Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10 latest 32
       30 Jul 2015 #51

    old! AMD dual Opteron running Windows 10 32 bit nicely


    Hi everyone,
    Just thought this might be interesting to some people: I am typing this from Windows 10, the final release, from an old Opteron system that was working on 8.0 (but failed the 8.1 update test). I did an inplace upgrade to Win10 32 bit and all is working well so far.
    PS. I have not tried a clean install yet.
    PS. I have 8gb of ram but pulled 4gb out since 64 bit is not an option. I know it is not ideal, but it is fast enough on 32bit since memory management is so much better than on Win7. So I'd much rather run Win10 32 than Win7 64 since that was unstable with NVIDIA graphics.

    I have an old AGP card, Nvidia 6200, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers (390 I believe) and those worked.

    My specs:
    Tyan Tiger K8W
    dual 250 Opteron
    Nvidia 6200 AGP
    Raptor 36gb WD

    For the record, the system feels faster than a recent quad core build with 4gb of ram and a samsung Evo 850 120Gb SSD! So there is life in these opties yet
    I think I built this originally in 2005ish!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pro.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	26797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpus.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	26800
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       30 Jul 2015 #52

    I got 10 working without having to install any drivers on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10v.

    Dell Inspiron Mini 10v
    Intel Atom N270
    1GB RAM
    Intel 945 Mobile Graphics
    160GB 5400RPM SATA drive

    Touchpad is a little wonky compared to its previous OS, XP, as I can't do two-finger scrolling or side-scrolling. Otherwise, it runs pretty well! Around 700MB of RAM is used idling and about 5% CPU. With Edge open to the new tab page, RAM is about 785MB in use and CPU hangs around 10%. Not bad at all for a cheap netbook!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jul 2015 #53

    shaocaholica said: View Post
    And here's the tool to bypass checks for Win8 which should get updated for Win10 once its been out for a bit.

    Windows 8 CPU Feature Patch (Bypass Windows 8 CPU feature checks))

    Seems like the NX feature is pretty harmless to bypass for Win8 as the software fallback code is still there from Vista/7 so you don't have to worry about crashes if the OS needs that functionality.
    I have to read up on that. I have dual Netburst Xeons on my HP xw8200 (that feature check bypass could allow me to run Windows 8.1 x 64 perhaps)

    *** Edit **** (I see that what I typed below was mentioned after the post I replied to)
    One thing that seems to not be mentioned is how old of hardware could be used to run the 32-bit version of Windows 10. Could a Pentium III (say around 800 MHz) run it with enough RAM to offset the low speed?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 7
       07 Sep 2015 #54

    muze7 said: View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Just thought this might be interesting to some people: I am typing this from Windows 10, the final release, from an old Opteron system that was working on 8.0 (but failed the 8.1 update test). I did an inplace upgrade to Win10 32 bit and all is working well so far.
    PS. I have not tried a clean install yet.
    PS. I have 8gb of ram but pulled 4gb out since 64 bit is not an option. I know it is not ideal, but it is fast enough on 32bit since memory management is so much better than on Win7. So I'd much rather run Win10 32 than Win7 64 since that was unstable with NVIDIA graphics.

    I have an old AGP card, Nvidia 6200, I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers (390 I believe) and those worked.

    My specs:
    Tyan Tiger K8W
    dual 250 Opteron
    Nvidia 6200 AGP
    Raptor 36gb WD

    For the record, the system feels faster than a recent quad core build with 4gb of ram and a samsung Evo 850 120Gb SSD! So there is life in these opties yet
    I think I built this originally in 2005ish!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pro.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	26797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpus.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	26800
    hello,
    how did you manage to install w10 final release if install.wim is not openable.
    Can i ask you to lead me how to get it ?
    Currently on W7 SP1 (fully updated with WX tray) x86 - activated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NYS
    Posts : 251
    Windows 10 & Windows 10 Insider Program, Linux Mint 18
       07 Sep 2015 #55

    jach0o said: View Post
    hello,
    how did you manage to install w10 final release if install.wim is not openable.
    Can i ask you to lead me how to get it ?
    Currently on W7 SP1 (fully updated with WX tray) x86 - activated.
    Have you checked the tutorials?
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

    Rich
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 1
    vista
       11 Sep 2015 #56

    Hi, I have an old Dell Dimension 3000 which failed the NX test, although it told me I could upgrade and even gave me the windows icon on the toolbar. I really need to update it to Windows 10 for my daughter, so please let us know when such a workaround/patch (like the Windows 8 version posted elsewhere in this thread) is available because I would love to add the machine to your growing list.
    Thanks,

    Roberto.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 10
       13 Sep 2015 #57

    This was a fun project today. Pentium 4 631 (Jan 2006) 3.0 ghz with 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM and a Radeon 5450 1GB graphics card. Setup was slow to get going, and lagged at certain points, but made it through. Update was a bit slow too, but it had no trouble getting drivers in for all the hardware, mainboard & graphics, etc. I didn't have to do any searching. CPU likes to get up to 99% and RAM around 50%. It plays youtube vids for the kids well enough using Edge, the first machine I'll try that browser out on. Have it HDMI'd to a 32 inch samsung hanging on the wall. We'll see if it holds up.



      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 7
       09 Oct 2015 #58

    rmonroe36 said: View Post
    Have you checked the tutorials?
    Is it related to Pentium 4 PCs ??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Sep 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 7
       09 Oct 2015 #59

    firebasejay said: View Post
    This was a fun project today. Pentium 4 631 (Jan 2006) 3.0 ghz with 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM and a Radeon 5450 1GB graphics card. Setup was slow to get going, and lagged at certain points, but made it through. Update was a bit slow too, but it had no trouble getting drivers in for all the hardware, mainboard & graphics, etc. I didn't have to do any searching. CPU likes to get up to 99% and RAM around 50%. It plays youtube vids for the kids well enough using Edge, the first machine I'll try that browser out on. Have it HDMI'd to a 32 inch samsung hanging on the wall. We'll see if it holds up.



    Hello, could you explain me how did you menaged to upgrade windows 10 on p4 pc ? I can't get installation couse of no nx support on p4 cpus.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 66
    Windows 10 x64
       17 Jan 2016 #60

    Hey guys going to revive this thread.

    I was able to successfully install Windows 10 on all PC and laptop here, including an MSI Wind U100, except for one laptop, with an Intel Pentium M 725. It is currently running Windows 7 and I think it would be great with Win10 but unfortunately this CPU doesn't support NX at all. I faced the NX compatibility issue with many PC laptop here and was able to use the BCDEDIT /Set nx always ON, but for the laptop the issue is real.

    Anybody was able to successfully make Windows 10 run on a PC without NX ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Gaming hardware drivers for Win7 OK in Win10?
I haven't had the new PC delivered yet, but am wondering if, as Vista drivers for gaming hardware tended to be OK in Win7, should they and/or Win7 drivers work in Win10? Thinking of things like Saitek X52, Belkin Nostromo N52.. I could of...
Drivers and Hardware
10130 On raw hardware
So, I've been running Windows 10 in a VM since day 1... and have not run It on real hardware. After my primary drive started flaking out, I went out and bought a new SSD, and decided to just bite the bullet and install Windows 10 as my primary...
General Support
Solved Phantom hardware
I have a Lenovo laptop with 2 ssd installed no cd installed. I go to drive management and I have a cd with a dvd mounted with 3.9 GB showing I can open a command prompt and get a directory listing. 7768 I would like to know where this...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums