Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 Oct 2016 #1

    Am I really THIS stupid !!!!


    Hi there

    I got an Amazon Fire stick a few days ago because of the recommendations of being able to use PLEX on it at decent bit rates -- but am I the ONLY person on the planet who can't make the wretched thing work. !!

    The built in apps are fine -- wifi no problem -- but whenever trying to start PLEX it refers me to logon to PLEX site to enter a pin number -- as I already have an account no way to do it -- and when I try and logon to the plex TV site as required by the application I get from the android phone device -- site not found.

    Now I regard myself as no Dummy with regard to typical computer problems - also have PhD in Engineering but just can't for the life of me to get this wretched device to work.

    Funnily enough I did have a Google Chromecast device which people said were much more complicated to get working - but for me worked straight out of the Box.

    So Peeps with Amazon fire stick

    HOW DOI I GET IT TO PLAY MY LOCAL MEDIA USING PLEX media server from my NAS.

    I'm stuck at the PLEX signon screen -- there's a PIN number on the TV and it says logon on another device using https://plex.tv/tv

    Before I chuck the thing in the Bin anybody got any ideas before I've realized I've probably wasted 50 EUR.

    The Built in apps are fine -- I just wanted this for local PLEX -- the built in CPU in theory should take load of local transcoding on my NAS server.

    Thanks


    If it's this complicated I can't understand how so many people RAVE over the device or have I got a 100% Brainstorm !!!!!

    ( There's a VLC player on the stick but on 1080p HEVC X265 it only seems to play video - so even here transcoder not working).

    I think I'll give up being so nasty to GOOGLE - the device works even if sometimes the video freezes for a few seconds when playing 1080p HEVC X265 videos.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 74
    Windows 10 pro 64bit
       22 Oct 2016 #2

    use:

    https://plex.tv/link


    if this is just for local you can log your account out (email/plex account) in the servers setting page and just add the address (ip) of the server to the app The login code is just to link apps (directly and remotely)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    22 Oct 2016 #3

    Hi folks

    The transcoding isn't as good as the Google Chromecast

    I've sent it back --didn't really offer me anything what I didn't want already -- The extra apps etc weren't what I wanted --I really thought the stick could have done the recoding / transcoding away from the server -- all I got "Server not powerful enough to transcode Video" (HEVC X 265) and the native VLC would only play with no video but just sound. !!.

    I'm sure for a lot of people the thing is fine but for me a TOTAL WASTE of 30 EUR !!!.

    I didn't need all the amazon prime TV stuff etc.

    Seems no way to get PLEX to download to the stick and then using the stick's supposedly's god CPU to transcode and then deliver to the TV.

    Even if Googlecast doesn't transcode - at least the server can send Video which the client application can do things with.

    For me in this case Amazon 0 Google 1 -- GOOOOOOOOAL !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,360
    Windows10
       22 Oct 2016 #4

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi folks

    The transcoding isn't as good as the Google Chromecast

    I've sent it back --didn't really offer me anything what I didn't want already -- The extra apps etc weren't what I wanted --I really thought the stick could have done the recoding / transcoding away from the server -- all I got "Server not powerful enough to transcode Video" (HEVC X 265) and the native VLC would only play with no video but just sound. !!.

    I'm sure for a lot of people the thing is fine but for me a TOTAL WASTE of 30 EUR !!!.

    I didn't need all the amazon prime TV stuff etc.

    Seems no way to get PLEX to download to the stick and then using the stick's supposedly's god CPU to transcode and then deliver to the TV.

    Even if Googlecast doesn't transcode - at least the server can send Video which the client application can do things with.

    For me in this case Amazon 0 Google 1 -- GOOOOOOOOAL !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I have found transcoding on the fly is often patchy on such devices.

    I generally just convert the video to mp4 and then it works on any device.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 6,503
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       22 Oct 2016 #5

    Jimbo, did you install ES Explorer? With that you should be able to install anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 74
    Windows 10 pro 64bit
       22 Oct 2016 #6

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi folks

    The transcoding isn't as good as the Google Chromecast

    I've sent it back --didn't really offer me anything what I didn't want already -- The extra apps etc weren't what I wanted --I really thought the stick could have done the recoding / transcoding away from the server -- all I got "Server not powerful enough to transcode Video" (HEVC X 265) and the native VLC would only play with no video but just sound. !!.

    *snip*
    Yeah I did not like the stick but the Box is great (all be it more expensive) and i don't have any issues with formats etc. (wired connection)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    23 Oct 2016 #7

    Hi
    @aramil

    Thanks

    I got the box in the end -- so much better -- it even found my 5 GHZ wifi that the stick didn't (apparently to make the stick see 5 GHZ wifi you have to change the 5 GHZ wifi channel to something like 36 - I was on 108 which it couldn't see so had to downgrade to 2.5 GHZ.

    Anyway got 30 EUR credit towards the box which is what I should have bought in the first place !!!

    5 GHZ fine for me -- also tried wired connection -- not much (if any) difference so I wentr back to wifi --less wires etc -- even if only 1 small piece of Lan cable. (Router is next to the box under the TV).

    Amazon are fine on deliveries --even on Sundays !!

    Also back to my Schooldays -- always RTFM before messing around -- (Read The F.. Manual) !!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 6,503
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       23 Oct 2016 #8

    I can't agree more, Jimbo. I have the Stick and the Box. The box is so much better, it's worth the extra cost.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 152
    Windows 10 Pro
       23 Oct 2016 #9

    I know what the stick is .....but what is the "Box". I assuming it's something similar. As for the fire stick....most people (across the pond) use KODI to free the stick.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 6,503
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       23 Oct 2016 #10

    Plankton said: View Post
    I know what the stick is .....but what is the "Box". I assuming it's something similar. As for the fire stick....most people (across the pond) use KODI to free the stick.
    It's the same thing, just bigger, better, faster.

    Fire TV - Amazon Official Site - Streaming Media Player
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved I did something really stupid with the Documents shortcut. need help
Both of my PCs got hacked awhile back, and I'm finally past that with my Desktop, Laptop is next, have formatted my drives, done clean install on Windows 10 Pro... Then I made a big boo-boo. I feel silly even posting to the forum, but I can't figure...
General Support
Solved Windows stupid... have questions
I rarely use Windows, but need it sometimes to help my children with their computer problems/needs. I have an HP dm4-3050us laptop that came with windows 7 Home. I have done the upgrade to Windows 10 and everything is working all right. The...
General Support
Solved Stupid me
Has anyone but me gotten that "Pro PC Cleaner" horsecrap. I run Avast, AdAware Pro, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Spyware Blaster and it STILL got through. Can't get rid of the crap. Nothing in the "Programs and Features". Not in the start up under...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
All these stupid popups.
I've been using Windows 10 Pro (now on the latest Build 10585) and I do like it better than Windows 7 (never thought I'd say that! LOL!). But now these stupid popups something like ?Windows32bit? keep coming up about how I should contact Microsoft...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Contana now seems stupid
Have been using Contana and liked it, had everything setup and working just the way I wanted, now....... 1. Now it won't show my local city's weather in forecast mode, yet it does for my alternate city. 2. Now it won't show scores for any of...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums