InformationThe Macrium Rescue environment is used to Backup/Restore/Fix Boot Problem and Copy personal data etc…Information
There are 3 ways to boot into Macrium Rescue environment from:
- Bootable CD/DVD ----> Too slow. Might become unbootable if it's dirty or scratched.
- Bootable USB Stick ----> Faster but still slow
- Dual boot -----> Fast but presented with dual boot menu, have to wait for the timeout or select and hit <ENTER>
Another option is to manually setup to boot from another (non OS) internal/external USB drive via Boot Menu or set the Boot Priority in BIOS.
The advantages to boot from another HD/SSD:
1. Loaded into RAM a lot faster than from CD/DVD/USB stick.
2. Not presented with a dual boot menu at Windows Startup and slow down the boot up process.
3. Located in another drive so if Windows OS becomes unbootable or HD/SSD failure.
You still can boot up into Macrium Rescue environment.
4. No need to look for CD/DVD/USB Stick to boot from.
The procedure is simple and only requires few steps as shown below:Tip
- On any internal, non OS HD/SSD Or On external HD/SSD. Shrink and create a 512MB partition (Macrium Rescue only requires about 260MB), format as FAT32 for compatibility with earlier version of EFI, temporarily assign a letter, e.g M for Macrium.
NOTE: Creating partition is not really necessary but just to separate Macrium files/folders with other files on the same HD/SSD.
- Copy the contents of the Rescue disk from USB/CD/DVD/mounted ISO to the root folder of M drive. The Files/Folders structure must be the same as the original.
- If the partition created in step 1 on a GPT disk, go to step 5. If the partition is on MBR disk, continue with step 4
- Open Admin Command prompt, type: diskpart -> List Volume -> Select Volume # for M drive -> Active
- After all done. Open Disk Management and remove the drive letter to make it hidden.
Reboot and test.
Here's an example:
From Boot Menu, there's should be 2 entries: One for MBR and the other for UEFI. Make sure to select correct one to boot from.
Hope this helps !!!
UPDATE: Added Video