Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 16,562
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       22 Oct 2016 #11

    ToddB said: View Post
    Thank you for this F14Tomcat. I thought of this very thing after I posted a reply to your previous post and made the necessary insider changes and tried to update to the latest build once available. Tried it twice, messed around with it for a little over a day and could not get it to update successfully. So I reverted to my previous build and removed myself from the insider ring. Can you please tell me one thing. The current release (slow ring current) that I am running still has an issue with the system files from what I can ascertain however my OS seems to work just fine and is stable. So with that being said would you suggest that I let things be as it is and if so how would you suggest I fix down the road when a fix becomes available (if that makes sense)? Thank you again!
    @ToddB ... It (14931) has an expiration date, believe 5/17/17. You can check in WINVER command. You're not going to get any more updates to it. If you reverted to a previous build and dropped out of Insider, I am a little confused what build you are on right now. 14393.321 AU? 14926? (the Insider before 931) I was under the impression that if you completely dropped out of Insider, cut the cord with the MS program, they made you reinstall 14393. I've never been down that road, so I'm not really sure. Maybe someone reading this can say yeah or nay.

    I, personally, would not keep running a version (14931) that refuses to update. I would either clean install it, go back to RTM AU, or somehow get my hands on an install.esd from the 14951 WU and make an ISO an do an in-place upgrade.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       23 Oct 2016 #12

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    @ToddB ... It (14931) has an expiration date, believe 5/17/17. You can check in WINVER command. You're not going to get any more updates to it. If you reverted to a previous build and dropped out of Insider, I am a little confused what build you are on right now. 14393.321 AU? 14926? (the Insider before 931) I was under the impression that if you completely dropped out of Insider, cut the cord with the MS program, they made you reinstall 14393. I've never been down that road, so I'm not really sure. Maybe someone reading this can say yeah or nay.

    I, personally, would not keep running a version (14931) that refuses to update. I would either clean install it, go back to RTM AU, or somehow get my hands on an install.esd from the 14951 WU and make an ISO an do an in-place upgrade.
    Again F14Tomcat thank you for the information above that you have provided me. I really appreciate your help. I am sorry to mislead you on my last post but I have not actually quit participating in the insider ring. I was going to do this but firstit prompts me if I want to suspend my participation for X amount of days. When one goes to permanently exit the insider ring it takes you to a site that advises that you should only exit on a build that is production. So I stopped my exit at that point and put alot of thought of the options you laid out above. I finally decided to try to update to 14951. So I found an ISO update of 14951 to download, burned and tried to update that way. In doing so it failed again, backed out installation update and restored my current version of windows. On re-boot I got the follow MS message:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_10_24_03_46_441.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	422.0 KB 
ID:	107332

    So my question is: Do you know what course of action I should take to resolve the following error when trying to update to 14951? If that appears that it may involve a clean install I am hoping to go back to a stable production of Windows 10. Would that be the RTM you mentioned above and if so could you please advise how I would get to a stable version. I would like to get this OS stable as I am going to be using this laptop in a class that I will be starting tomorrow and I need a stable OS till April 17' which is how long my class is. I am going to be writing alot of code on this machine and I really don't want to spend my time and take the risk of messing around with OS problems. I cant lose my work on this machine. Again your suggestions and advise is greatly appreciated!
    So
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 16,562
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       24 Oct 2016 #13

    ToddB said: View Post
    Again F14Tomcat thank you for the information above that you have provided me. I really appreciate your help. I am sorry to mislead you on my last post but I have not actually quit participating in the insider ring. I was going to do this but firstit prompts me if I want to suspend my participation for X amount of days. When one goes to permanently exit the insider ring it takes you to a site that advises that you should only exit on a build that is production. So I stopped my exit at that point and put alot of thought of the options you laid out above. I finally decided to try to update to 14951. So I found an ISO update of 14951 to download, burned and tried to update that way. In doing so it failed again, backed out installation update and restored my current version of windows. On re-boot I got the follow MS message:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_10_24_03_46_441.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	422.0 KB 
ID:	107332

    So my question is: Do you know what course of action I should take to resolve the following error when trying to update to 14951? If that appears that it may involve a clean install I am hoping to go back to a stable production of Windows 10. Would that be the RTM you mentioned above and if so could you please advise how I would get to a stable version. I would like to get this OS stable as I am going to be using this laptop in a class that I will be starting tomorrow and I need a stable OS till April 17' which is how long my class is. I am going to be writing alot of code on this machine and I really don't want to spend my time and take the risk of messing around with OS problems. I cant lose my work on this machine. Again your suggestions and advise is greatly appreciated!
    So
    @ToddB - Good morning! The error you see above indicates the system could not put back your personal data and programs. It most likely did not get past about 75%, when it started to roll-back. This is a known problem. MS issued a warning concerning this. If you have any 3rd party Antivirus installed (which you do), chances are high the install will fail. This is from the official blog:

    If you have a 3rd party antivirus product installed on your PC your PC might not be able to complete the update to this build and roll-back to the previous build.

    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14951 for Mobile and PC | Windows Experience Blog

    And Shawn's announcement here on TF:

    Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14951 for PC and Mobile - Windows 10 Forums

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Based on what you stated above regarding how you will be using the laptop, it would be ill-advised to use a Beta System. Using your machine for important school work and code writing demands the most stable environment you can get. With minimal extra 3rd party software. You have some apps installed you probably don't need or should not have. But that's a different topic.

    The best advice I can give you, under your stated conditions, is to make a good system image backup, have all your personal files and program installers and product keys saved somewhere off-line. Do a complete, from scratch, Clean Install of the public RTM 14393. All the instructions and links you will need are in this tutorial:

    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup

    If you have a class starting tomorrow (10/25/16), you really cannot afford to try to fix a test Insider system. Go back to stable RTM AU.

    Hope this helps, TC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2016
    Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       25 Oct 2016 #14

    f14tomcat thank you very much for the direction on this. I tried the update one more time with my 3rd party AV disabled and it failed again so I made the decision to take the route you outlined above. I did a clean install of the Win 10 RTM AU that I downloaded the ISO and burned. Did a clean install of it this morning and all is well. Actually it worked out in a number of ways since I tend to be a application "hoarder" and don't tend to get rid of one once I have it. Always think I will somehow need it again so it was good to clean house which forces me to determine what I really need loaded.

    So again thank you for your great direction on this and I should be good to go for my class and studies with a stable OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 16,562
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       25 Oct 2016 #15

    ToddB said: View Post
    f14tomcat thank you very much for the direction on this. I tried the update one more time with my 3rd party AV disabled and it failed again so I made the decision to take the route you outlined above. I did a clean install of the Win 10 RTM AU that I downloaded the ISO and burned. Did a clean install of it this morning and all is well. Actually it worked out in a number of ways since I tend to be a application "hoarder" and don't tend to get rid of one once I have it. Always think I will somehow need it again so it was good to clean house which forces me to determine what I really need loaded.

    So again thank you for your great direction on this and I should be good to go for my class and studies with a stable OS.
    @ToddB ... Good news! I'm glad it all worked out for you. And Good Luck with your classes, you'll do great!

    TC
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14931 for PC
UPDATE: http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/66005-announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14931-pc-slow-ring.html 783714051293646850 778715942645669888 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14931 for PC | Windows...
Windows 10 News
Solved Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation
Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct thread....I am also having problems with SFC /SCANNOW as mine stops at 20% with this error Running SFC /SCANNOW stops at 20% with error Beginning verification phase of system scan....
Performance & Maintenance
SFC-windows resource protection cannot perform the requested operation
Long story short, I had some problems with my computer slowly starting to be unable to open certain programs (Steam,Battle.Net Launcher,Certain internet sites) and so I put a ticket into chrome and blizzard. Blizzard had the best response and it...
Performance & Maintenance
there is no email program associated to perform the requested action
Here's a screenshot of the error: https://i.gyazo.com/a56cb035ad5ab238709815ecce63eddd.png I get this popup every few minutes, unless I just leave it up permanently. I've been googling for a solution for a couple hours now, and have tried...
Browsers and Email
Updated to 1511: "740: The requested operation requires elevation"
In my normal user account (belonging to Users group) I maintain a folder with a bunch of convenient administrative shortcuts, which run certain applications under "Administrator" account through 'runas' utility. Each shortcut's command line looks as...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums