Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       06 Oct 2016 #1

    Windows 10 System Image Restore failure with some types of error.


    I have a laptop (asus p2420lj (no ssd)) with windows anniversary update version. After i made a system image (on my laptop HDD and on an external HDD) i tested it by doing system image restore via "repair your computer" option which is included in my flash drive with older version of windows 10 installation media. First i try using the system image in my internal HDD. The restore process looks OK but when process bar fulled a massage of error "the parameter is incorrect 0x80070057" showed up. So i attempted to do it again but ended up with different error "the system image you selected does not contain bla bla bla". It also happen when i use system image in my external HDD. So i try to "exit and continue to windows 10" but cannot go to start screen and an error showed up with black background or blue background. Anyone know what is the root problem of this?

    Ps: i try to repair startup and it succeded. And when i logged in a massage asking me to do "restart to scan for drive errors" popped up and done that process. So i make another system image for backup and when i test it again the problems above happened again.

    Please do help me. It's so frustating.
    Last edited by ARNaja; 08 Oct 2016 at 09:11. Reason: Typo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,115
    W10Prox64
       06 Oct 2016 #2

    ARNaja said: View Post
    I have a laptop (asus p2420lj (no ssd)) with windows anniversary update version. After i made a system image (on my laptop HDD and on an external HDD) i tested it by doing system image restore via "repair your computer" option which is included in my flash drive with older version of windows 10 installation media. First i try using the system image in my internal HDD. The restore process looks OK but when process bar fulled a massage of error "the parameter is incorrect 0x80070057" So i attempted to do it again but ended up with different error "the system image you selected does not contain bla bla bla". It also happen when i use system image in my external HDD. So i try to "exit and continue to windows 10" but cannot go to start screen and an error showed up with black background or blue background. Anyone know what is the root problem of this?

    Ps: i try to repair startup and it succeded. And when i logged in a massage asking me to do "restart to scan for drive errors" and done that process. So i make another system image for backup and when i test it again the problems above happened again.

    Please do help me. It's so frustating.
    Hi ARNaja and welcome to Tenforums.
    Honestly, I would dump the Windows Backup and use Macrium Reflect. Macrium has a free version, is very robust and never fails. The Windows Backup is not to be trusted.
    Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums
    .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       06 Oct 2016 #3

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi ARNaja and welcome to Tenforums.
    Honestly, I would dump the Windows Backup and use Macrium Reflect. Macrium has a free version, is very robust and never fails. The Windows Backup is not to be trusted.
    Macrium Reflect - Backup Restore - Windows 10 Forums
    .
    Thanks for the rep mr simrick. Is it okay to use third party app like that for such a windows problem ? Sorry still a newbie in windows 10 pls dont mind if i ask too much.
    Last edited by ARNaja; 06 Oct 2016 at 22:55. Reason: Typo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,216
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       07 Oct 2016 #4

    It's great you're giving thought to system recovery - so many don't.
    3rd party programs are much more flexible and feature rich. Of them Macrium has come to be regarded as more reliable than most. I'd echo Simrick's view- there have been a number of reports of problems with the very basic Backup and Restore offered in Windows.

    It is very well supported with updates, an active forum, help and videos.

    However it's GUI is a bit daunting at first- the free version doesn't include incremental imaging, but does support differential imaging. It is hard to find where to click to start differential imaging first time!

    Make sure you get the program, create a bootable medium (CD or flash drive) and set your boot priority to be able to boot from it and test it, and you'll already have large enough external storage.

    In Macrium, click Backup, click Backup Windows
    - backs up all your Windows related partitions.

    Then you can image your data disks or partitions if any as well.
    Last edited by dalchina; 07 Oct 2016 at 08:37.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,115
    W10Prox64
       07 Oct 2016 #5

    ARNaja said: View Post
    Thanks for the rep mr simrick. Is it okay to use third party app like that for such a windows problem ? Sorry still a newbie in windows 10 pls dont mind if i ask too much.
    Hi.
    Yes, this particular 3rd-party app is very good, and you will be pleased with the results. Just be sure to read the tutorial thoroughly, and ask any questions before proceeding. We're always here to help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       07 Oct 2016 #6

    dalchina said: View Post
    It's great you're giving thought to system recovery - so many don't.
    3rd party programs are much more flexible and feature rich. Of them Macrium has come to be regarded as more reliable than most. I'd echo Simrick's view- there have been a number of reports of problems with the very basic Backup and Restore offered in Windows.

    It is very well supported with updates, an active forum, help and videos.

    However it's GUI is a bit daunting at first- the free version doesn't include incremental imaging, but does support differential imaging. It is hard to find where to click to start differential imaging first time!

    Make sure you get the program, create a bootable medium (CD or flash drive) and set your boot priority to be able to boot from it and test it, and you'll already have large enough external storage.

    In Macrium, click Backup, click Backup Windows
    - backs up all your Windows related partitions.

    Then you can image your data disks or partitions if any as well.
    So much appreciate for your rep dalchina. Well i'm just a newbie in this forum. I just want to learn as much as i can about win 10.
    So the program to initiate backup (use image from macrium backup) all will be included in drive where i put my image backup in ? How many GB approximately needed for an image backup by macrium commonly so i can get flash drive that enough.

    Btw, i think as long as i can use image of my backup it's okay for me. Even its diffrential type. But i've searched about incremental storage and some of opinions in the net said that incremental image has corrupted file image risk higher than the differential one. Is that true?

    Ps: sorry for my bad english.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       07 Oct 2016 #7

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi.
    Yes, this particular 3rd-party app is very good, and you will be pleased with the results. Just be sure to read the tutorial thoroughly, and ask any questions before proceeding. We're always here to help.
    "Terima kasih banyak" (Thank you so much) for your kindness. As a newbie i do really need information about win 10 as much as i can. I'll try what you suggested to me. So much apprecite.

    Ps: sorry for my bad english.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 6,216
    Win 10 Pro (1607)
       07 Oct 2016 #8

    Restoring from an incremental image means every incremental image back to the base image is used.

    Restoring from a differential image means the differential image and the base image are used.

    So the program to initiate backup (use image from macrium backup) all will be included in drive where i put my image backup in ? How many GB approximately needed for an image backup by macrium commonly so i can get flash drive that enough.
    1. Macrium is installed on your PC
    2. You also have a boot medium (e.g. for when the PC is unbootable or restoring the OS partition.
    3. When buying a single backup medium, my recommendation is to buy one twice the total size of the data you are backing up.

    Note that images are compressed: the base image is say 50% of the original. Incremental and differential images are much smaller. As time goes by a differential image is, of course bigger than, say, the 4th or 5th incremental.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2016
    Posts : 25
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       07 Oct 2016 #9

    dalchina said: View Post
    Restoring from an incremental image means every incremental image back to the base image is used.

    Restoring from a differential image means the differential image and the base image are used.



    1. Macrium is installed on your PC
    2. You also have a boot medium (e.g. for when the PC is unbootable or restoring the OS partition.
    3. When buying a single backup medium, my recommendation is to buy one twice the total size of the data you are backing up.

    Note that images are compressed: the base image is say 50% of the original. Incremental and differential images are much smaller. As time goes by a differential image is, of course bigger than, say, the 4th or 5th incremental.
    My C: drive has about 45GB used space. Will a 64GB usb drive be enough for its image backup?
    How about backing it up in my internal HDD? Or an external HDD? Is it still possible?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,115
    W10Prox64
       07 Oct 2016 #10

    ARNaja said: View Post
    My C: drive has about 45GB used space. Will a 64GB usb drive be enough for its image backup?
    How about backing it up in my internal HDD? Or an external HDD? Is it still possible?
    Hi.
    I would suggest using an external hard drive. You'd want to have a few images at a time; For instance, you could make weekly images and keep 8 of them at all times. A 45Gb backup will be compressed to about 60-70%. If you have an internal hard drive other than the one your operating system is installed on, you could also back up your images to it. An external might be better though, because you can disconnect it when not in use (protects from infection).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved System Image Backup Failure
My searches have not turned up anything about this. On my computer, attempts to create a backup fail repeatedly, with these errors: Error encountered when writing data to backup target (0x80780166) System cannot find the file specified...
Performance & Maintenance
Types of System Image
First off: I know about Macrium. Also, I use FreeFileSync to backup my personal files (Documents, Pictures etc.). This post concerns system images only: those made by Windows Backup and Restore routine.. There are 3 ways of creating a System...
Performance & Maintenance
System restore failure and no icons or thumbnails in Win 10
Hey Everyone, I was using my laptop last week to find all taskbar icons were all using a default icon and that the desktop icons and file explorer icons had all gone completely blank (no icons or Thumbnails). I also cant right click and...
General Support
Solved 0x80070057 error at the end of system image restore
A couple of days ago I made a system image backup (there were no error messages that it was unsuccessful), now I need to restore it, I boot Windows 10 DVD, point to a network location and start the restore, but after an hour or so, at the end it...
Performance & Maintenance
System Image Backup Failure, error 0x800423f3
I've been running two machines with Windows 10 x64 for a while now. I periodically run a system image backup (on each machine) to an external HDD just as an extra precaution, as I use EaseUS ToDo Backup Workstation 8.6 for my weekly system images. ...
Performance & Maintenance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums