I need help with fixing corrupted files.
There were 2 issues that were causing unacceptable performance of Windows 10 that started this saga. These did not appear right away but gradually became worse over time.
1) Boot up times are exceedingly long (14 minutes to get to log on screen; additional 14 minutes until system is usable)
2) Random episodes where system becomes unresponsive; have to wait up to several minutes before the system will respond to commands. This happens randomly. It has occurred while web serving, entering data on an Excel spreadsheet, typing in Word, etc. Does not seem to be related to having many apps open or just one. I do see 100% disk utilization on Task manager when these episodes occur.
OS Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.10586, did a clean install
Also Running latest version of Norton Security with Backup, all updates are current
has been running fine with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1
Note: I have left everything at stock settings, there has been no overclocking, etc.
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard with Intel i5-3570K CPU 3.4 GHz
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. P1.80 (6/15/2012), worked fine with Windows 8.1
NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti Graphics Card
8 GB memory
Virtual memory 9.15 GB Total, 7.65 GB available
HDD WD5000AAKS-22YGAO 500 GB, defragmented and optimized 427 GB free space
ATT Uverse Internet
NAS Synology Disk Station DS 207+
What I have tried:
Ran Windows maintenance and troubleshooting utility found no errors
Note: ran Windows System Memory test found no errors
I have uninstalled Google Chrome and use Internet Explorer, Bing, Edge.
Previously disabled Superfetch, Windows Search, Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Increased size of virtual memory
Ran startup repair
Tried disabling One Drive
Tried Storahci.sys registry edit fix
Tried rebooting in safe mode with networking; no improvement
Tired of amputating parts and wanted a real root cause fix so abandoned the above course of action and decided just to do a clean install and not save anything; wanted a rock solid base and will go through the exercise of reinstalling everything
After another clean install would have disk usage go to 100% for ~30 seconds whenever a clicked on new tab on IE.
Tried another clean install, reformat of disk to resolve gpt/msr
Have 4 partitions on disk
Drive 0 Partition 1 450MB
Drive 0 Partition 2 100MB
Drive 0 Partition 3 16MB (MSR Reserved)
Drive 0 Partition 4 465.2 GB primary
Sfc /scannow (repeated three times in a row as suggested several sites)
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and got cannot find source files message
Tried /source command for both WIM and ESD, (note the USB drive had install.esd file)
Checked hard drive using
diskdrive get status
returned status ok
verified HD is GPT
Tried downloading ISO file from Tech Bench and then copying onto empty USB stick; right click on the ISO file selected Mount
It “mounted” onto the DVD drive (in this case G even though there was no disk in the drive; verified that the file in G:\sources was install.esd
And did a clean install
Boot up times are now reasonable
With Edge the browsing issues appear to have been fixed
But still getting corrupted file messages from SFC /scannow and still cannot run repair from DISM even with /source commands, get error 0x800f081f
Verified I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 build 10586.164
Tried reformatting USB to NTFS but trying to download ISO file from Techbench would hang at 99%.
Reformatted USB stick to FAT32, was able to download ISO from Techbench and when mounted still have files in DVD G: drive as before.
Tried to run in administrator command prompt
C:\Windows\system32> DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:ESD:G:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess to point to install.esd in virtual G: drive. No joy.
I have looked everywhere on several sites to see if I could find already posted solutions, and perhaps I've missed something, but I've tried scripts posted in the forums without success.
I have posted a few screen shots to show admin command prompt screen and OS info to rule out simple things.
I have attached the DISM log for reference. The CBS log (16 MB) exceeded the 2MB file size limit so could not paste it.
I am out of ideas and hoping someone can help.