Page 32 of 77 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
  1.    27 Jan 2016 #311

    cereberus said: View Post
    Thanks Kyhi for the excellent tip that gave me a clue how to add stuff - I am now going to add other stuff and shortcuts etc..
    Perhaps another thread for this? How to change Khyi's PE disk

    Anyway from what I can figure out (silence - I kill you) creating a shortcut isn't enough. I tried it (adding them to Public or Default desktop) and it didn't work.

    What you can do though (after changing the programs) is update F:\mount\Windows\system32\Win10PE.cfg to add the new shortcuts (and remove the old ones).

    I've no idea of the structure of this file or what it does exactly (except it seems to run when the image boots up) but copying the structure of what is there seems to work. For example if you want to change "FireFox" to "Palemoon" just search/replace.

    If you don't want CCleaner delete all references to it.

    If you want to add a new program add the lines
    Code:
    HD Tasks\MBR|Whatever|X:\Program Files\Whatever\Whatever.exe||	
    Desktop|Whatever|X:\Program Files\Whatever\Whatever.exe||
    As long as the program is portable it seems to work.

    As for printing I don't own one and still go to the internet café if I really have to print or fax something so I can't help with that. Load your Wi-Fi or Printer driver I suppose.
    Code:
    Add-WindowsDriver -Path "F:\mount" -Driver "<directory containing the inf files>" -recurse
    Set your timezone if you like
    Code:
    & (gcm "dism.exe") @("/image:F\mount",'/Set-TimeZone:Romance Standard Time')
    and there you are - his PE disk as you like it

    I did try for a long time to make my own from scratch but it was all to complicated for me. I couldn't get any type of GUI to work - only a limited file explorer.

    Much easier to tweek an existing one so it is as you like it (there is a lot of background work done here I think).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,360
    Windows10
       27 Jan 2016 #312

    Kyhi said: View Post
    Deleted post..

    Just tested mounting boot.wim to X:\ Partition
    Not supported - can not mount to the root drive - has to be folder

    Although when using "Program" folder from Host OS - no need to zip - just copy "program" folder into mounted PE Image
    then commit
    Thanks - I actually worked out you could copy instead of zipping (just tried it for luck).

    I am wondering if you could possibly mount the boot.wim to a directory, then map another drive letter so the mount directory becomes the 'root drive'. Still, it only takes a few seconds extra to do it the way I worked out, so probably not worth the hassle.

    Any idea how to print from winpe?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,584
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       27 Jan 2016 #313

    cereberus said: View Post
    Thanks - I actually worked out you could copy instead of zipping (just tried it for luck).

    I am wondering if you could possibly mount the boot.wim to a directory, then map another drive letter so the mount directory becomes the 'root drive'. Still, it only takes a few seconds extra to do it the way I worked out, so probably not worth the hassle.

    Any idea how to print from winpe?
    You would have to add print drivers..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 19,810
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       27 Jan 2016 #314

    I love this thread about how to add apps to Win10PE as I've been wanting to try this for a while. I am not a programmer, so it has always stumped this old fart. But, after reading these steps, I think I just might try this now. I want to add programs like Chrome, as I don't like Firefox, and maybe replace CCleaner with my registered version.......small changes actually. even wonder if I could replace Malwarebytes with my registered version.....but that one might not work. Again thanks guys for all this information!!! Nice!!
    Mike.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,584
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       27 Jan 2016 #315

    Mike,
    adding Chrome is a little more Involved....
    CCleaner not an issue - same program - just have to add serial key to PE registry
    MalwareBytes - same program - just have to add serial key to PE registry

    Non-Portable Apps - are a little harder to add to PE - because of other system file dependencies...

    Although one could QuickTest the non-portable app in PE by running the app installer within PE
    If it crashes - then you have to find out why and what is missing to make the program run correctly..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 19,810
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       27 Jan 2016 #316

    Kyhi said: View Post
    Mike,
    adding Chrome is a little more Involved....
    CCleaner not an issue - same program - just have to add serial key to PE registry
    MalwareBytes - same program - just have to add serial key to PE registry

    Non-Portable Apps - are a little harder to add to PE - because of other system file dependencies...

    Although one could QuickTest the non-portable app in PE by running the app installer within PE
    If it crashes - then you have to find out why and what is missing to make the program run correctly..
    Ok not sure about adding CCleaner key to the registry, as I just looked and their is no serial key for CCleaner in my registry. Think they put it right in the programs folder. Have not checked Malwarebytes yet...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,360
    Windows10
       28 Jan 2016 #317

    lx07 said: View Post
    Perhaps another thread for this? How to change Khyi's PE disk

    Anyway from what I can figure out (silence - I kill you) creating a shortcut isn't enough. I tried it (adding them to Public or Default desktop) and it didn't work.

    What you can do though (after changing the programs) is update F:\mount\Windows\system32\Win10PE.cfg to add the new shortcuts (and remove the old ones).

    I've no idea of the structure of this file or what it does exactly (except it seems to run when the image boots up) but copying the structure of what is there seems to work. For example if you want to change "FireFox" to "Palemoon" just search/replace.

    If you don't want CCleaner delete all references to it.

    If you want to add a new program add the lines
    Code:
    HD Tasks\MBR|Whatever|X:\Program Files\Whatever\Whatever.exe||    
    Desktop|Whatever|X:\Program Files\Whatever\Whatever.exe||
    As long as the program is portable it seems to work.

    As for printing I don't own one and still go to the internet café if I really have to print or fax something so I can't help with that. Load your Wi-Fi or Printer driver I suppose.
    Code:
    Add-WindowsDriver -Path "F:\mount" -Driver "<directory containing the inf files>" -recurse
    Set your timezone if you like
    Code:
    & (gcm "dism.exe") @("/image:F\mount",'/Set-TimeZone:Romance Standard Time')
    and there you are - his PE disk as you like it

    I did try for a long time to make my own from scratch but it was all to complicated for me. I couldn't get any type of GUI to work - only a limited file explorer.

    Much easier to tweek an existing one so it is as you like it (there is a lot of background work done here I think).
    I found all you have to do is create the shortcut on the PEversion in normal way (right click desktop etc), and create a shortcut on desktop. This then has the drives set to X directory.

    Then you do same as kyhi says, but additionally copy the shortcut to the users\default\desktop folder on the mounted drive, and then when the boot.wim is updated, the shortcut just appears on the desktop along with all the ones set up by kyhi.

    Perhaps not as tidy as editing the .cfg folder but very easy to do.

    I created a couple of shortcuts for notepad and wordpad (wordpad is good for editing linux txt files without the lf/cr format of windows text files).

    So how I copy stuff from my source OS is as follows (obviously really only portable apps).

    1) copy folders from program files for PE version (X drive)

    2) create desktop shortcut in normal way (right click on desktop)

    3) copy boot.wim to a another drive etc as per kyhi post.

    4) copy app folder to the mounted folders as well.

    5) copy shortcut to desktop in mounted folders as stated above

    6) dismount folders and copy boot.wim back to usb drive

    7) make iso of usb drive for future use.

    see

    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

    for my customised version.

    I have even got a partial workaround for printing stuff ie create a pdf file, and copy it to my raspberry pi which is set up as a google cloud printer server (I've added putty to my disk).

    I agree a new sticky thread on this might be a good idea.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,584
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       28 Jan 2016 #318

    But you gotta make me laugh...

    You did all that..
    But you can't click the picture icon on the POST toolbar - to attach a picture..

    LOL

    Attachment 61219

    Sorry.. Just had to do it...
    sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to figure out..
    LOL

    Attachment 61220
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Dec 2015
    Posts : 2,360
    Windows10
       28 Jan 2016 #319

    Kyhi said: View Post
    But you gotta make me laugh...

    You did all that..
    But you can't click the picture icon on the POST toolbar - to attach a picture..

    LOL

    Attachment 61219



    Sorry.. Just had to do it...
    sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to figure out..
    LOL

    Attachment 61220
    LOL - force of habit!

    BTW : do you know of a way to save my wifi password etc and autorun PEnetwork manager?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,584
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       28 Jan 2016 #320

    you can export the wifi profile and add it is an .xml file into the penetwork folder..

    but 95% of the time - it does not work anyway..

    so you still have to manually select, network adapter and password..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 32 of 77 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Create Rescue Disk fails during disk creation
Have a new Double Power 8.1 Tablet that I've upgraded to Win 10. Now I've got it set up just right, I'm attempting to create a Rescue Disk. Purchased a 16gb micro-usb drive which is successfully recognized. Ran 'Create Rescue Disk' from Windows...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved How to make active@boot disk bootable on uefi/gpt?
Hey Guys Does anyone know how this software can be configured to boot from usb on uefi/gpt. I formatted usb using rufus on the relevant mode then dragged over the contents of another usb where it does work on bios/mbr set up. But when booting...
Installation and Setup
Solved Win 10 Rescue disk
I have a new laptop with win 7 pro installed. Once Win 10 is installed in July how will I be able to create a system restore disk?
Installation and Setup
Solved MiniTool Power Data Recovery to the rescue!!!
Just sharing this. I made another boo-boo today and deleted 500GB worth of media files (just movies and music). Don't ask me how because that's something nobody wants to do. :) I don't keep a backup of these files. For me these are disposable...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums