Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 403
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit; Windows 10 TP
       25 Jul 2015 #31

    Hello

    I am not sure if this is the appropriate section to post this - if not, please move it to the appropriate one.

    I am using CCleaner - Professional Edition (v5.08.5308 (64-bit)).
    I have set it to "Automatically clean on closing without notification" for all three browsers currently installed on my Windows 10 10240 - fully updated installation.

    When I press "Run Cleaner" it skips parts of the Edge browser, like this :

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.PNG 
Views:	478 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	25846

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.PNG 
Views:	479 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	25847

    Above shown are two different runs. Finally, I have to clear Edge's history manually.

    Any ideas?

    Thank you.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    France
    Posts : 57
    Desktop : Windows 10 RTM (Upgrade) Daily Driver: Windows 8.1 Pro + OS X 10.10.4
       04 Aug 2015 #32

    Joanne said: View Post
    Hello

    I am not sure if this is the appropriate section to post this - if not, please move it to the appropriate one.

    I am using CCleaner - Professional Edition (v5.08.5308 (64-bit)).
    I have set it to "Automatically clean on closing without notification" for all three browsers currently installed on my Windows 10 10240 - fully updated installation.

    When I press "Run Cleaner" it skips parts of the Edge browser, like this :



    Above shown are two different runs. Finally, I have to clear Edge's history manually.

    Any ideas?

    Thank you.
    Maybe it was open? Can you check via the task manager if MicrosoftEdge.exe is present in the processes section?
    (It's been a week since that post, but still it can help the others)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 403
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit; Windows 10 TP
       04 Aug 2015 #33

    mrplt said: View Post
    Maybe it was open? Can you check via the task manager if MicrosoftEdge.exe is present in the processes section?
    (It's been a week since that post, but still it can help the others)
    Hello

    Yes, a week has passed since that post. Here is what I am running now (Win edition and CCleaner version):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	28331

    I've upgraded from Win 10 Home to 10 Pro because I wanted to have the Group Policy available. Since yesterday I am customizing this installation, which I consider my "main OS". I have performed lots of customization and it works absolutely perfectly, so far. (on my other SSD I have Win 10 Pro untouched and using it as an Insider - this is a dual boot system).

    So, under these new circumstances, when it comes to CCleaner the only thing that I have observed happening now and then - and not all the time - is that it asks me to close Edge's Internet Database (?), or something like that, when I run the cleaner. It has a box that you tick to stop asking you, but I leave it like this, to ask me, until I will figure out what it does.

    In my system CCleaner runs on Windows startup and all of my browsers are cleaned automatically on close without notification.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 13,427
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       04 Aug 2015 #34

    Maybe because Cortana is using Edge for the default browser and holds Edge open, so it needs to be closed before cleaning. Just a guess...


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	28334 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	28335
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 403
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit; Windows 10 TP
       04 Aug 2015 #35

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Maybe because Cortana is using Edge for the default browser and holds Edge open, so it needs to be closed before cleaning. Just a guess...

    Hello, Cliff S


    Cortana is not available in my region, yet.

    Thanks for your reply.



    PS: this is the menu I get while running the cleaner and Edge is closed. I've not ticked "Do not show this again", yet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	383 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	28339
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    France
    Posts : 57
    Desktop : Windows 10 RTM (Upgrade) Daily Driver: Windows 8.1 Pro + OS X 10.10.4
       04 Aug 2015 #36

    Joanne said: View Post
    Hello, Cliff S


    Cortana is not available in my region, yet.

    Thanks for your reply.



    PS: this is the menu I get while running the cleaner and Edge is closed. I've not ticked "Do not show this again", yet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	383 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	28339
    Have you tried ticking the "Do not show me this message again" option? Because I think, when you tick that, CCleaner will try to close that database each time it cleans the system, and if it can't, it will skip that process.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 403
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit; Windows 10 TP
       04 Aug 2015 #37

    mrplt said: View Post
    Have you tried ticking the "Do not show me this message again" option? Because I think, when you tick that, CCleaner will try to close that database each time it cleans the system, and if it can't, it will skip that process.
    Yes, I have ticked that box and then selected "Yes". This means that CCleaner should close Edge's cache database and then clean the Internet cache and all the rest, right?

    Well... I don't know what to assume because I get kind of mixed results. As I said, CCleaner loads on Windows startup on my system, and it is set to monitor and automatically clean all my browsers when I close them, without notification. When it comes to Edge I have observed that most of the times this happens but not all the time. For example, I've opened Edge, browsed on a few sites and closed it. After...twenty (20) minutes I opened it again, Ctrl - H to show the history, and it was there! It was NOT cleared! Rarely this happens but it does!

    And then, another thing: let's say that Edge is cleared. I delete a few files and I restore CCleaner on my desktop and run the cleaner. I have observed that some times it skips what has to do with Edge. And I don't know, does Skipping mean that it left the browser uncleaned or does it mean that it did not find anything to clean? And what does it mean that "it might not be able to close the database"...? When I close Edge are there leftovers from it running in the background?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    France
    Posts : 57
    Desktop : Windows 10 RTM (Upgrade) Daily Driver: Windows 8.1 Pro + OS X 10.10.4
       04 Aug 2015 #38

    Joanne said: View Post
    Yes, I have ticked that box and then selected "Yes". This means that CCleaner should close Edge's cache database and then clean the Internet cache and all the rest, right?

    Well... I don't know what to assume because I get kind of mixed results. As I said, CCleaner loads on Windows startup on my system, and it is set to monitor and automatically clean all my browsers when I close them, without notification. When it comes to Edge I have observed that most of the times this happens but not all the time. For example, I've opened Edge, browsed on a few sites and closed it. After...twenty (20) minutes I opened it again, Ctrl - H to show the history, and it was there! It was NOT cleared! Rarely this happens but it does!

    And then, another thing: let's say that Edge is cleared. I delete a few files and I restore CCleaner on my desktop and run the cleaner. I have observed that some times it skips what has to do with Edge. And I don't know, does Skipping mean that it left the browser uncleaned or does it mean that it did not find anything to clean? And what does it mean that "it might not be able to close the database"...? When I close Edge are there leftovers from it running in the background?
    I don't know why, but I believe that sometimes CCleaner closes that database process, and when it can't it doesn't clean Edge.
    I don't really know what "Microsoft Edge Cache Database" stands for, and I don't see it as a process on Task Manager after I close Edge. You said you made some customisations, is it possible that they change the browser settings?
    Skipping means that CCleaner left Edge uncleaned.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 403
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit; Windows 10 TP
       04 Aug 2015 #39

    mrplt said: View Post
    I don't know why, but I believe that sometimes CCleaner closes that database process, and when it can't it doesn't clean Edge.
    I don't really know what "Microsoft Edge Cache Database" stands for, and I don't see it as a process on Task Manager after I close Edge. You said you made some customisations, is it possible that they change the browser settings?
    Skipping means that CCleaner left Edge uncleaned.
    Ah, okay, I thought you knew what's going on. All right, no problem

    I use Edge just for reading and for fun. My main browser is Google Chrome with all the appropriate extensions. For my e-banking I use Internet Explorer, as I always do. I have not stored any passwords on Edge neither am I going to use it for anything serious before an entire year has passed.

    When it comes to my customization, no I do not think that it affects anything. I know what I am doing Since though this IS indeed a big word to say when it comes to OSes, and computers, tomorrow when I will mount my other SSD in which I keep Windows 10 Pro untouched, in order to keep using it as an Insider and install all the (huge) updates that will follow, tomorrow then when I'll install CCleaner on that "virgin" OS, I will tell you if CCleaner does the same, or not.

    Something tells me that it will behave exactly the same
    It is certain, and normal and expected, that a little bit more work has to be done but I'm sure soon they will fix it.

    Thank you.
    Last edited by Joanne; 04 Aug 2015 at 15:34.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Eastbourne East Sussex UK
    Posts : 2,395
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 143934.479
       10 Aug 2015 #40

    Hi because I already had CCleaner Pro it informed me straight away when update was ready to install and clcked the update button and away it went.
    Well worth the money love CCleaner monitoring that sits in the task bar and as soon as you close the window it clears the junk out
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Latest AMD Chipset Drivers Released
Latest AMD Crimson Chipset Drivers Released WHQL version: 16.9.2 Release Date: October 5th 2016 Supports: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 32-bit AMD Chipset Drivers Download
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Kaspersky 2016 (English US) version released.
Kaspersky 2016 (English US) version released, however other languages and locales are not yet available at the moment. http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/purchase/kis-general-license Alternate Link & User Guide Kaspersky Internet Security...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
What do you think will happen when the final version is released?
I have read most of all the threads here and just wondered when the final version is ready to release and I say yes to the update to my desktop PC what will it do? I know it will use my previous Windows Prod ID to install but wondered if it...
Installation and Setup
Released version
So when this "10" is released will it be as straight forward as putting in a legal s/n or will it have to be wiped and reinstalled.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums