Hi David, Yes. I am the main user of the computer. But my wife has her own user account and so does my son. I've seen native apps go wrong before on their accounts so I changed the app update settings from auto to manual so I have more control. So in this latest example, mail and calendar receives an update over the weekend. I pick this up after manually opening the store and checking under updates. It was actually already sitting there waiting. I just had to kick off the download. So it downloads and at the end of the whole process threw out some kind of error from MS, with a cryptic code and 'we are working on it' or something along those lines. So I manually re-scanned again to be offered the update again. It comes up and this time it goes through absolutely fine. I check both apps work on my user account and they are fine.
I then go into my wife and son's user accounts and try to launch those apps and nothing happens. I check under settings for their software and apps list and both mail and calendar are now conspicuous by their absence in the list even though the tiles remain in their start menus. I then go into the store under their own user accounts and look up mail and calendar, it offers me the chance to install them. So it's as if the apps no longer existed under their user accounts. I install them which all goes through. But even though the apps are now in their list, they still do not launch. It's happened before, I did try powershell once to remove that specific app from their accounts so I could re-install again (after a restart) and it made no difference. On previous occasions I had to delete their accounts and create new accounts for them as I had no recent system restore points (of course I am wise to that now). The recent issue I had a very recent restore point so I used that and all was well again. I then went back into store under my own user account and saw the mail and calendar update being offered again. I kicked off the update and this time it all went through first time, no error code, no 'we are working on it' message. The result was a clean one as the apps continued to work fine in the aftermath for all user accounts. So basically, if a native app update fails for some reason (as they can occasionally do) it seems to ruin that app for the other users. It's as if the update uninstalls the app from the other users during the failed process and doesn't revert to keep the app in it's previous state. The update then goes through successfully on another try, it is all fine for me afterwards but as the other users apps are now uninstalled or corrupt it doesn't do anything to help them. Trying to re-install the app within their user accounts makes no difference. The only solution is delete their accounts and start again or use system restore. It just seems to be a case of fingers crossed on the native apps that an update works smoothly first time.
The same happens with the other native apps. It's happened before with calculator, photos, one drive (probably others that I have forgotten too). Never, ever a problem with third party apps though. These all behave perfectly!