1. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Vermont
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10 64 Pro
       08 Oct 2016 #1

    Error code 0x80073CF9 when installing apps from the Windows Store


    I'm receiving the following error when trying to install apps from the Windows Store on Windows 10. It doesn't occur with every program, which makes it extremely frustrating to debug. The Event Viewer is no help, as it provides the same cryptic messages:


    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Gears of War 4.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Gears of War 4.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Carcassonne.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Candy Crush Saga.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Candy Crush Saga.


    I've Googled this error and searched TenForums but found nothing to help. SFC /SCANNOW reports no errors, re-registering the Windows Store app does nothing, disabling BitDefender does nothing. Is any real help available, or do I have to file a scam report with PayPal since Microsoft is incapable of managing a simple software download?
    Last edited by rassilon; 08 Oct 2016 at 09:15.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Vermont
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10 64 Pro
       08 Oct 2016 #2

    Also tried DISM, but as you can see below, there were no problems.

    Code:
    Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    
    
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    
    
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0
    
    
    Image Version: 10.0.14393.0
    
    
    [==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    
    
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0
    
    
    Image Version: 10.0.14393.0
    
    
    [==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow
    
    
    Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.
    
    
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    
    
    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Eastbourne East Sussex UK
    Posts : 2,387
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 143934.447
       08 Oct 2016 #3

    rassilon said: View Post
    I'm receiving the following error when trying to install apps from the Windows Store on Windows 10. It doesn't occur with every program, which makes it extremely frustrating to debug. The Event Viewer is no help, as it provides the same cryptic messages:


    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Gears of War 4.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Gears of War 4.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Carcassonne.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Candy Crush Saga.
    • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073CF9: Candy Crush Saga.


    I've Googled this error and search TenForums but found nothing to help. SFC /SCANNOW reports no errors, re-registering the Windows Store app does nothing, disabling BitDefender does nothing. Is any real help available, or do I have to file a scam report with PayPal since Microsoft is incapable of managing a simple software download?
    See if this link helps you
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/error-...t-be-installed

    Or these links
    error 0x80073CF9 - Bing
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Vermont
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10 64 Pro
       08 Oct 2016 #4

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    Useless, I fear. As I said, I already ran SFC, and there is no registry entry called OLE. Whomever wrote that article is either making things up, or using a non-English version of Windows 10. Nor did renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder accomplish anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       08 Oct 2016 #5

    rassilon said: View Post
    Useless, I fear. As I said, I already ran SFC, and there is no registry entry called OLE. Whomever wrote that article is either making things up, or using a non-English version of Windows 10. Nor did renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder accomplish anything.
    Same thing... I'm getting these errors with Viber. Other apps are installing normally. Viber has been installed on my W10 tablet before. Today I'm trying to install it again but getting these errors...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Vermont
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10 64 Pro
       08 Oct 2016 #6

    I tried some of the offending apps on my other Windows 10 PC and had no problems. I can't check Gears of War 4, since it's an 80 Gb download, and that machine is too old to run it. For what it's worth, I successfully installed Gears of War 4 once, but it was on the wrong drive. These errors started appearing after I switched my default Apps drive to D:

    Reverting to C: does not help, nor is that an option. As with many users, it's a small SSD, not suitable for housing an 80 Gb game.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       08 Oct 2016 #7

    OK.... Finally fixed my issue

    I have fixed my issue by uninstalling Windows Store app (with tool 10AppsManager) and installing it again vie elevated PowerShell ( Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* ).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Vermont
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10 64 Pro
       08 Oct 2016 #8

    Thank you for that tip! Please note that Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* doesn't actually install anything. AFAIK, it doesn't even do anything as there was no acknowledgement to that command. I was able to reinstall the store with 10AppsManager, and Carcassonne installed normally. Now to see if the 2-hour Gears of War 4 download completes this time ...

    Retoocs said: View Post
    OK.... Finally fixed my issue

    I have fixed my issue by uninstalling Windows Store app (with tool 10AppsManager) and installing it again vie elevated PowerShell ( Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* ).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Join Date : Oct 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       09 Oct 2016 #9

    rassilon said: View Post
    Thank you for that tip! Please note that Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* doesn't actually install anything. AFAIK, it doesn't even do anything as there was no acknowledgement to that command. I was able to reinstall the store with 10AppsManager, and Carcassonne installed normally. Now to see if the 2-hour Gears of War 4 download completes this time ...

    Hm... 10AppsManager was giving me an (.net) error when I try to reinstall with him. I've find that command on some web page. After entering into PowerShell I've got Windows Store icon on the start menu. PowerShell wasn't gave me any error after entering that command. Maybe in between 10AppsManager was installed Windows Store, but funny thing, it didn't install other uninstalled stock apps...
    Reinstalling Windows Store definitely helps, just in my case I don't know how is installed if you say that this command doesn't install anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Join Date : Jul 2015
    Vermont
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10 64 Pro
       09 Oct 2016 #10

    Quick follow-up. After reinstalling the Windows Store (thank you, Retoocs!) I was able to download Gears of War 4. It doesn't run yet, since Microsoft treated my dispute as a refund and removed access, despite not actually refunding the money. But that is a matter for the lawyers.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Store Error code 0x80072EE7
I'm unable to use the store because every time I try I get error code 0x80072EE7. I receive a message that says " We couldn't connect to the server". I have tried everything I could find on the net to resolve this issue to no avail. Does anyone...
Software and Apps
Solved Windows store app error code 0x803F7000
Hi, Cannot download or update apps in windows store, tried windows app diagnostics, WSReset and timezone/time check. error code 0x803F7000
Software and Apps
Windows 10 Store Apps/Games Download Failing (Error Code 0x80080207)
Hello, i'm having an issue with downloading apps from win 10 store. 36292 ^ That is bassicaly what i get every single time. Now i have posted a topic on Microsoft Community forums, but it's dragging along and my feeling is that that reply that...
Software and Apps
Solved Windows Store-error code 0x803F7000
I'm unable to download apps in windows store with an error code 0x803F7000 . Please help me to fix it !
Software and Apps
Windows Store error code 0x801901F7, can't launch Windows Store
Yesterday my Windows Store is working, but can't download or update any apps in Windows Store. After I turned off the PC for a few of hours then I open up the Windows Store and I get the error.. Screenshot: 29117 If anyone known how to fix...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums