not from Windows 8 or 7. In that case, your registry associations might be preserved.

    The good news is that it is still in \Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer.
    The bad news is that the Windows Photo Viewer is only associated with tiff files it seems, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

    I can only suggest that you go to Microsoft Answers, make a fuss and see if one of the MS agents there can give you a registry fix.

    The other tricky thing, is that Windows Photo Viewer is not an executable program, but a dll that is invoked only by clicking on one of its associated files - in your case or mine, a .tif or .tiff file.

    There is a Kludge: rename one of your image files in your image folder in the following way image.png -> image.tif and you will find that it opens in Windows Photo Viewer when clicked. Then you can click next or previous and scroll through ALL of your image files in that folder. Make a shortcut to that image.tif file, and put it on your desktop, rename it photo viewer, and you will be able to scroll through all your photos there, or run a slide show etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    25 Jul 2015 #12
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 27
    trying to install win10

    Interesting work around.

    I unchecked one of the options during installation, can't remember what it was called - something about using "apps".

    That seems to have made image files open in paint by default ( except tif which opens in photoviewer).

    From Fafhrd post it seems photoviewer is capable of opening most images, but MS do not want you to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    25 Jul 2015 #13
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Portsmouth Hampshire
    Posts : 1,086
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240

    Beta software - its why we are here, and not playing on the beach.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    25 Jul 2015 #14
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 26,402
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607/14931.1000

    It is still there.. I can find it and use it with no effort.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    25 Jul 2015 #15
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Portsmouth Hampshire
    Posts : 1,086
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240

    Yes, Jeff, it's still there for everyone, but it seems to be broken in clean installs and probably works fine if you have upgraded from 7 or 8, since your file associations will have carried over.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    25 Jul 2015 #16
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 7,015
    W10

    Copy the following code into notepad and save it as a .reg file then merge it. Should fix the issue.

    See also: Windows Photo Viewer - Restore in Windows 10

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll]
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell]
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open]
    "MuiVerb"="@photoviewer.dll,-3043"
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command]
    @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
    00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,00,75,00,\
    6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,22,00,25,\
    00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,\
    25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,50,00,68,00,6f,\
    00,74,00,6f,00,20,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,50,00,68,00,\
    6f,00,74,00,6f,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
    00,22,00,2c,00,20,00,49,00,6d,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,\
    5f,00,46,00,75,00,6c,00,6c,00,73,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,65,00,6e,00,20,00,25,\
    00,31,00,00,00
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget]
    "Clsid"="{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}"
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print]
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command]
    @=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
    00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,72,00,75,00,\
    6e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,20,00,22,00,25,\
    00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,\
    25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,50,00,68,00,6f,\
    00,74,00,6f,00,20,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,50,00,68,00,\
    6f,00,74,00,6f,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
    00,22,00,2c,00,20,00,49,00,6d,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,56,00,69,00,65,00,77,00,\
    5f,00,46,00,75,00,6c,00,6c,00,73,00,63,00,72,00,65,00,65,00,6e,00,20,00,25,\
    00,31,00,00,00
    
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget]
    "Clsid"="{60fd46de-f830-4894-a628-6fa81bc0190d}"
    Last edited by Brink; 16 Nov 2015 at 12:24. Reason: added tutorial link for more info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    25 Jul 2015 #17
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 230
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    It is a tricky one if you have updated from preview versions and not from Windows 8 or 7. In that case, your registry associations might be preserved.

    The good news is that it is still in \Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer.
    The bad news is that the Windows Photo Viewer is only associated with tiff files it seems, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

    I can only suggest that you go to Microsoft Answers, make a fuss and see if one of the MS agents there can give you a registry fix.

    The other tricky thing, is that Windows Photo Viewer is not an executable program, but a dll that is invoked only by clicking on one of its associated files - in your case or mine, a .tif or .tiff file.

    There is a Kludge: rename one of your image files in your image folder in the following way image.png -> image.tif and you will find that it opens in Windows Photo Viewer when clicked. Then you can click next or previous and scroll through ALL of your image files in that folder. Make a shortcut to that image.tif file, and put it on your desktop, rename it photo viewer, and you will be able to scroll through all your photos there, or run a slide show etc.
    This doesn't really solve the problem. I don't use WPV to view pictures in a slideshow. I use it to quickly view pictures and delete them as I get them off my camera.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    Beta software - its why we are here, and not playing on the beach.
    You're right. But we're a few days from release and this MAJOR bug is still present.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Copy the following code into notepad and save it as a .reg file then merge it. Should fix the issue.
    This didn't work. I still only have 2 file associations in the "Default Programs" panel.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    25 Jul 2015 #18
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 7,015
    W10

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    ...This didn't work. I still only have 2 file associations in the "Default Programs" panel.
    Merge that file, then associate three or four file types with WPV, eg.: png, jpg, bmp, etc:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000009.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	25918

    Then you should get the option to use WPV as default:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000010.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	25919
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    25 Jul 2015 #19
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 230
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Merge that file, then associate three or four file types with WPV, eg.: png, jpg, bmp, etc:



    Then you should get the option to use WPV as default:

    Hmm, I didn't do that but I just checked and I was able to select WPV from the "Open With" menu.

    Thanks, this is quite a relief. I can't believe MS is forcing people to use their "apps".

    Also, what exactly does your registry fix do?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    25 Jul 2015 #20
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 7,015
    W10

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    ...Also, what exactly does your registry fix do?
    Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).
    (Post #11)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. Join the Ten Forums community

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).
I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows...
Software and Apps
Solved Alternative to Photo Viewer.
Hi. :) I am using build 10147 now, and Windows Photo Viewer is not working here as it used to. The new look/appearence of the Photos App is very cool, but is there any third party software that can be an alternative of the good old Windows Photo...
Software and Apps
Photo Viewer with Pan and Zoom
Is anyone familiar with photo viewer software that has pan and zoom feature? The feature was available with Vista photo viewer, gone with 7. I would like to have software with pan and zoom when using 10.
Software and Apps
Solved Windows Photo Viewer - wrong colors?
Greetings. When watching photos in Windows Photo Viewer all colors are added a "yellow" look. How do I change that so it looks normal? If I resize the window so there are borders, they are yellow allso! Look at attached eksample.
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums